• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Goat amazes me again and again

mutt_r

Today I wanted to wash and prepare the Goat for an event we have here next weekend. 1st start the Goat. Nothing happened. No instruments, no starter, absolutely nothing.

So I took my M151 and the jump start cable. The goat starts immediately. But the instruments still don't work, the light, turn signal and so on doesn't work. Unusual. Batteries measured with the multimeter, both OK.

Where should I start with my search to solve this issue? Has any of you ever had this problem?

Appreciating any clues. Thank you in advance and best regards

Richard

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you start the goat with the cable to your M151, leave the cable connected. With the cable still connected, are your instruments, lights, etc functional? If so, I would suspect your batteries or a damaged cable. Just because you can measure the correct voltage with the multimeter, doesn't mean that one of your batteries isn't going open internally under load. With the cable still connected, if your lights and instruments are still dead, you must have a problem with an electrical connection. To make certain that each of your cables are good, you can take a jumper cable and parallel each cable connection on the goat. Sometimes a cable can fail internally and show no sign of damage. Good luck.

mutt_r

When I turn on the lights of the M561 while the jump cable is still connected to the M151, the instruments, lights and flasher are also not working. Will spend some time on looking for a damaged cable. Had a similar problem with the connection between tractor and carrier a few years ago. Finally a cable inside the connector was broken.

mutt_r

Many thanks for all your hints. Found the problem and the solution today. The bolt for grounding the battery cable on the passenger side was junk. Drilled a new hole, took a new bolt and washers. And finally the Goat started like yesterday. While there was a metric bolt used by a previous owner, it looked like a previous problem as well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks