• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The cargo tarp seams are splitting. How do you fix?

tractorpuller1

I have a "new" cargo tarp and after 10 months, the seams are splitting.

I there a glue I can use to repair this before it becomes useless?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks! 2cents

jasonjc

It mite help the cover last longer if you put it on right. It looks to be on backwards. Or it may just be the pic.

tractorpuller1

Backwards! I have it on backwards? The vents are on the outside. The loops for tying up the sides are on the outside. It fits fine.
The inside is only just green, not camo.

Thanks for the info.
Where do I get the Pliobond?

Larry

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks backwards to me. I just took mine off for Friday's Christmas parade or I would get you some pics of what is backwards from mine.

Edit - looks like we posted at the same time.

Jimma

My superrope eylets are letting go as well. There is no glue or adhesive even visible. I need some glue suggestions.

wsucougarx

Jimma I used Gorilla Glue on my eyelets. I used a piece of wax paper, couple pieces of wood and a clamp. The wax paper will prevent the glue from sticking to the wood that you're using to apply equal pressure on the contact points. Only use a little bit or you'll have an unsightly mess on your hands.

Kaiserjeeps

Pliobond will handle the job just fine. I use it for all kinds of restorations. I shortened my duece cargo cover with it years ago and it is doing better than any other adhesive product I have used. It sticks like crazy to metal, glass and especially fabrics and canvas. It's fuel proof. It's UV resistant. It's made for stress.
Where else can you buy a product that boasts what they do on the label and really do it?
I would suggest pliobond with a rubber strip backing all the way arond the seam. I use inner tubes a lot wiped down with IPA. Make it 1 inch past the splitting seam on each side and never have to deal with it again. I trace the rubber strip with a pen to keep the glue where it is supposed to be. It will also make it water proof again if done neatly.:ditto:

Pliobond completely rocks.

ABN173

Shoe Goo at walmart in the shoe dept.
seriously? will that work? my super rope eyelets are coming off, is this the answer?
It should, we used Shoe goo to re-enforce seams and stitching on our Gilly Suits (for sniper ops crawling and sliding on the ground) and the stuff works great!
I have also used it on some ice hockey skates cause I used to do spinning knee slides and the skates were wearing out on one area.

-Dale

Akicita

Please, post a picture when you have the tarp on right so that all of us can see the difference.
I drive my Deuce "topless" almost all the time, and don't know how you guys can tell from that picture.
Right now, I have a silver tarp over the bed that I bought at the Tractor Supply store.
When the bed is empty again, I'll remove the tarp.

x-ray

I second the Gorilla Glue & clamping for the eyelets (and other patches for that matter)- I fixed several of my eyelets and patched a hole and they hold like iron.

Westex

I have bench seats in my Deuce. I now have a cover with the tarp and the struts and what not. I know this is a stupid question, but how do you have a deuce with a tarp and troop bench seats? Not?

tractorpuller1

Please, post a picture when you have the tarp on right so that all of us can see the difference.
I drive my Deuce "topless" almost all the time, and don't know how you guys can tell from that picture.
Right now, I have a silver tarp over the bed that I bought at the Tractor Supply store.
When the bed is empty again, I'll remove the tarp.
I reversed the tarp. I works much much better this way!
I post a picture of the proper way it should be on.

I fixed the seams that opened up with Shoo Goo from Walmart.
I cleaned the surfaces and applied the goo, then used cow magnets above and below the tarp too hold it together. No more leaks! If it comes apart then I will stitch it up, but for now it holds just fine.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks