• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Beast

TexanOnTheMove

1992 M934A2 front.jpgHello everyone at Steel Soldiers and happy Friday!! A couple weeks ago, I purchased on GL and a week later picked up my first MV.:driver: A 1992 BMY M934A2. What a truck and I love it! 17' expansible van, 30' long, Cummins 6CTA8.3 turbo diesel and CTIS! It's a dream to drive and rolls so smooth!:tank:

I've been looking over the forum here and been trying to find out what weight of motor oil to use in it. I've seen 15W40 and 30W. I've already flushed the cooling system on it (it came out black as coal, then dark brown). I've just received all the filters for it and plan to start changing the oils in it this weekend. Also, what weight of oil is used in the axles? Allison transmission oil? I've already downloaded all the TM's for my M934A2 and have been scouring over them. Referencing the oil call list is confusing to say the least as to what weights the oils are.

I've been bitten by the MV bug and I'm loving it!:jumpin:

Charley Pesnell
SFC, U.S. Army
Retired

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Welcome, this is a great a place for info. Nice to see another person from the eastern shore on here. I don't own the 6CTA8. Im sure if you seach on here, oil viscosity will be some where. Having said that, we use 15w40 in all our diesels. Cats, Cummins, IH, Fords etc
How did you tag it? Its got to be 25 years old to be historic in Maryland, just curious. To tag as a regular vehicle would mean getting it inspected and higher insurance.

Last edited:

TexanOnTheMove

Thanks, who do you recommend as far as oil brand. I'm not trying to break the bank on this oil change with synthetic, which I use in all my other vehicles, but this oil change will be huge at 17 quarts!

TexanOnTheMove

Thanks for the info. I'm still working on tagging my truck. I have an appt next Friday to get it inspected and will get temp tags for it next Tuesday. Insurance is not bad, got it through State Farm for under $400 for 6 months!

F18hornetM

Good deal on the insurance and good luck on the state inspection. You may have to add a tag light if the inspector is picky and of course make a rear tag bracket. Other than that, I cant think of anything that wouldn't pass. Likely as not, they will never have inspected one of these before. I wouldn't use synthetic oil. Although I think its awesome, I have to many vehicles to justify the cost and I believe vehicles need to be looked at more often than 10,000 miles. Just my 2 cents worth as everyone has their own ideas.

TexanOnTheMove

I've just about got my M934A2 ready for inspection, had to cancel pervious appointment. She's all serviced, greased, flushed radiator and topped off. Had to replace all the reflectors on the van, replace the right headlight, replaced missing drivers outside door handle/latch and fix a couple rust spots on the hood. Fabricated a rear license plate holder with light and added a front licence plate (drilled 4 holes). Hear are some recent pics. The first one is my friend Steve (rode his Harley down from PA to help me pic up my truck) and my wife (she doesn't even come to the top of the fender!), 2nd, 3rd, 5th & 6th are pics of the van expanded out:
M934A2 front expanded.jpgM934A2 inside van front.jpgM934A2 inside van rear.jpgM934A2 left front.jpgM934A2 rear expanded.jpgM934A2 rear.jpgM934A2 right side.jpg

Last edited:

TexanOnTheMove

Update: Had my 5 ton inspected and it FAILED! **** Maryland and its liberal laws!! Now I have to add a bunch of lights to my MV. 3 red lights in the back between the taillights, Amber corner lights at the very top of the van and red corner lights on the rear of the van. 5 cab lights and reflectors on the bottom of the van. My drag link also failed! said it flexed to much!! I looked high and low for a new one and finaly found one in Germany for $203.74 delivered. Anywhere else I looked, they wanted $650-895 for one! OH, and state inspection in MD cost $286.

RedBlok

Nice Truck - Hopefully you get it passed thru inspections. I will get ready to do mine in Va once my SF 97 comes from GL. I really like the 934a2, but got a 923a2 because I have some work I need to do at a farm. Good Luck and welcome to the club.

TexanOnTheMove

UPDATE: Picked up my MV from the inspection station yesterday and it passed!! Wooo Hooooo!! Now I can register "THE BEAST"! I had to add 5 amber cab lights, amber clearance lights to the front corners of the van, red clearance lights to the rear corners of the van, 3 red ID lights between the taillights, 2 amber and 1 red reflector on each bottom side of the van, clean the powersteering pump and steering box and replace the drag link.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks