• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce vs. HOA's: How do you guys deal with it?

Albin

I live in a neighborhood that has a "weak" HOA. One of the restrictions listed the HOA restrictions page is the following:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -0.95pt">C-ll COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. No trucks, boats, trailers, etc., <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -0.55pt">commercial type vehicles, motor homes, construction or like <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -0.85pt">equipment or mobile or stationary trailers of any kind shall be <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -1.1pt">stored or parked on any lot except while parked in a closed garage <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -0.75pt">nor parked on any residential street in the subdivision except <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -0.45pt">while engaged in transporting to or from a residence in the

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; LETTER-SPACING: -1.3pt">subdivision.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; LETTER-SPACING: -1.3pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><BR style="PAGE-BREAK-BEFORE: always; mso-break-type: section-break" clear=all>What does the above language say to you guys regarding a deuce in my back yard and how have you guys dealt with this issue in the past?

Oh, and before the anti-HOA types flame me to death, keep in mind that I built this house back in '94, well before I even considered buying a Deuce.

Ok, what do you think?

Thanks,

Al

n3uka

How is the deuce going to be registered. Mine is historic and not considered commercial.
It is parked offstreat on a driveway.

the one official that gave me grief about it, I blasted him that he was unpatriotic
and he left me alone. :devil:

Desert Rat

Albin,
I'd say a nice stand-alone garage improvement behind your home is in order. Add all the nice options too such as A/C, heat, full tool bench, bathroom, bed (a refuge for when the wife kicks you out of the house you still have a home), fridge, computer w/internet (to keep in contact with us), shower, washer, dryer, kitchen sink and a good stereo system to listen to while your cursing a storm up over cut fingers and other extemities. This is my plan once we buy a ten to 15 acre site.

Wyattearp

Don't forget the first Aid Kit, the econo size one's :lol:

As for the neighborhood rules, well im not going to even go there..... :eyes:

I have lived in the country all my life and well there is no substitute, ask Cranetruck he has been in my neck of the woods, I would die without trees, dirt, wildlife in the back yard... etc...

Albin

Detached garage is out due to very large pool in the back yard, which leaves me about 20 feet to park my trailer and a Deuce. Plus, detached buildings are supposedly not allowed per HOA restrictions, although some people have detached storage sheds, so this one's probably fightable.

In any event, we plan to stay in this house until my son graduates from HS, which is about 8 more years. When we move, we plan on a single story house with more space so I can build a large shop for my 4x4, welding, shooting etc. hobbies.

If I'm going to buy a Deuce, I don't really want to wait another 8 years.

Thanks,

Al

ETA: This pic sorta sucks, but it gets across the idea: My house with t-shaped pool in the back yard. The white object to the right of the pool is my 5'x9' trailer. From the edge of the pool concrete to the fence is just over 21'.

Thanks,

Al

Wick246

I think the way it is written if you argue that it is not a commercial vehicle (which is true) then it would fall under being an R.V. If you argue that it is not an R.V. then it falls under being a truck. They pretty much have you there. How about an inexpensive, garage looking shed big enough to enclose the deuce, but not much more? Not too expensive, but stout enough to survive any weather, protects the truck and keeps your neighbors happy.
Edit: Magna, UT :smilewinkgrin:

Albin

Wick246 said:
I think the way it is written if you argue that it is not a commercial vehicle (which is true) then it would fall under being an R.V. If you argue that it is not an R.V. then it falls under being a truck. They pretty much have you there. How about an inexpensive, garage looking shed big enough to enclose the deuce, but not much more? Not too expensive, but stout enough to survive any weather, protects the truck and keeps your neighbors happy.
Edit: Magna, UT :smilewinkgrin:
Wick,

See my post above yours: No room for a garage and it's against the HOA restrictions also. A garage is not an option for +8 years.

Thanks,

Al

Wick246

I meant more of a shed - the size of the truck. But if you don't think they will let that slide then I think you will have to pay for storage, or wait 8 more years. Hope you can figure it out.

Deuce-bigalo

HOA's suck period. Your really going to get a fight going with yours if you decided on a Deuce.

My suggestions, if you really want one now? Find somewhere to store it like a RV rental lot or storage area. I know it's not good to be away from your baby, but what else are the choices?

The HOA will get you on the weight of the Deuce - that's something you can't contend with!

Just my opinion!

John

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a garage now? Is it possable to lengthen it? Then you could take the top off, lay the windshield down and keep it inside. Or drive it to work every day. Most H.O.A. nazi's troll the streets during the day.

Elwenil

We have that kind of HOA crap around here. Luckily I don't have it in my neighborhood, and so far the old farts in the neighborhood haven't had much luck getting anyone else to want to make one. If it were me, I'd ask the HOA about putting up a really tall fence. Something tasteful, but would keep the Duece screened from view. Tell them that the Deuce is not a commercial vehicle, but you can see that it may be a problem for some, and offer the fence as a solution to keep the peace. With any luck they will agree without thinking about it too much and not know what hit them until the Deuce shows up. Other than that, it's either a garage of some sort, (and I would not want to warm up a big diesel in a garage attached to your house) or a storage lot away from your nieghborhood. If it's going to be stored elsewhere, I'd try to find a really good friend who has some relatively secure property, or maybe a small business with a space that you could rent or swap favors for. Just be careful where you park it, as it will draw attention, kids love to play on them and you don't want you windows busted out. Just my .02

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple solution, build a swimout on the end of the pool near the trailer. Have Cranetruck set you up on all the ins & outs of fording and just back the deuce in the pool. Out of harms way, won't be able to see it over the fence and you won't have to worry about bees and wasps lodging for free in the truck!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive been lucky with mine so far. I live at the end of a culdesac and have known all my neighbors for 12 years and they are all great. If it comes down to it my truck just barely fits in the garage with the top and mirrors off. Im already paying $75 a month to store my motorhome and my wife wont let me convert our side yard to duece storage. Real estate in southern california is rediculous right now. We've been looking for a ranch style home but you cant get anything decent with at least 2 acres for less than $700k. Another alternative is to cut an axle off and throw an m105 bed on. Then its just like a full size pickup. I have to say that HOA's are nice to have when you get dirt bag renters moving in that create problems for the neighborhood, they have the ability to evict tenants and they keep people from parking yard cars on their lawn.

Albin

Recovry4x4 said:
Simple solution, build a swimout on the end of the pool near the trailer. Have Cranetruck set you up on all the ins & outs of fording and just back the deuce in the pool. Out of harms way, won't be able to see it over the fence and you won't have to worry about bees and wasps lodging for free in the truck!
Actually, this is the best idea I've heard, but I think my kids would disown me, we spend a lot of time in my pool!

I now think it's not going to be a problem. Here's why:

Original restrictions statement:

"C-ll COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. No trucks, boats, trailers, etc., commercial type vehicles, motor homes, construction or like equipment or mobile or stationary trailers of any kind shall be stored or parked on any lot except while parked in a closed garage nor parked on any residential street in the subdivision except while engaged in transporting to or from a residence in the subdivision."

Note where it says no "trailers, motor homes, etc?

Well, here's another statement in another part of the HOW website I just found under "Do's and Don'ts (which didn't exist 11 years ago when I moved into my house):

"Do not leave your boat, trailer or motor home parked where it is visable."

So now they're saying you can have a trailer, boat or motor home, it just can't be "visible". OK, who here has a RV that's only 6' tall? Anybody? 'Cause 6' is the limit for fence height, which by the way, also must be approved by the HOW (mine wasn't, but that's another story).

As I observed back in 1994 when I signed the HOW papers, their restrictions are self-contradictory. Furthermore, the original HOA "board" was the developer. Basically, if it wasn't visible from the street, it was OK with him. There went the restrictions to above ground pools, and detached buildings, because once you let one person do it, then you can't say another can't do it, and several have and forced the HOA to back down.

Therefore I now believe that if I have a vehicle and drive it, not just store it in my back yard, they can't say squat. It's definitely not a commerical vehicle. If worse comes to worse, I can always use n3uka strategy and accuse them of being unpatriotic, I mean, how can anybody not like a genuine US Army truck! (Keep in mind that we have Restone Arsenal here plus all the major defense contractors (like me) plus this is North Alabama, it's still part of America.

Ok, so that's another potential problem solved, now I gotta work on the money and the Chief Financial Officer approval part.

:lol:

Thanks,

Al

rdixiemiller

Al
I am going to Montgomery tomorrow to pick up an M-105 trailer from the guy who sold me my deuce. He has a M35A2W/W that has the front axle disassembled, I'll see what he wants for it. I watch GL auctions, but I would prefer to buy from a private individual. Test drives are nice! I paid 3K$ for mine, and it is in great shape. Other than an oil pressure gauge that has decided to quit, and re-covering the seats, I have had no issues. The GL trucks in Montgomery are bringing more than I paid for my truck, and you have no idea if they even run. I also understand that getting an Alabama title with the GL SF97 is a long, drawn out, process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks