• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The dreaded CTIS seal, bearing repack job on my MTV

Reworked LMTV

Honestly, most of the drums come off pretty easily. A gentle tapping of a #20 BFH on the back side is all you need.

Reworked LMTV

If you do this, be sure to clean out the auto brake adjusters very well. Order a case of brake cleaner from Amazon. While not shown, the hubs were painted with black grill paint. The inside of the brakes were carefully painted as well. You need to carefully seat the seals. I did not buy a tool, but used my large socket upside-down to seat them.

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reworked - Ever write anything up on this? I am needing to do it soon.

If not, can anyone direct me to the TM section which details this process? I am poking through it but not having any luck locating it.

Reworked LMTV

Reworked - Ever write anything up on this? I am needing to do it soon.

If not, can anyone direct me to the TM section which details this process? I am poking through it but not having any luck locating it.
Sorry, I have not yet. So many irons in the fire. Yes take at Neil's video. He does really good work.

Happy to help if you have questions.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries at all.

I already watched one of Neil's video on the seals. Looks like a great resource. Thanks for the direction.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Random question for this- how do you know if you should replace these seals?

Reworked LMTV

Random question for this- how do you know if you should replace these seals?
Good question. Leaks of gear oil into the CTIS system is a clue. I found this in mine. If you are in there, you might as well change them, as they are not that expensive, just a PITA is all.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had any issues... Bryce just did lockers on my rears and I asked him to leave me a supply of seals thinking it'd be a good pro-active thing to do. Since looking further into it, I am tempted to wait until I have more reason to tear into it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all...

Reworked LMTV

Haven't had any issues... Bryce just did lockers on my rears and I asked him to leave me a supply of seals thinking it'd be a good pro-active thing to do. Since looking further into it, I am tempted to wait until I have more reason to tear into it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all...
If your CTIS is working fine, I'd leave them alone, unless they are known to be possibly quite old.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to know? Sometimes they whistle at you! My truck would occasionally get a wheel squeak (I thought), usually after going offroad, so I thought the brakes had a little dust or a gravel in them. The squeak would happen for only a partial wheel rotation. But then one day I realized the squeak only happened when the CTIS was pressurizing, and usually in cooler weather! The left front has a CTiS seal leak, but both fronts have new seals from a diff upgrade so not worn out. CTIS may or may not achieve HWY mode, failing with either all 5 blinking lights, or with HWY and EMER lights on together. Later I noticed that if there was plenty of air available the CTIS would work every time (as with shop air hooked up). No doubt the shop compressor could overpower the leak.

Haven't tried it but one day I want to add a much larger air tank in parallel with wet tank to assist the compressor. Could be handy for air tool use also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks