• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The $820 M109A3 Resurrection

x-ray

The $820 M109A3 Resurrection Update - Transfer Case Issue

This is a story of a $820 GL Deuce I won on auction last November (2010).
Doghead was kind enought to do a retrieve & store for me until the snow went away this spring. Doghead brought it down to my place in April and I thought it was going to be a parts truck, axles out, messy. Unfortunately OR fortunately, the darn thing started up So It was deemed a restoration project.

I finally got it on the road this week after puttering on it all spring & summer.
  • New bearings & seals
  • Grease, lots of grease!
  • New brake lines
  • New or refurbed wheel cylinders
  • master cylinder
  • tach & cable (thanks to gimpy rob & doghead)
  • temp sender unit
  • hoses
  • belts
  • filters
  • upholstry & foam
  • new tranny top (thanks to doghead!)
  • new fluids -ALL
  • new electric wipers
  • turn signal box
  • headlight & few minor bulbs
  • rotate tires
  • new soft top - painted tan one to match (thanks to Clinto GF!)
  • lots of time
  • paint
  • sanded rear floors & refinished box room
  • minor nuts & bolts
  • muffler (its a non-turbo)
  • seat belts - apparently never had them in it.
This truck was interesting. The tranny was filled with water (no gear oil) when we got it. Someone inthe Army left the shift lever boot off. Thankfully the tranny was in good shape, and gear oil clung to the gears and there was hardly any rust. The top of the tranny was siezed up and not worth My effort, Doghead helped me track down tranny top and it was easy to install. some cleaning out and it was good to go. Amazing luck on that.

Lots of little items here and there.

I figure the truck sat for maybe 7-10 years as there was some documents in it - calendar from 2001 in the back and some other 2001 dated papers. Also had 2 full CO2 extinguishers, 2 mouse nests in the seats, and a birds nest in the tail under the box bed.

The body was actually very rust free and the box was really nice. It has a Army equipped sink, and clothes closet (no toilet) but would hold a refirgerator and gun safe just fine and is wired with a 100ft umbillicle std 110V plug and has been wired for 12V outlet by the army in the box. It looks like it was an officers or other office. It was dirty and messy, and smelled like rotten canvas - My wife would call this smell ode-de army truck cologne when I smelled of it.

It runs real good now, looks a little better with the Gillespie 24087 paint and stenciles from Rick Larson. It runs very very well and shifts real smooth. Its a non turbo, and its top speed is about 52 MPH according to its dash. But I'm real happy with its performance and proud to bring it back.

Before Pics:

M109 Orginal interior.jpg

M109 interior.jpg

Marshall 109 truck front passenger side.jpg

Marshall 109 truck front.jpg

Marshall M109 Truck Back side.jpg

After (current 8/7/11) pics

Its my third deuce, but I learned more and did more on this truck than any other. Almost dine, just got to wire up the buck up lights, 12V converter and a few minor touch ups.

Thanks to everyone on this site especially doghead, gimpy and a few of my close local friends.

Attachments

Last edited:

x-ray

Dang I forgot to add the pic of the refinished interior - Here she is:

It looks a little different.

I forgot to mention all missing parts (front hubs, bolts, etc) were in the toolbox or under the seat, was less to buy than I thought, but more other little things. Still a great project:beer:

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like that would make it brittle and not last as long? How long did you have the previous painted ones? It does look good though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. I wonder if one could still buy that 70's looking interior paneling? I have an S-280 that I'm going to be working on and I like the paneling, kinda like time travel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks great! Nice work.

Here's a few pics of it the day I picked it up.

btw, this reminds me , I need to install a heater in my truck before the snow flies! Too hot out to do it right now.

Attachments

Last edited:

armytruck63

Looks great. I wonder if one could still buy that 70's looking interior paneling? I have an S-280 that I'm going to be working on and I like the paneling, kinda like time travel.
Don't forget the orange shag carpeting, the egg chair, disco ball, and the 8-track player. [thumbzup]

x-ray

Seems like that would make it brittle and not last as long? How long did you have the previous painted ones? It does look good though.
Actually it seems to be holding well. I've got 2 years on my repainted M35A2 soft top and I used Marine green and Krylon camo on the vargo cover. They look like canvas.

Take a look at this pic,

It had camo soft top and cargo cover now painted, still looks great.

I have trie some fancy fabric paint and OD Krylon and Gillespie on the inside og the cargo cover to test, and actually all three test spray spots are holding up for 2 years. No cracking at all. I think the trick is cleaning the to with good detergent and scrub brush and do light coats. Time will tell if the glossy 24087 will hold up as good on this M109A3 as the flatter paints did on my other. If not , its easy to touch up with more spray paint.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decades from now, people will be spreading rumors about GREAT TRUCKS from UNCLE SAM for UNDER $1000 ! Others will say they are just rumors or wives tales. But we know better. We "were alive back then".

Kinda like those $50 Jeep-in-a-crate stories, huh?

You've got yourself a wunnerful truck there. Good work, and great teamwork on the recovery.
:beer:

x-ray

I like it!! what's behind the door?
Its just a clothes closet:sad:. I was hoping for a forgotten stash of M16s, maps of Saddam's hidden gold stash, or even a toilet - (Note the pick from the GL lot has a roll ot toilet paper in it - Where there's smoke, there could be fire ;-)

I opened it up and there were 5 old style wire coat hangers on a wooden dowell. Oh well -

I am thinking of doing a few more things to the back when cash supply replenishes. I want to put a small dorm room refrigerator & storage locker/cabinet in the closet.

I was thinking a couch/futon and a portable TV and generator and lots more - a few threads on here about bug out M109s can get you really thinking.

It may be a mobile hunting cabin or mancave someday, will keep you guys posted.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks great! Nice work.

Here's a few pics of it the day I picked it up.

btw, this reminds me , I need to install a heater in my truck before the snow flies! Too hot out to do it right now.
Don't mean to hi jack, but is that a military trailer being used in the pictures? If so what is the model number?