• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That under dash cooking noise

edpdx

I have been reading all related threads about NO START conditions due to:

Bad Starter/Solenoid.
Bad Starter relays
Bad Glow Plug Relay
Bad Glow Plug modules

I keep getting two things out of them:

1. People describe hearing a "cooking, "sizzling, burning sound, akin to bacon frying before they experience a NO START gremlin. I'd like to know what that sound is- sometimes they also describe burning wiring smells.

2. People ask for help. They have all kinds of time to give detailed descriptions of their symptoms and are quick to follow-up with more questions. Once they get their problem solved though, many fail to post a resolution to complete the thread, they never seem to fini

HAWKMAN

That 'sizzle' sound under the dash is most likely the contacts in the starter relay welding themselves together, unless you do the 'Doghead starter relay repair' I'd carry at least one of these relays as a spare.2cents

Tlauden

I've been doing alot of reading here, going back 50-90+++ pages of threads looking for interesting ones that catch my eye. There are so many that have a good question, a few ideas, but no answer that actually solves the problem.

IMHO that opens up an opportunity for alot of repeat question and alot of threads that are semi worthless.... Just my 2cents

SGT Estum

I just figured out what my "SIZZLE" sound is. It's my glow plug relay. I know that's what it is because I left my key forward in the "run" position, the relay engaged, the wait light came on, then I waited for the relay to disengage. I waited because my batteries were a little undercharged, and I wanted full power for cranking (otherwise there would be draw from the glow plug system). When the glow plug relay went to disengage, I heard the sound and waited it out this time... eventually it stopped and my voltage gauge jumped back up.

Now to find the correct replacement part... I had it written down somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks