• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thats not engine oil

wkbrdngsnw

I went out this morning to check the fluid levels and found that I was about a quart low on engine oil so I reached in the back of the blazer and pulled out what I thought was a gallon of Rotella. It was a gallon of 85-140 gear oil in a container that looked very similar. I wondered why it was so hard to poor into the engine but I thought it was just cold. The thing that shocked me was that it didn't smell like gear oil. About 5 miles later I stopped and it was weird that it smelled like gear lube, then I looked in the back seat and there was the bottle of gear lube siting there instead of a bottle of oil. Next stop was the parts store and $40 later it had some fresh oil. The stuff that came out was the darkest, smelliest oil I've ever seen. No shavings in the oil and the oil light came on so I'm going to say that its good. It still makes me feel like an idiot.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Bet that gave the ole oil pump a workout!!!

A friend of mine was changing his oil and trans fluid one day and his GF wanted to help.
While he was underneath the car draining the trans pan, he told the GF to go ahead and put 4 quarts of oil in the engine.
You guessed it...she dumped 4 qts of trans fluid into the engine:roll:

Luckily he noticed...when he started looking for the fluid to fill the trans:oops:

2mtrucks

Back in the days when oil came in a can, I put a quart of red paint in my 71 Blazer engine. Fortunatly I noticed it but it was an expensive oil change.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:-D 2m, that is pure funny!

Wolf.Dose

Hey,
you engine would have survived the ATF filling and would have the engine cleaned up. Engine cleaning is done with pure Diesel fuel.
The 85-140 gear oil also realy would not destroy your engine, in cold temperatures it would make a hard start, if the engine still would reach 200 rpm minimum.
Wolf

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think of this, when I think of oil cans....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NxLtVG9_eg[/media]

steved454

I got 1961 America Lafrance open cab fire truck last year that had been sitting in a museum for 20 years. I clean out the fuel tank, bought $600 worth of batteries ( no cores to hand in) and she fired right up. It is a gas burner and I am now running desiel fuel in it to clean it out. can't wait to see the oil when I change it next week. Also expensive changing out the canister oil filters every oil change too!. Might have to check out the transmission oil in the engine thing. Oh yeh the truck only has 15,000 miles on it too.