• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The de-pinking of Pinkie, uncovering clues

Pawnshop

I continued the "de-pinking" of Pinkie today, it's kind of like an archeological dig! I uncovered Illinois National Guard markings which were no surprise based on the info Carnac gave me. What WAS a surprise were the Military Police markings I found! Carnac found info that it belonged to a maitnence battalian but I guess it did time with more than one unit, I was also surprised to find camo, I did the hood first and it was all green (no camo) so I thought the whole truck would be green, I guess the hood was a replacement, that will complicate the repaing a bit (was going to go solid 383 green) but no worries I can deal with it. Here are some "before" and "during" photos:

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
EEEEECCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quick man, spray something O.D. on that thing so it has some dignity!:-D

Different styles of camo coulda been from different units and time periods and parts trucks, its cool finding the answers to the story being told eh!

Pawnshop

I sprayed the brush guard and part of a fender with a Rapco spray can but decided that was too much work to make it look good. I have a gallon of 383 CARC substitute on order from Rapco as I type this...

Last edited:

offroaddiesel

i hope ypu are going to give her anther name once she is depinked, what with pink trucks. i got a 55 dodge power wagon for parts a while ago traveled a good distance to bring her home, guess what ,she was pink, offroaddiesel

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Sam.

As noted in the other thread, Pinky was really painted pink, it was not faded red. We looked at areas protected from the sun and saw the original pink colour (the GF has since informed me that it is actually Lilac. I told her boys don't understand such differentiations of pink).
And I almost regret that you're right, Pinky will always be named such. Like no matter what I do to The Dog, it will always bear that name. But in the future, only a few will understand the nickname, to the rest it shall be an enigma.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam, I can tell you about the subtle differences between forty shades of green, but I can honestly say "I don't know" to your question! And I may have heard her wrong, I know she said Lilac somewhere in that string of words, but such discussion causes me to take on the same glazed expression as buying shoes does. :-D

Cheers

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I see that you are using one of the civilian pintle/ball hitches, was your pintle missing when you got your truck? Mine does not have one and doesn't appear to have had one for quite a while.

jrou111

I see that you are using one of the civilian pintle/ball hitches, was your pintle missing when you got your truck? Mine does not have one and doesn't appear to have had one for quite a while.
Yeah, mine was missing when I got it from auction. The hitch is from Harbor Freight Tools and the grade 8 hardware is from Lowes. It cost $29.99 for the hitch plus $3.00 for the hardware. :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks