• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "Dottie Mae

waayfast

The kid came over yesterday and down loaded pics from camera to 'puter.

So now I have proof that I actually did something fun this summer (so she says8))

Went to Nampa and got to see the official unveiling of the P-47 "Dottie Mae".

Several years back I connected with a fellow named Mike about a couple gallons of 34087 Olive drab he had leftover from a project. I told him I could swing by and get the paint and he gave an address at the Caldwell Airport. I find him and he invites me into the hangar while he locates the paint. He says since you're here, come on in and I'll show you our latest project- the P-47 , Dottie MaeIMG_3373.jpgIMG_3368.jpgIMG_3365.jpgIMG_3364.jpgIMG_3369.jpg.

At that time it was maybe 25% along and I was in awe that I was invited to a private showing by the boss ( yeah, THAT Mike!, second from left, middle pic, owner of Vintage Airframes)

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and she's all finished and flying. Was wishing I had a video camera:twisted:. The startup, taxi out and takeoff, literally made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!!

Last aircraft combat loss of the war in the European Theatre. Only P-47 flying that has documented combat missions.

IMG_3373.jpgAbout the last day of the war, pilot was flying low over a lake in Austria, showing off for the girls on a boat and hit the water. He would have drowned had they not pulled him out of the drink.

Aircraft sank to the bottom and stayed there for 60+ years until recovered and shipped to Caldwell ID for the restore. About 55,000 man hours and a BUNCH of money and---- well here ya go---enjoy!

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks