• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TF 727 advices sought.

m880 unimog

i have a known good TF727 from an M884-it had the NP203 ? transfer case.

my M890 needs a fresh trans.

can i just bolt the rear snout from the 4x2 to the rear of the 727 from the 4x4 ?

i searched everywhere for manuals etc,but freely admit to being a bit of a [proud] computer neanderthal.....:shock:

i just know one or two of you guys will have this down.:beer:

goodbrewing

If I am not mistaken the 4X4 shaft is shorter than the 2X4. You might need to remove the guts and change shafts but if you can do that you might as well go a little further and rebuild the original. I have done a few and it isn't as hard as some would like us to think.

m880 unimog

hey gb, it does look similar ,i rebuilt a 727 on a charger many years ago,with no manual,there,s a lot inside them torqueflites,and they go back together different to how they came apart,if i remember right.
dropping the NP203? off shows a splined final drive shaft that looks similar to the output on the 4x2
trouble is im wrenchin on this truck in a muddy field,in the dark,so i cant be too detailed.
be easier when i get my hook truck up there and drag this thing back home to the bull beef barn.:twisted:

ps-loving that original paint on the avatar

Elwenil

To convert a 2WD 727 to a 4WD, you must disassemble both transmissions completely. The tailshaft must be swapped and it's the last thing out the front of the transmission on disassembly. Naturally the 2WD tail housing will have to be swapped for the transfer case adaptor. It's important to note that the 727 that mate to the NP203 will not mate to any other transfer case.

m880 unimog

thanks elwenil-tht,s also some good info there,i am going to fins a manual and put the rebuilt TF into my M890- get me a good v8 thing going again.:drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks