• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Tansmisiion Pan Swap install and gasket recommendation...

Asmoday

Hello all,

I was recently given a new TCI Deep Cast Aluminum trans mission pan for the Th400 complete and new as part of a trade. Extended pickup and all is there. I like it because it has a drain plug. I was thinking of installing it during an upcoming trans and X-fer case service.

My question is what gasket do you all suggest running with the cast alum. trans pan? I know everyone seems to have recommendations on trans pan installs so they don't leak and I prefer not to have any leaks from the get go so suggestions on cork, ribber, fiber or duraprene?

Should I use any sealer or no? Loctite trans pan bolts?

Also...I still have a HMMWV deep TH400 factory steel pan with a drain plug. Is this any better or preferred over the cast aluminum? The TCI pan looks pretty stout.

Thanks!

jwaller

USe the tci and use a gasket called duraprene. It won't leak like cork and doesn't compress like cork so you can get it tight and not have the bolts back out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion there is only one fault with the aluminum pan, they don't take well to dents. Fortunately that usually isn't a problem on CUCVs. I have them on the shelf for both 700R4 trannys if I ever get around to doing the swap.

Skinny

Forget the gaskets, with a drain plug for easy service I would use a quality RTV. Seems like no matter what gasket you use, it will always drip or wick out somewhere. With RTV after it dries, you could pull the bolts out and it will still stay on leak free. It just makes a time consuming mess if you have to pull the pan everytime for service.