• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That faint rattle sound just above idle...

Barrman

I think I am blessed to do more than 90% of all my driving in 6.2 powered former military vehicles. I have been doing this for years. Each of the 4 trucks has a different "normal" engine sound. We all know that the best description of a normal healthy 6.2 is "a washing machine full of lawnmower parts."

A few weeks ago I started to hear a new rattle in the old Blue Bomber USAF Suburban. Only just above idle when driving away from a stop. I had just replaced the alternator for the 5th time in 4 years. (Why Chevy put the small 12si on a diesel I will never know.) So, I checked that area out. I also had an a/c clutch explode around the same time, so I checked everything there. Nothing loose.

I brought it to my class to put on the lift. We did an alignment and found a few old alignment shims laying on the cross member. I figured that was it but still checked everything I could pull on or might look like a good rattle candidate while it was up on the lift. The noise was still there.

I figured it might turn out to be something stupid easy and harmless like the way the air filter housing makes different noises depending on how tight each wing nut is. I did check them too. Then I started hearing the rattle while slowing down to a stop and off the throttle. I could make it go away with throttle. To me that meant it had to be on the engine somewhere.

I went back under the truck again and found the engine bolt for the starter support bracket to be gone. The bracket and the starter heat shield was the source of the noise. I have never worked on that starter and really didn't even think about that as the noise source. It is also something you don't see when looking under the truck unless you are looking for it.

About the same time, Colton said he had a wierd sometimes rattle on RED. I drove it a few times and couldn't hear it. However, since I don't drive or even ride in that M1009 much anymore, I am not familiar with its normal noises. I crawled out from under the bomber after putting in a new bolt and crawled under RED. I already had the proper wrench in my hand and my arms were covered in slimy black goo, so it was the perfect time. Yep, the same bolt was loose.

I put that starter on 4 years ago and remember cutting a knuckle getting that bolt tight. The u-joint socket folded over and I hit the axle.

I checked my M1009 and the M715 to find those starter support bracket bolts all still tight. My M1009 burned up a solenoid in September of 2011. RED wasn't drivable then, so I took its direct drive starter and put it on my truck. I then put a rebuild redux starter on RED. The Bomber has a direct drive 12 volt starter.

I am posting this because we all know the normal sounds our trucks make. We also know the starter mount on the engine and those bolts are prone to snapping off. The starter support bracket has to be there. I have had a direct drive and redux drive support bracket bolt work its way loose. One of them I have never touched, so it isn't just my lack of tightening something. Nor is it just a direct drive or redux thing.

Add this bolt to your check list is my suggestion. I would also suggest if you have a new rattle, look here. Then go to the torque converter bolts which was going to be my next step.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks