• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Dead Rekoning, my M35A2.

djbigj

Hey there all! Long time listener, first time caller. After a whole bunch of saving and soul searching I decided to get my very own M35A2. I looked around for a while and finally settled in on one. I contacted Andy's 6X6 located in Owatanna, MN. He had a pic of one up on his website and after some debate, mainly the distance from me, I decided to go get it. I took a plane from St. Louis to Minneapolis and Andy's father Jim came and picked me up. We then went to their shop to get my truck. Man what a cool place! He had 2.5 tons, 5 tons, and even a HUGE tank hauler. Jim took extra care to walk me through the whole "buying a deuce" process. They even changed all the filters and fluids for me plus even re-greased the thing. After a short drive with Jim in the truck he followed me to the gas station, I filled up, then hit the road. Left Owatanna, MN on Tuesday around 9pm, and pit stopped in Waterloo, IA around 2am for the night. Got up the next morning around 8am, had some breakfast, and hit the road again to get back to St. Louis. I arrived back in town around 5:30pm on Wednesday without a single hitch! The ride was long sure, 550 miles, but it was very fun! I would call my first experience driving my deuce like driving a brick which handled like an uneasy horse :lol:. I don't mean to say the ride was rough but just exciting with some effort. Again Andy called to check on me later on Wednesday evening to make sure I did ok. These guys were great, excellent service from beginning to end. I would HIGHLY reccomend contacting them if you are planning on buying a truck or anything else for that matter.

Now for a question. Today was the fist day I could really comb through the truck and look around. I did notice a small leak coming from the back of one of the middle rear tires. It tooks like some kind of oil but I'm not sure. It's the only one that is doing this. Your help would be appricated because I'm kind of new to this whole "deuce club". Thanks ahead of time. Here's some pics.

Attachments

RealCavDog

Welcome ! Congratulations ! and DANG she looks good !

If I had to guess, I would say that looks like a wheel cylinder leaking brake fluid inside the drum and dripping out !

Lets see what the longtime veterans have to say for sure !

djbigj

Thanks man! Yeah it's really sharp inside and out. I kind of figured it was brake fluid but I want to be sure and check. Also to see how serious it is. I mean it's the brakes for gawd sakes, who cares! :lol: I just need know how fast I should be taking it somewhere to get fixed or do I just keep fluid in it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wlecome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy. :cookoo:

You are doomed Sir.

Looks like a decent truck.

What does the liquid smell like......gear oil has a distinct smell.......much stronger than brake fluid.

Could be an axle seal.

tco3129

Sharp Deuce !! Looks like brake fluid to me also. I've been fighting the leaks since I got the truck. Get a couple new wheel cylinders and at least 4 shoes. Worn brake shoes will let the wheel cyl. over extend and dump fluid. ( learned the hard way in traffic ). Go over your brake system end to end. One failure anywhere in the system means total failure. Available funds and parts should hit the brakes first. GET TM's

ARYankee

I would say axle seal. They tend to do that quite often. Do a search in the forums on axle seal repair. Its not that tough to fix plus there is the whole explanation why they go out. Good luck!!

Welcome to the Addiction!!!!

91W350

If it dries up on the tire on its own, it is probably a brake cylinder. If it stays wet and keeps accumulating more drip lines it is probably an axle seal. The way it is running in one narrow spot without a bunch of other splatter would have me checking brakes.

That is a very nice looking truck, either way, it is not a major repair. Glen

Last edited:

tco3129

I would say axle seal. They tend to do that quite often. Do a search in the forums on axle seal repair. Its not that tough to fix plus there is the whole explanation why they go out. Good luck!!
Yes get the seals also. Gear oil may also migrate to the brake shoes - not good either

RealCavDog

The guys are probably right, got off the laptop and went to the big screen, and it does look pretty dark !

Nothing smells like gear lube, or as sticky, but either way, if thats your biggest problem, you scored well !

Be interested to see how it all works out, after all you'll have to "Show Me" !

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think brake fluid also. Remember that you have only one brake circuit and a master cylinder that holds only a small quantity of "extra" fluid.

I recommend that you pull the drum and check it out. Please do not drive it on public roads with a brake fluid leak. If it is an axle seal, it is not AS critical, from a safety standpoint.

You can get the technical manuals for free (download) and they contain pictures and step by step instructions for all components of your truck.

That aside, congrats to what looks to be a very nice truck. You already got it with the hubs flipped and 11.00-20 radial tires (Goodyears) installed. Those are desirable upgrades if you intend to drive your truck often!

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Nice looking truck, I have nothing but nice things to say about Andy. I got my truck from him a couple years ago now (see pics in link below).

First thing I would do is open the master cylinder and see how low it is. They say you should be able to tell by smell, but I have not gotten that good myself to know smells of everything. Hope you have fun with your truck, and remember half the fun is working on them.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the very nice truck.

Probably the axle seal, they go out, best to get used to replacing them now as it won't be the last time. Search the site, there are great threads on doing this, even an excellent step by step video.

djbigj

I recommend that you pull the drum and check it out. Please do not drive it on public roads with a brake fluid leak.
Ok that scares me some. Especially cause my deuce is my only transportation till I can go get my other car tomorrow. Also I'm no mechanic... so I'll have to take it to my mechanic to look at it.

Thanks for all the replies guys and the good words.

big block 88

I'm going wheel cylinder, I have had to replace a few on our trucks, the one we drive the most is leaking now, but we have just been keeping up on the fluid level.