• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce A2 or A3?

bob1256

Need alittle help. I'm looking to purchace my first Duece, which is better, the A2 or the A3? I know it's a loaded question. But need some advise from those who know.

ZRacer

The reasons that I bought an A2 and not an A3?

First, cost. Usually an A3 is newer and costs more. If that is not a barrier for you, so be it.

Second, I like the idea of the multi-fuel engine (instead of "only" diesel).

The most important reason for me? The A2 I consider to be EMP proof. The A3, with its CTIS and automatic tranny, has too many electronic circuits on board to survive an EMP attack and be CERTAIN that it will still run. (Call me paranoid, but that's my logic!)

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Again , really. I was going to start another A2 VS. A3 thread as a joke.

Bob1256 , I dont want to come off as a jerk , welcome to the SS forum. Your on the right web site for MV's and help with them. Let me be the first to point out the Search function at the top of the page, not only for this question but most A2 or A3 questions for maintenance will be found there. Again , Welcome to SS. Heres some threads that might help: -Jay

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/58641-m35a2-m35a3-pros-cons-each.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/58641-m35a2-m35a3-pros-cons-each.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/general-polls/48649-buying-m35a2-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/46364-m35-a2-vs-m35-a3-whichn-better.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/47934-new-m35a3-questions.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/57268-m35a3.html

Flyingvan911

Welcome to the forum. There are threads on many subjects so it's a good idea to search before posting a new thread. If you can't find what you are looking for, post away. I just picked up my first A2. A very simple truck. Do lots of research then buy the one you think will be best for you. As you will learn, we all have lots of opinions on everything.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bulldog mack, I really appreciate you taking the time to search and post links for the new guys and I appreciate the positive and polite discussion amongst all of you.

lonegunman

What do you want to do with the truck? An A2 and an A3 really are two apples and not apples and oranges. If you are looking for differences in hauling or towing, ability to handle a grade or plow through mud they are probably close.

The A3 has a lot of updated equipment and all are reman'd in the last 17 years. But I drove tons of A2's in the ANG that had a couple of thousand miles on them and are no doubt out in the market someplace for someone to enjoy. I know of six from a unit that are in DRMO now waiting their trip to GL. I'm gonna buy one if I get the chance. They all have new clutches and brakes, tire chains and several extra sets of troop seats in the back.

bob1256

Duece A2 or A3

Thanks, I drove an A2 in korea, but that was many many years ago. I've never driven an A3, that was after my time. I just want a new toy to play with to drive, to have fun with, but hopfully will last me a while. Thanks, Bob.

lonegunman

I have an A3, it has power steering, automatic trans, super singles, actual heat and defroster, electric wipers, modern air brakes and an improved drivers seat. I have had zero trouble with mine. I can buy trans and engine parts at a Cat dealer or brake parts commerically. I don't have to find a wayback machine to get multifuel parts.

If you like manual caveman steering, rowing gears, deafening exhaust, marginal wipers, marginal heat and brakes that can fail and kill you then an A2 is the way to go. If you find a decent A2 and decide to add super singles, power steering steering and electric wipers to an A2 will cost you about as much as buying an A3 off the shelf.

There are about 1/10th the number of A3's to A2's. They won't keep coming out of GL nearly as long as A2's.

ALFA2

Well, besides the price issue, between the two trucks, there is the service and maintenance concern.
A2 is non electronic and is simple to maintain and even do major repairs with simple hand tools, and a good manual, plus parts are more available and much cheaper. A3 is updated with newer parts, some are hard to find and some are hard to work on, and some like many newer vehicles, require diagnostic technology, and specific knowledge to properly use it.

If you have the money and the knowlege to take care of such conserns, A#3 is a nicer riding truck.
If you want to be able to fix and maintain it all yourself for not much $$, and be able to get parts easily (in comparison), then A2 makes some sense, but finally it is a personal choice, as to which truck you really like, and get that one.

Hope this helps.

ALFA2

bob1256

Duece A2 or A3

I definitly apprecate the feed back. From the research I've done you've hit it right on the head. By the time i do all the upgrades I can get a nice A3. I found an A2 witha cummins and power steering, he wants 13,000. I can get a A3 for around the same price.
Thanks again, Bob

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you like manual caveman steering, rowing gears, deafening exhaust, marginal wipers, marginal heat and brakes that can fail and kill you then an A2 is the way to go. If you find a decent A2 and decide to add super singles, power steering steering and electric wipers to an A2 will cost you about as much as buying an A3 off the shelf.

There are about 1/10th the number of A3's to A2's. They won't keep coming out of GL nearly as long as A2's.
Well you could always buy a late Air Force A2C and get almost everyone of those upgrades with a manual tranny. Also, multi parts are VERY easy to find.

lonegunman

Ellsworth SD and a couple of other places have had some awesome AF A2C's. I'm keeping an eye on six sitting in a DRMO yard in my state.

With regards to the A3. Other than the CTIS, I'd love to know what mysterious "electronics" are on them and why they are so hard to repair. I can't find any hard to test or repair electronics on mine. Other than GI truck specific parts from the M35 family, I have managed to buy most of what I need from NAPA, CAT or commerical parts houses with no problem.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Lonegunman I sure do appreciate your enthusiasm over the A3. However, best do some research on the 1987 and 1988 M35A2C's, M185A3's and M109A3's. You'll find that several of your A2 claims are not correct. Got two late modeled A2's to prove it[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks