• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The funvee is not happy with me 😞

williamh

Gettin the funvee for this weekends parade , first time I really took it out on the freeway and went all speed racer, long uphill doing 60-65 (according to my gps) temp started going up , black smoke out the tailpipe stack , so oooops 😳 time to slow down and rtb. Everything still looks ok. I could hear that fan clutch engage , sounded like; wtf was that ?? But once I got down to 55ish temp dropped and no more smoke , good thing I got AAA motorhome towing 😏

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gettin the funvee for this weekends parade , first time I really took it out on the freeway and went all speed racer, long uphill doing 60-65 (according to my gps) temp started going up , black smoke out the tailpipe stack , so oooops 😳 time to slow down and rtb. Everything still looks ok. I could hear that fan clutch engage , sounded like; wtf was that ?? But once I got down to 55ish temp dropped and no more smoke , good thing I got AAA motorhome towing 😏
Situation normal, full throttle = black smoke, uphill = engine temps climb. Enjoy!

badger_610889

What was the high temp reading on the gauge?
My understanding is that the system can work in the range of 190-230 under load and full throttle should disengage the fan clutch for 20 sec indeed. I freaked out thinking my hmmwv was overheating but I was told it's actually normal.

That being, I'd like to keep it below 190!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I was not going to comment but I CANNOT resist, If this is the first time you have heard the fan kick in does not sound like you have an over heating problem....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the high temp reading on the gauge?
My understanding is that the system can work in the range of 190-230 under load and full throttle should disengage the fan clutch for 20 sec indeed. I freaked out thinking my hmmwv was overheating but I was told it's actually normal.

That being, I'd like to keep it below 190!
That is not going to happen on any hot day, not if you are trying to get somewhere at least, you will probably not see any difference with the 180 thermostat but in the winter when you would be happy to get 190, the fan controls the max temp not the thermostat.
They all run hot, at least all that have Detroit engines in them.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
minimum operating temp for these engines is 180. They are happy to run at 200-220 all day long no problem.
Trying to run them under 180 will cause problems over the long term due to incomplete combustion.
This isn't a gasser engine, diesels like heat.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do indeed Start to overheat after the fan kicks on then you have an issue.

Once that fan kicks on you should see the temp drop rather quickly until the fan shuts off around 200 and then it will slowly climb and repete. If for some reason the temp is not coming down as it should then put on the heat as it will pull heat from the motor and hopefully get you home. You can then figure out what's going on. Doing 62mph the fan will come on every 5 to 7 min for approx 2 min and so on.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do indeed Start to overheat after the fan kicks on then you have an issue.

Once that fan kicks on you should see the temp drop rather quickly until the fan shuts off around 200 and then it will slowly climb and repete. If for some reason the temp is not coming down as it should then put on the heat as it will pull heat from the motor and hopefully get you home. You can then figure out what's going on. Doing 62mph the fan will come on every 5 to 7 min for approx 2 min and so on.

Mark
Come to South Texas and make that statement, I wish!!! at some point the fan usually runs 10 on and 2 off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My oldest boy live in Fort Worth so yes I am aware of the crazy temps you guys deal with lol. Up here in New England mine runs as stated. My son sent me pics of his poor lawn.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, he lives in the cooler wet part of the state! :ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside, I went to a conference oh about 20 years ago, a National Weather Service speaker said it best.

"South Texas is in a perpetual drought interrupted occasionally by torrential rainfall"

And those were the good years!

Still could not pry me out of here with a crowbar.

williamh

90deg going uphill for Miles ! Gauge going up to 240 even at 55. Around 205 when driving around town. But who knows how accurate that gauge is. Every bump I hit that gauge just freaks out. First real trip of any distance since I got it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you have a bad wiring connection.

These gauges rely on electrical resistance.

If you have a bad connection you will get a different reading.

Going over bumps and having everything freak out is some type of bad connection.

I had something similar with my oil pressure gauge.
Sometimes it would start bouncing up towards max.
Sometimes it would go to max and sit there.

Found out the sending unit had an oil leak through the electrical connection, causing the bad readings.

As long as the fan engages and disengages under moderate/heavy loads, then I wouldn't worry too terribly much about what the gauge is reading.

williamh

you have a bad wiring connection.

These gauges rely on electrical resistance.

If you have a bad connection you will get a different reading.

Going over bumps and having everything freak out is some type of bad connection.

I had something similar with my oil pressure gauge.
Sometimes it would start bouncing up towards max.
Sometimes it would go to max and sit there.

Found out the sending unit had an oil leak through the electrical connection, causing the bad readings.

As long as the fan engages and disengages under moderate/heavy loads, then I wouldn't worry too terribly much about what the gauge is reading.
Didn’t catch on fire and I drive it home. Successful mission 🎉👍

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks