• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 rebuild time.

ghambley

Well got the flex plate and starter all figured out and not the tranny is shot. Started out not shifting right ( High shifts) checked vacume line it was attached so tried to adjust it but no help so at this point I check the fluid and it is grey / silver either or it stopped moving. The fluid didn't look like this a few days before it was a nice reddish color with a normal smell no you can smell it's burnt. Now that the snow is going away I am going to pull it this weekend and tear it apart, never rebuilt a chevy transmission but have done a dodge 727 so should be about the same. Sorry for rambling on my question is what kit do you all recomend just stock or should I go hi pro? I don't think I need a tranny that will handle 1000HP+ but 500HP isn't that bad I don't see this truck ever getting that much abuse.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

V8Astro

TH400 is pretty easy. All the components are BIG and there's not much else in the trans. If you got the 727 to work you shouldn't have any trouble with the TH400 :)

Skinny

Cleanliness is godliness to an auto trans!

Take your time, measure all clearances, adjust clutches/brakes if necessary, and invest in a cooler.

Be sure to flush your TQ

Last edited:

ghambley

Thanks for the info any suggestions on rebuild kit brand? I won't know if I need the bands till I get it tore apart. I have been looking at alto red high performance seems to come with every thing except for the steel plates witch I won't need if mine are in good shape.

Skinny

Replace everything including steel plates. I do not recommend getting anything to fancy as harsh shifts get old on a DD. Keep it relatively stock unless you are going engine upgrades. Do not skip anything like adjusting clutch/brake engagement either.

sschaefer3

I used the B&M kit, my trans works really nice now. I hired an old guy who had worked at Chevy dealerships for years to do it. He told me about Phoenix in the 60's and re-building transmissions back then, which is rare as no one was here then. In the 60's. Kept the CUCV factory deep pan is it was deeper than the B&M aftermarket pan I bought.

ghambley

Got the pan off and didn't find any chunks just lots of fine stuff stuck to the magnet. So I am going to change the filter and refill and see what happens. If that doesn't help it I will rebuild it. But what does everyone think how much fine stuff is too much?

Skinny

Well what is it doing exactly? Did you stall test it? Does it shift through every gear? Early late shifts? Pressure tests on each port during certain conditions?

I would not recommend rebuilding if you can't diagnose the problem because at this point it could be anything causing the problem.

ghambley

It is acting very strange one day it will run fine then the next day it acts like all gears are gone except park. If I shift through the gears enough times when it's not working it will finally catch a gear.

HETvet

it sounds like the clutches are cooked. I get all my transmission stuff from PATC. I think their level 2 kit, minus the shift kit is right about were your wanting to be.

Skinny

Could be a stuck shift valve in the valve body. Inconclusive till you start the diag process. Fluid/filter change is a good start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks