• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 5-Ton HMTT is home!

paradeduty

Well Everyone, after al lot of patient years (about 15) the truck that I have been waiting for is finally home!!

About 1994 I stumbled on this truck at a research facility and it finally came up for auction and I was lucky enough to be able to bring her home.

From everything that I have been able to put together, it is a one-off custom prototype put together by TACOM in Michigan back in the mid to late 1970's.

I believe that it was a test bed to check the viability of some ideas/equipment for use on the soon to be designed HEMTT series of trucks.

Note - this truck is not a HEMTT but rather a HMTT (High Mobility Tactical Truck).

This truck does appear in the "U. S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" book by Fred Crismon on bottom left of page 394.

Again, I think this is the only one of these built, at least on a 5-ton chassis.

The only change of signifigance that seems to have occured over the years is the self-loading crane (by HIAB). Seems to be a slightly different unit with manual outrigger supports.

Dave

Attachments

1stDeuce

Hey, I remember that truck from when I worked at KRC when I was at Michigan Tech. Where did it finally get auctioned off?? I think it wasn't there when I graduated, about 1997, but it might have been... I remember the big yellow trailer. And a red PowerWagon with deuce axles under it...

Congrats on getting it, I bet you're excited!!! Is it up there, or already in Chelsea? I wouldn't mind checking it out when it gets down here... Perhaps when the weather is warmer too... :)
Chris

paradeduty

Hi 1stdeuce -

Yup - that's the one. matter of fact I know of the power wagon you speak of - saw it up there quite a while ago but they said that it left a few years back. I have pics i should post of it.

I just think that it is pretty cool being built by the army as opposed to being outsourced.

paradeduty

I did get her back home. she runs pretty good. I think first and second of the allison five speed need some work as they may be slipping - but seems to run pretty good. Runs the current 16.00-20's and uses the M656 basic drivetrain.

paradeduty

I have to have a welder buddy fab up a new front bumper - must have gotten yanked.

want to remove/relocate the two roof floods and replace the outer kenworth clearance lights to original.

have to reconfigure hydro pump as the prototype crank clutch/coupling went south a while ago and is currently awol.

prototype rear radiator assembly is fine though.

everything else seems to be pretty small stuff.

still has the Swiss made side mounted recovery winch.

have to get hydro working to test crane and winch.

wsucougarx

Man, does it look cold!!! I'm shivering from looking at those pics. Congrats on your newest acquisition. Todd, you still have room for another vehicle?:wink:

ida34

That warrants a five mile drive to Chelsea to check it out. We have to get together sometime. At least get to the same parade. Looks great.