• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 10x10 pls is home!

jesusgatos

Was kind of surprised when I jumped into this one for the first time - no "three-lever switch" - everything is rocker switches on the dash - from the blackout lights to the transfercase differential lockup. Has a single row of about 30 (yes thirty!) pop-out circuit breakers on the side of the doghouse for all of the systems - should be interesting.
Would love to see what that looks like.

paradeduty

Hey Guys -

Honestly, with my schedule, I kind of wimped out on the wrenching. Just general maintenance stuff. But it did need ALL of the hydraulic lines replaced on the crane (dryrot). I know the limits of my knowledge for "what looks good and what looks ready for replacement" on heavy trucks, so I let some pros that I trust do it. I'll stick to what I do well - electrical. So, it didn't need much else (mostly some "straightening of fender edges and mud shields/flap hangers). It has some small issue with the dash lights (I think it is the dimmer control because they are all out - it shows the procedure in the TM). Got a good deal on some 24 Volt Strobe Lights off E-Bay, so I'll have to put that on. There is already a factory bracket ober the back of the cab for it and a switch on the dash, so it really should be no big deal. May have to change the feed to the switch from 12V to 24V if neccessary (or pick up a multi-volt unit) as all of the lighting on the PLS is supposed to be 12V.

As far as the "accessories" for the PLS to carry on its back - been thinking about that. According to some data I saw once, the PLS with an 8' tall container (think "camper") on it is at 13'8" I think. Pretty sure that will get me in trouble sooner or latter. Have been toying around with building a "pop-up" (think crank-up, or maybe hydraulic or air) enclosure. I think it would look better with a lower profile, too. Wouldn't catch as many trees either. Just a bit of fabrication, so it may have to wait. The Military does have quite a few "specific application" loads for the truck. I have heard of a dump bed, mechanics setup, concrete factory, field kitchen, not to mention the flatracks for general loading. I have 2 of the flatracks in nice shape - one for the truck and one for the 1076 trailer. I have to be a little realistic in what type of loads I get for it as most of them I will never get any real use out of for the money and maintenance involved, not to mention storage space to keep them from rotting away before my eyes.

I'll get some pictures of the cab and dash, etc. next time I'm working on her. Going to have the dash open anyways to get to the dimmer switch. Ah yes, nothing like spaghetti in the morning!

Dave.

paradeduty

Dash Pictures

OK - stole about an hour between appointments and tinkered with the dash a bit. Yup, it is a bad dash light dimmer, but kind of odd, the dash lights are on whenever the ignition is in the "on" position, even with the "marker" lights off. Have to trace that down. Check out the Dash Pictures - it is pretty funky having 2 separate voltage meters. Pictures to follow.

Dave.

Attachments

Last edited:

paradeduty

Sorry Plowboy -

Didn't mean to cost you any sleep over that dastardly mudflap! Personally, I like them better without them, but you gotta keep 'em legal like. Working from the "obvoius things" first to the more "appearance things" later.

Dave.

rickf

Electrical was my specialty before I retired from automotive work. It is not really all that bad as long as you take the time to think it out. Now Military wiring is real fun! All one color, or in this case it looks like maybe two colors. This is when you use wire marker tags. That is one beast of a truck.

Rick

paradeduty

Hey Rick,

Yup, I have gotten used to the wire tags. Still catch myself trying to trace down a #16 wire and then realizing that it is a #91 wire (typically for grounds, I think, at least on the headlights)! Just been putsing around after work scuffing and "rattle can painting" the "PLS Hubcaps" so they are a little more presentable for the show on Sunday. The purpose of the "hubcaps" is to protect all of the air lines, valves, etc., for the Central Tire Inflation System. And it has done its job quite well on a few of the rims! Just trying to mask some of the battle scars. That's one thing that I like about playing/collecting military trucks - very few folks really expect them to be perfect. I have taken more than one truck to a parade with it's share of mud slung around on her! Still have one old Deuce that sat in the yard for a bit waiting for barn space back then. Took it to a parade and the kids were having a riot of a time - at their level, they had a perfect view of the bird's nest that a feathered friend had built on the spare tire hanger! It was funnier than he!!. Had to leave it there for a few more parades!

Dave.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks