• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thailand 1992 archive photo

foxtrot

I had a rental car once in Thailand and when I looked at the heater controls there was no red at all! Only the blue side. Even up in Chang Mai it doesn't get all that cold.
The photo is from the Royal Thai Air Force Base in Korat.
The Thai-US Joint Meeting "Cobra Gold 92 "training exercise.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious if the US swingfire has any relations to the German swingfire, I have some of those somewhere. They are very similar to a pulse jet or the V1 rocket if you will, sounds just like one when running. at least the German ones would not be useful anywhere near the enemy as they are so damn loud.

They used these heaters in the radio trucks and all Unimogs had a receiver under the front bumper for one to preheat the engine, I always thought it was pretty dang slick that the exhaust pipe from the heater traveled back and had a loop in the bottom of the battery box to also preheat the batteries.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good catch Coug, I kept looking where he was describing it was, at the same level as the mirror, not plumb with the mirror.
I'd never actually seen it before, but in my experience anything with a vented guard like that is likely exhaust related, and the only thing I could think of that might have an exhaust pipe there would be an arctic/ personnel heater. After that it was just a quick search to find images that matched
Anyone ever wonder why there is a second pair of fuel lines on the hmmwv fuel tank?.....swingfire heater in the arctic kit.
wasn't it also for the ambulance body heater? Or did they also use the swingfire?
I believe there is at least one radio shelter body that has a built in generator as well, but not sure where it gets fuel from.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, that driver looks pissed, like " What the hell, you just dinged my HMMWV"
I’m curious because I was unable to be in the military. When you go out for whatever, do you get the same Humvee or do you just grab whatever is available.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m curious because I was unable to be in the military. When you go out for whatever, do you get the same Humvee or do you just grab whatever is available.
In my unit you were assigned a vehicle to take care of. Usually that would also be the one that you drove or rode in.
Sometimes it was just whichever vehicle for your particular duty section had seats in, or needed a driver for.

I was assigned to an M934A2 5 ton expando van. I was also part of the Ammo detail, and had hazmat on my license.
My 5 ton was set up as a portable office, so not good for hauling ammo, and too big for the amounts we used. Typically it was either a HMMWV for smaller loads, or an LMTV for larger. It would just be whatever vehicle from S3 (operations section) happened to be empty.

foxtrot

The driver's name is HUNTER, it is written on the windshield.
there must be the rank, the name and the first letter of the first name.
Following this accident, collision, he will be entitled to a written report.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks