• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The big trip and a new MV.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bleeder attaches to the vent on top of the master cylinder cap. There is a port in the floor to access the master cylinder. Don't drive that truck an inch without checking it. Many folks add a remote reservoir to check. Single circuit brakes on a deuce means that any hydraulic failure is a critical failure as you will lose 100% of your brakes. If you aren't familiar with deuce brakes, study threads on them now. I've had 2 failures in my life, its a puckering experience.

AZK9

... I have no experience with thedeuce, and no experience with MV's in general. In this, I feel my next move iseither going to be a great adventure or a dumb mistake, and I have no ideawhich.
...The big problem is that I live in Destin, Florida, andthis vehicle is located in Lynchburg, Virginia. I am okay with driving thedistance to get it, and driving back, but am I crazy for trying? ...

Hi jking615...

Welcome out from the shadows!

Now that you've decided to post, you'll be able to exchange communications withSS members
such that you can now more closely tailor information to your specific needs and educational path.

I've read everything that has been posted since youopened this thread. I agree with most all
of the tips, cautions and suggestions made so far, but there are a few things that I have learned
(by actual deuce-driving experience in a variety of highway situations) that, for me, has been the
most valuable aspect of my deuce education. I’d like to share it with you,because I feel it is important.

One simple, quick tip I’d like to add is:

Carry at least one large fire extinguisher and have it at-the-ready.

The main thing I feel needs to be pointed out is the importance of:

Knowing how to handle driving a deuce in public and keeping safe in the process.

I am fairly new to deuce ownership. I acquired a 1970 M35A2 for my MV project.I love it. It’s a great truck, but it took
me a lot of time to decide that this particular deuce was best for my needs. After personally checking out many trucks, I
felt pretty good about the potential road worthiness of the one I now own. Still, it’s an old vehicle and IMO it’s important
to keep that in mind.

No matter how great the apparent condition… inside and out, top to bottom… it seems (in my experience) that there’s
always something to be found that needs replaced, fixed, upgraded, or simply adjusted. I’m doing my best to go over
my deuce to prepare it for a trip from New Jersey to Arizona. I’ve done a lot to it so far and each time I complete a
stage in the restoration process, I take the deuce back out on the road and test it. I’ve driven it about 1000+ miles
since I began working on it. I’ve had a few setbacks, but because my road testing ‘loop’ keeps me relatively close to
tools and a tow… things have not been too bad so far when ‘STUFF’ happens. Still… I’m well aware that ‘Murphy’ is never
far enough away from my efforts!

Sometimes I think I’m crazy for thinking I can drive this truck along the 3000+ mile path I plan to travel. IDK. But crazy
or not, I do know my truck better than I ever imagined I would. Each day that I take it out on the road and put myself in
new and different traffic/road conditions, I become better able to cope with what I consider my greatest concern
while driving the deuce: other drivers! Other drivers are dangerous, because they are often distracted and completely
unaware of what it means to have a big, slow-moving MV in their proximity! IMO, the typical driver zipping and zooming
around, in today’s world… is what I first worried about when I began reading of your plans.

I really don’t like to say negative things about folks in general, but distracted drivers are a growing breed of dangerous,
irresponsible vehicle operators out there… and… they are my single biggest concern by a L-O-N-G shot while driving my
deuce around town, or on a highway!!

If you really do not have experience driving a deuce (like the one you plan to buy), in my opinion… you’ve got to get
some time-behind-the-wheel, before you attempt to run this one from VA to FLA. There might be some local folks who
could help you to log some hours-of-experience and gain an understanding of the unique aspects of deuce operation.

I’ve got a ton of experience driving many types of trucks and large vehicles. From dumps, tractors and fire trucks to 18-
wheelers and SAR vehicles… and with all that, the deuce experience has proven to be unique. I know that lots of folks on
this site have driven many thousands of successful miles over ‘high speed’ interstate highways, but IMO… especially with
no full understanding of what it means to be behind the wheel of an unknown, M35A2, I… in good conscience… must at
least caution you. Planning a slow, back-country road type of route will not be without potential perils, but… during my
deuce travel experience… I’ve learned that it ‘tends’ to be a safer way to go than on the highways.

Don’t get me wrong… I want you to get a deuce! But, I want your experiences to be as safe and positive as possible. Ask
questions of others, study the TMs and threads. Learn as much as you can through reading and research, but… be sure
to add plenty of behind the wheel time to your efforts!

There is also a good thread here on SS which helps point out things that folks can do to increase safety while driving an
MV. I will look for it in hopes of adding a link to it later.

High visibility items like brightly painted and reflective objects and lighting devices help to draw the attention of
distracted drivers to your slow-moving MV! In any case… welcome to the site. It’s good to hear from you!

I wish you luck! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

jking615

Thank you very much. I understand the distracted driver problem well, and its amazing how many there are. I do a lot of towing and am very familiar with the dangers of the interstate when things go wrong. I know this doesn't make me in any way shape or form an expert on MV's, but I feel that operating large manual transmission vehicles does give me a small bit of help on the learning curve.

I do have a large marine fire extinguisher at the ready, and am glad that you reminded me to grab it. I intend on fully inspecting the vehicle to the military's specs, and following the TM's as close to the T as I can. After reading everything you guys are telling me, I am feeling far more confident about all this. I know bad things can happen, and eventually WILL happen, but I am feeling like I can do this now.

FloridaAKM

Add all the knowledge together from the previous posters & try to remember it to the best of your ability. It is worth its weight in gold in you have any issues. That said, I got the bug a few years ago & drove one home from Blue Ridge, Georgia thru Atlanta (got cut off @ the exit to the bypass) in one afternoon/evening/morning. I followed most of the info these guys offered that applied to me & it was golden, the trip will be forever etched in my mind. Good luck on your recovery trip & remember that NDT tires are like skates on ice, avoid @ all costs! be safe!

Welcome to the site & to the Green Iron Madness!

AZK9

... I know this doesn't make me in any way shape or form an expert on MV's, but I feel that operating large manual transmission vehicles does give me a small bit of help on the learning curve.

... I am feeling far more confident about all this. ...
Glad to know you've got BIG vehicle... manual transmission experience. That's great to hear! [thumbzup]

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have received some great suggestions. There's an old mechanics saying concerning vehicles in general, something about if you push a vehicle beyond what it is accustomed to doing, it will break. For this reason, I agree with AZK9 that backroads might be better. If you hit the interstate it's almost impossible to maintain a slow and reasonable Deuce speed with everyone else whizzing by. That gets dangerous, too. Also, on smaller roads, like state highways, you are usually not isolated from help as you are if between exits on 'the slab'. My 2c.

Bob

TsgtB

You should have a blast with a deuce out in Destin, that is a beautiful place to live.
Just take your time and enjoy the trip, i think i hit 51mph on my trip home with mine.
Have a great, safe trip and post up your experiences and questions so we can share the fun.

AZK9

Here's the safety link I mentioned in a previous post:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134291-Roadside-safety-Stay-Alive!

Also... I made this simple 'caution plank' that can be easily attached to the rear of a deuce!

It is AMAZING how differently people drive in situations both with and without this HIGH visibility device on
the deuce! It's like night and day!

If they see you... even the worst drivers... will usually take measures to avoid crashing into you!

Here are a couple of pics of my easy-on-easy-off (non lighted version) of my 'caution-plank'.

rsz-M35-CautionPLANK.jpg rsz-M35CautionPlank-edges.jpg

Katavic918

Might want to break loose the lug nuts before starting. Remember, the passenger side is right hand nuts and the drive side is left hand. Just remember to always pull toward the rear of the truck. Nothing like a road side flat change when someone has torqued the bejeezes out of them. Took a 3/4" ratchet, an 8 foot pipe, and me jumping on it to break mine loose. Oh...and a jack....you'll need a jack. Maybe some extra belts also. Air compressor belt is Napa part number 25-9510 (you need 2). Alternator belt is Napa part number 25-9476.

jking615

The good news is I know this truck runs, upon careful review of the photos on CL, I found that the picture of the dash cluster was with the truck operating. I also noticed that the truck was moved between photos which means not only does it start, but It also can move under its own power. Little victories right? I will be picking up some belts and bringing my full tool crate with me for this trip, and have a backup driver with me and a trailing car behind. So anybody can correct me on this, but here is my list for the trip.

$7k
My stuff (Clothes and other stuff)
Hearing Pro for anybody in the cab
Big Fire extinguisher
2 Air Compressor belts
alternator belt
Jack
socket set
Headlamp
Flashlight
Portable device battery
Walkey Talkey for the chase vehicle
"Magic Recovery4x4 brake bleeding kit"
Amber rotating beacon or a "Magic AZK9 Caution Plank"
Roadside vest
E-flares
Orange roadside triangles. (No idea what they are called but i own 5)
TM's (Not all 5k pages of documentation, but probably the operator's troubleshooting manual, preventative maintenance pages, lube order, and the Systematic Inspection Procedure.)

That's what I have for now. What else am I missing? I know that there is bound to be some important items I am leaving out.

Also, what is the modern consumer oils, diff fluids,etc. for running in the deuce, or do I have to special order the fluids? Synthetic or Conventional?

I am but a stupid MV fledgling. You are the masters, teach me your ways.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good news is I know this truck runs, upon careful review of the photos on CL, I found that the picture of the dash cluster was with the truck operating. I also noticed that the truck was moved between photos which means not only does it start, but It also can move under its own power. Little victories right? I will be picking up some belts and bringing my full tool crate with me for this trip, and have a backup driver with me and a trailing car behind. So anybody can correct me on this, but here is my list for the trip.

$7k
Big Fire extinguisher
2 Air Compressor belts
alternator belt
Jack
socket set
Headlamp
Flashlight
Portable device battery
Roadside vest
E-flares
TM's (Not all 5k pages of documentation, but probably the operator's troubleshooting manual, preventative maintenance pages, lube order, and the Systematic Inspection Procedure.)

That's what I have for now. What else am I missing? I know that there is bound to be some important items I am leaving out.

Also, what is the modern consumer oils, diff fluids,etc. for running in the deuce, or do I have to special order the fluids? Synthetic or Conventional?

Good list!

Ask the seller if his truck still runs the stock DOT 5 Silicon brake fluid. Don't mix DOT 5 with DOT 3. It gets lumpy and obviously will mess up your brakes.

I've tried it, I'm not sure you'll be able to hear or be heard via the hand held radio, but it's better than nothing.

I'd suggest 1 small fire extinguisher that is like CO2 or Halon. For if there's an engine problem and you some how get a "run-away" engine scenario. You can spray that extinguisher into the air intake on the passenger fender to kill the engine. A non-powder producing extinguisher to displace the air and prevent cumbustion while not ruing your engine.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is on Glycol DOT3 what are the dangers and more importantly, how would I go about swapping it to Silicon?
If it has DOT3 in it don't change till you get it home! Dot 3 is fine if you are in the vehicle every day driving somewhere. But for most MV's, the DOT 5 does not attract moisture when they sit from month to month without going anywhere. 20-30 mile jaunts every week will keep DOT 3 OK. If you are not running it more often than that you should switch over (back) to DOT 5. It will just take a bunch to completely bleed out.

Plane Fast

$7k
Big Fire extinguisher
2 Air Compressor belts
alternator belt
Jack
socket set
Headlamp
Flashlight
Portable device battery
Roadside vest
E-flares

Don't forget jack stands, and some wood cribbing. You never know what the terrain will be.
Also.. Sounds dump, but at least two rolls of good quality duck tape. (And zip ties) I managed to get a larger trolley truck off of I-10 just out side Slidell LA. After the throttle cable broke on the rough roads, with just zip tie and duck tape.

jking615

Don't forget jack stands, and some wood cribbing. You never know what the terrain will be.
Also.. Sounds dump, but at least two rolls of good quality duck tape. (And zip ties) I managed to get a larger trolley truck off of I-10 just out side Slidell LA. After the throttle cable broke on the rough roads, with just zip tie and duck tape.
You don't have to tell me twice about zipties and Ducktape. As an avid offroader, my jeep is full of zipties, and my soft top is probably 60% ducktape at this time.

Scrounger

I may have missed if someone mentioned the ability to put air in a tire. The standard GI set up with an air line with a glad hand on one end and a Milton setup on the other end comes in handy. I personally prefer a glad hand with an air fitting and use stand air lines. That way one can use an air chuck, air tools or whatever you may need. A ½” breaker bar is something to have to check the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and the differentials.
A bag of shop rags and hand cleaner should always be in the cab.
And one thing that I recommend is a nice large insulated beverage container to drink from when driving.

jking615

I may have missed if someone mentioned the ability to put air in a tire. The standard GI set up with an air line with a glad hand on one end and a Milton setup on the other end comes in handy. I personally prefer a glad hand with an air fitting and use stand air lines. That way one can use an air chuck, air tools or whatever you may need. A ½” breaker bar is something to have to check the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and the differentials.
A bag of shop rags and hand cleaner should always be in the cab.
And one thing that I recommend is a nice large insulated beverage container to drink from when driving.
I nearly forgot my air setup. Glad you said something. That would have been a mess if I got there and couldn't fill the tires.