• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 4A084 engine

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This air cooled engine, which is used in the 10KW genset, is sometimes also used in ultralight aircraft (can't find any quick references, but anyhow), so how much of the following would apply to this engine?
Aviation Oil Facts

Jones

I've always heard that oils don't wear out, they just get saturated with impurities-- so that part I'd buy. As to oil change frequency, properties, benefits...
I think I'd put more validity in a write-up by an agency like the FAA or the SAE.
They, unlike Phillips or any other oil company, aren't trying to sell you a particular product-- just give you unbiased research and application data.

Bjorn, are you planning to launch your own air wing?
If so, be sure of the airworthiness cert. on anything you climb into... or strap on your back.
And always remember; "Never fly higher than you want to fall".

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn:
Hello! I hope your summer's projects are going well. I agree with the recommendations, following them with my Cessna. My FBO mechanics also agree with it.
The manuals for my 4A032 engines say to use OE 30 weight above +40 degrees F and OE 10 weight for +40 degrees to -10 degrees F. I use Shell 10W30 automotive in them year around with no problems, at least so far.
If you want to use multigrade aviation oil, I think it would work fine, but it is pricey.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I love this little engine and kind of assumed that using regular engine oil was another of the compromises by the military (using something on-hand), like using engine oil in transmissions etc.
I have ordered 5 quarts of 20W50 aviation oil and at less than $5/qt, not terribly expensive. (According to many references, SAE 30 is equivalent to 20W50 oil.)

Last edited:

ida34

The operating conditions between the genset and the airplane similar. Both run at fixed high RPMs for extended periods of time unlike auto engines that typically vary and are typically running lower RPMs while cruising. I would think the genset could benefit from aviation oil. The only problem I see is the genset would be operating in a more dusty environment than the aviation engine. The aviation engine spends most of the time in a relatively dustless area at altitude.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil a while back to 20w50 aviation oil. The engine is a bit quieter with the heavier viscosity oil. A sample of the old oil has been sent off for analysis...

Attachments

jbk

ive used 20-50 mobil one syn. motorcycle oil in a genset with this engine for a while now. was using syn. 20-50 harley davidson motorcycle oil .changed for cost reasons. tried straight 40, 15-40 also but settled on the 20-50 seems to pump lifters up faster. these oils are for air cooled motorcycle engines.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received the report from the lab and the only thing abnormal was the amount of water in the oil, 0.1% , which may be a result from not running the engine long enough at temperature to let it boil off. Probably just condense water from long periods of sitting.

Anyway, the oil has been changed and I'll run it longer and more often in the future....