• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Trans bellhousing bolts

Corvette1974

OK so the two driver side bottom holes have bolts broken off in them, the side one seems to be stripped, and there is only 1 on the top and one on the passenger side. I attempted to put on in the top, but it bottoms out. Is a 1 1/2 inch long bolt too long? That is what I took out of the passenger side hole that is seemingly stripped to use as an example bolt.

Can I just get some 1 inch bolts instead of the 1 1/2 inch and use that so it wont bottom out?

Will

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the 9-2320-289-34P shows the bolts to be,

7 PAFZZ 96906 MS90728-63 SCREW,CAP,HEXAGON H 6

Google that and shazam... 3/8-16 X 1.38

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this was readily at your fingertips!

As for the broken bolts or stripped threads, time to pull the motor and repair them.

Corvette1974

Ok so heres the deal. I got the top two bolts in (only 1 was missing there), and I got both passenger side bolts in and torqued (none were missing here originally the hole wasnt actually stripped). So I have 4/6 Bolts in. Good enough for now (Especially since it was probably like that for a while!). I'll get a helicoil kit and drill/tap the driver side holes when I have the time/money.

What would cause two bolts on the driver side to break off in the block? I've never seen a problem with bellhousing bolts of any kind. They dont really seem to live a rust prone/break prone life. Whats the deal?

Will

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the wrong length bolt and bottoming it out, then continuing to tighten will cause them to break.

Corvette1974

PO induced bolt failure?
Using the wrong length bolt and bottoming it out, then continuing to tighten will cause them to break.

Hmm yeah I suppose but the PO didnt really own it for long or do anything with it/to it. It went from the military to service as a brush truck owned by like the department of forestry or something like that. So there were no bubba's in its past, but maybe a mechanic from either the military or the fire company messed it up. The bolts were not sheared off recently, there is rust that has formed on the back of the sheared bolts. I'm thinking it has been like that for a while.

Will