• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE Common No. 1 Tool Set

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Began an inventory of the Common No. 1 Tool Set today. I'm putting some of the contents in the ammo cans I recently got after I lined them with foam so that I can organize them better and sort out duplicates. Sounds like a lot of effort for a tool set but this will, for the most part, be a tool set that is for showing and not for blowing.

What I'm already finding is
-more items than I remember are NIB or look new
-a fair amount of doubles which I'm going to use as my work set and/or make a second Common No. 1 or form a Common No. 2.

There are 1049 item lines of different tools in the Common No. 1 at my last count. Some of these item lines might have a requirement for 2 or 3 or more of the same tool. Right now I have all but 22 items. 20 of these are a socket set I've already got a trade planned for. One is a small combo wrench I just have to validate the specific brand and model number of all the other wrenches in the set before buying this specific wrench. And the last is an old, obsolete air compressor made by Kipper. So I'm almost there.

To my knowledge I am the only person to collect a Common and this is the most complete Common (even without the remaining 22 items) that I've ever known of. Of the ones I knew about, there was always a lot of items missing, even when initially issues. Add to this that every other year there was an official change that came out that added or deleted items. So if you look at the Common from ~1953 (I think the first year they started), there wasn't much in them...found it in an old PS magazine. Then they merged the Supplement set to the primary Common in 2010 (which caused a lot of confusion). This also coincided with the large scale fielding of the new Standard Army Tool Set (SATS).

Most likely end state will be to send this to a museum.

fnpurist

Speaking of tools, is there some kind of special socket or adapter that goes on a impact wrench to facilitate easier removal of lug nuts on a hmmwv?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
BTW, this all started with the purchase of "empty" tool boxes or tool chests or something like that out of Mechanicsburg around 2008 but they weren't quite empty. I didn't think of collecting this at that time but as I saw more and more items at shows or on ebay or on here, I opted to purchase them to make a complete set. I think this is about year 5 on this.

I looked up the govt price on the base set one time and it was around $144K.

Years ago I inventoried this things and cursed each time. It would take a week for the maintenance guys to lay everything out, inventory it, and put it back. As I researched this while collecting it, I found that the inventory sheets sucked and if we'd had a decent inventory listing, it'd have been much easier. I developed an improved inventory listing that broke down each component item within the set. Some items, Tube Cutting and Flaring Kit is a good example, didn't have a sub-component inventory listing I could find. Most I got though. So in reality, the 1049 items is actually around 1200 items.

The original inventory listing also sucked at pictures. I've since researched each and every item to cross match it with the mfg part number from FEDLOG. In some cases I used a picture of the mfg item, in others the line drawing was sufficient and I left it as is. In once case I could not find a valid picture of the NSN and that was for 5120-01-232-1215* Cleaner Plug Scrub. Based on information from a previous thread on SS, I think I got it.

Some items within the set were authorized only if approved by the commanding officer. I have these items except for those that are also among the 22 items I still need. As a matter of fact 20 of the 22 items I still need required approval to purchase by the commanding officer and we not a part of the set when issued.

A harder part has been the special tools for the various vehicles. These would be listed in the appendix of the -P (parts manual) for each vehicle. I began collecting these but they're difficult to find and when you do, they tend to be way over priced (like >$25+ for a simple seal installer that a piece of plastic pipe will accomplish the same mission). I had contacted Saturn Surplus before they sold out and never got a return call for final price and shipping. Next thing I know they sold out and now it's gold plated. Was also offered a near complete M151 specialty tool set but couldn't justify it since I reluctantly decided to pass on a M151 project vehicle. I've also since sold my CUCV and now am down to just the deuce and MB and trailers. Overall it's not worth the ROI.

Last edited:

jasonjc

I've got a TM that show a "tool set" mounted in like 1 M109 2 m35 and 3 trailer or some thing like that. Is this the set you have??? One trailer has a gen set, 1 has a steam cleaner and one has a air compressor.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've got a TM that show a "tool set" mounted in like 1 M109 2 m35 and 3 trailer or some thing like that. Is this the set you have??? One trailer has a gen set, 1 has a steam cleaner and one has a air compressor.
There were several Technical Bulletins (TB) published based on the set which show the recommended packing and stowage.

The one you have is this one which would have been used with a general support and/or a main support battalion level:

SHOP EQUIPMENT, AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR,
FIELD MAINTENANCE BASIC
(NSN 4910-00-754-0705),
INSTALLATION IN
ONE M109A3 SHOP VAN TRUCK,
TWO M35A2 CARGO TRUCKS,
AND
THREE M105A2 CARGO TRAILERS

The set I have was used primarily at the battalion and independent company level maintenance operations.

SHOP EQUIPMENT, AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR,
ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE
(NSN 4910-00-754-0650)
INSTALLATION IN ONE M35A2 CARGO TRUCK
AND
ONE M105A2 CARGO TRAILER

I thought I'd sent all these TB's to be uploaded in the TM section but couldn't find them. I do have them on my harddrive and a disk.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's a photo of the screwdrivers for the Common 1. Not that many in the set but just getting this straight took several hours to validate and inventory. I had a bushel basket of screwdrivers to go through and found out that one of the sets in the rolls had 'issues'. This did not include the additional several hours to collect the detailed info on the individual items.

Two screwdriver sets and four lose screwdrivers. I added the fan comb and screw inserters.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I figure I'm kinda like most guys in the fact that when younger I "borrowed" tools from Dad that somehow took a year or 10 or 20 or 30 years to get back to him. For the record, I want to state that Dad got the second GMTK I ever got and he still says it is the best gift ever.

I went through Dad's garage this week while he was out of town hunting. We'll just say that I think the roles are reversed. At least I know where to come when I need more than just a couple or more than just a few dozen items for the second Common No 1 build. Not exactly sure how so many got to where they're at but I think I know who maybe a customer for the second Common.

Hey Dad, can I borrow some tools?

tbearatkin

Navy Seabees have kit number for all their tools in our TOA (table of allowance). A common kit tool set for mechanics was a 80013 and others depending on what their purpose is. One for body work, we have a electricians kit, 80006 plumbers is 80001, builders is 80019. As well as numerous other kits that have most of what you need for a certain task Pioneer I think is a 80051 or 80050.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Navy Seabees have always amazed me. All you need is a dog and food.

Feed the dog the food, wait for him to poop (it's a family website). Call in the Seabees. A few days later they'll turn that pile into a palace; with electricity and plumbing.

tbearatkin

I will try to download the breakdown of the contents of the kits need my CAC card and my work PC. here are some of the common mechanic tool kits they had. The last one (80414) is a complete tool shop of kits.
NAVFAC Assembly Number
80012 Tire service tools
80013 Mechanics’ hand tools for two people
80015 Battery service tools
80016 Automotive tune-up
80017 Automotive body tools
80023 Radiator tools
80031 Metric hand tools
80072 Puller set mechanical
13 ton Diesel engine test kit
80414 ALFA Company tool- room kit , ,

rustystud

Navy Seabees have always amazed me. All you need is a dog and food.

Feed the dog the food, wait for him to poop (it's a family website). Call in the Seabees. A few days later they'll turn that pile into a palace; with electricity and plumbing.
As a Marine I have nothing but respect for the SeaBees. We worked with them on a few projects. They have a "can do" attitude any Marine would understand and respect !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks