• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH 400 Replacement

tgtaylor64

I need to replace the TH400 in my 85 M1009. Can any GM TH400 bolt up? Must it be from a 4WD? Must it be from a diesel? Any short shaft vs. long shaft issues? I can find many but just want to get the right one, if it matters.

original

Any th400 will bolt up correctly; however, you are better off buying one from a 4wd. If you buy a 2wd th400 you will have to disassemble the old and replacement transmission in order to change the tail. If there is any way possible, save yourself some time and money and have it professionally rebuilt. You might as well flip a coin on any used transmission. I've had 4 out of 10 in various projects were the used transmission didn't last long. Do it right and know your ride is reliable. Good luck, mate.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that you would also want to re-use your old torque converter? The converter stall speed from a th400 on a 350 gas engine would be different than the 6.2 diesel.

Asmoday

The TH400's used in the CUCV's have a heavy duty case. The case will have a HD cast into it on the upper right portion of the bell. If you look up there with a flashlight and mirror you can see it. These cases are much beefier than your normal TH400 case and have a thicker flange area than even the regular truck cases where it bolts to the block. If you get yours rebuilt make SURE they use your case as the HD cases are very desirable. Rock crawler guys love them and they are considered some of the best TH400 cases you can get which can cause them to bring big money. I have seen a few CUCV's without the HD cases but as a rule they usually have them. If you have one... Keep it...!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks