• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The deuce and the HOA....

RAYZER

Well,before I brought my deuce home, I went around to some of my neighbours and showed them pictures of what I was getting and assured them that I was going to park it at my sisters house, I guess I was a little nervous about them not liking it in the neighbour hood because its big loud, ugly and stinks.
So, I live in a neighbour hood of smaller houses with two car garages ,my driveway has a sidewalk running through it and is barley long enough for my f250 (3' shorter than the deuce ) I back the deuce in and the front bumper just hangs into the sidewalk .
So, brought the deuce home this past Feb and within 5 min of pulling up out front there were 10 people standing around her admiring, including Mrs Smith from down the street who happens to be a board member on,,yup,you guessed it ,,the HOA. and her son that's in the marines.
Well the deuce has been a permanent fixture in the neighbour hood since that happy day and has been worked on,serviced and re camoed right in the drive way,come and go at all hours and no body seems to complain? I must have good neighbours! Hope code enforcement don't drive by.

TexMc

As a former vice president of our hoa. I give my advice look through the deed restrictions and see if they say anything about restricting parking on the street. Our DO NOT restrict street parking therefore the city laws apply which state you can park on the street for a maximum of 24 hours before you have to move any vehicle. It would drive the neighborhood nazis crazy because my neighbours would park there RV s and boats on the street and they could do nothing about it except call the police and they would do nothing because there was nothing they could do, no laws were broken. Just my advice.

So I found the HOA website, it appears as of the last meeting, they changed a portion of it so as to add "vehicles over 6000#" to the list of vehicles not permitted.

I also found the names and addresses of each member, should I start by going to the president and asking/showing pictures of the deuce and working my way down the list with the old "I'm attempting to preserve and keep on the road a piece of Americas history" and so on and so forth and also point out that said new restriction makes a large amount of folks unknowing violators due to most SUVs and larger pickups being over 6000#? (I can name quite a few, and my bronco has a printed curb weight of slightly over 6000#)

Last edited:

littlebob

It looks like you already have an unfriendly situation. I would not educate the players and give them a chance to change their rules to just keep your truck out. I would take an inventory of the other vehicles to use if it gets ugly and use as a defense later if needed.

Well the way I look at it, weather they change the rules or not, I'm getting the truck, it's just a matter of 10 miles as to where I'm storing it (if that, my part of elkton is about 10mins from hockessin) and I'm only here with my father for maybe another year till I'm ready to get my own place. So it's not worth the major effort of fighting it, I figure this is one time where I'll ask first, so I'm not getting the sights brought to bear on dads place. Ask nice, attempt to educate, and if turned down off the bat by the HOA pres, then just a friendly reminder of last years snowy "nightmare" (WTF were they smoking? That was paradise) and how I won't have issues making it to the acme, as I walk away...... God I hate tiptoeing around a bunch of a-holes and busy bodies.....

powerhouseduece

I live in a hoa area but have not had any issues. Everyone on my street is use to my usual shanaggins so when I got the trucks, everyone started asking when am I getting a tank. I guess I'm lucky, I had my 818 and 127 out in front of my house for 2-3 weeks and never had a issue.. It only takes one person to mess it up for everyone

Update

Well Sunday night i slipped a letter into the HOA presidents door with an explanation (and pictures) of the deuce, and how I would like to park in the neighbor hood and some other sugar coatings such as "I intend to keep this vehicle as a living, breathing, and moving piece of American military history". I also detailed that I had scoped out parking space and found a few suitable locations.

Fastforward two days: I get a call around 20:00, the president of the HOA very politely informs me that he appreciates what I did, including having an alternate storage location in the event I could not store here, measured parking areas, and gave specific details of the deuce, but after talking with the other board members, that soely due to the weight of the deuce and our neighborhoods craptastic construction (example, PVC water lines under the road and driveways) that I cannot keep it here. BUT hebdid say that in the event I happen to need to drop back to my fathers place while out and about in the deuce, feel free to bring it in a park in the area I had found best suited (gravel service road) and as long as I'm not there more than an hour, itd be fine.

So I lost that one, but I feel I somewhat won a bit, lol. He wished me luck with it and said it sounds like a really interesting vehicle. He also told me how the HOA found out about the PVC piping, some couple used to keep a large dually service truck in the driveway sometime back, well after about a year I think he sId, the water pipe under the driveway gave out from the trucks weight and caused some fun for the neighborhood.

Ah well, guess for now I'll still have 2 insurance policies to pay for, lol.

DJDD

While I adamantly hate HOA's and what they think they have the power to do, I kinda side with them on this one. Because it is an actual problem with the weight of the truck and the PVC pipes (who the he!! uses PVC for mains in a neighborhood???), I would rather have someone inconvenienced a little bit than people without water for several days.

Now, I'm gonna end this post before I go off on HOA's. Piece of $%^$^%$&*^&*&^%&^&*^^%&*^ mother%^&^(*^^%&(*&*^*)(*^&$%$#&^%#$^%%^&(*^&&(*%&(. aua

Completely agree with you there DJDD, from the sounds of things, had the developer/construction company not been cheap and used real piping, they would have very well allowed it due to my homework, lol.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and mom was house hunting, believe the builder was "Double S" or something, this 2 story house was so flimsy that me and my little brother running on the main floor caused 20% of the HVAC ducts in the basement to crash to the floor...... Just as the realtor was speaking so highly of said HVAC system aua

Heavysteven

I have a hard time believing anyone would run a water line under a driveway. Where is the meter box in the concrete drive. Futhermore what consstruction company uses PVC and not copper. In addition, a deuce has 10 tires so 1,340 lbs each. I'm not buying it there reasoning.

JasonS

I have a hard time believing anyone would run a water line under a driveway. Where is the meter box in the concrete drive. Futhermore what consstruction company uses PVC and not copper. In addition, a deuce has 10 tires so 1,340 lbs each. I'm not buying it there reasoning.
I agree that is sounds like BS.

Water mains in rural SD are PVC. But, we bury them well deep (~7 feet). Your's would have to be very shallow to be susceptible to damage.

paulfarber

In DE the water line is at least under the frost line. Granted where our house is in DE its mostly sand and the water table is just a few feet down....

Let see, a Durango at 6k with 4 tires is just about the same Lbs/Sqft as an M35 with 10 tires.

You HOA president is sugar coating the fact that it can't be there.

roscoe

What happens when the garbage truck rolls down the street or when someone gets delivery from UPS or Fedex or needs a moving van or a concrete truck shows up to pour a new driveway?? Doesn't make any since to me.

A

A/C Cages

OOOPS
I meant the (( Napoleon complex ))
Nepolitian is a ice cream flavor, lol

jaxsof

I tend to agree with a prior post, you should check the by-laws about parking on the street. Im sure after having to look "at that blemish on our beautiful family community" sitting right out on the street, they may change their tune a little. And if not, point out all the other residents who are in violation with their SUVs. You know, the home-owners can vote to end an HOAs existance

I wish they would vote to end it, but from the last meeting, there's waaaaaaay too many busy bodys that just looooooooove to bitch. But again, case and point here, I was attempting to make it a bit easier for the next 6 months or so until I move outta that place, love my dad and all, but I can't stand HOAs and I need room for more "Tonka" toys :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks