• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The good news and the bad news

hydroax

I found a M172a1 and thought I had won the lottery. Half way home the brakes on an axle started letting the smoke out. I climbed under and backed off the slack adjusters for the axle. I poured some water on the drums to simmer them down some and noticed the worst. One of the rims looks damaged. Not bad but I cannot see it passing inspection. It has the 6 bolt rims and it appears to be easier to catch a unicorn than locate this rim. It has no spare of course. 1000x15 tires on it.
I have searched high and low for a solution without luck. I have to pull the hub off the axle to change the grease seal which is melted I am sure, and inspect the bearings. If anyone has heard or knows of a hub replacement to anything similar or knows of someone who has one of these split rims in the shed I would really appreciate it. I had great plans for this trailer but they are going up in smoke.

Attachments

Last edited:

hydroax

Here is a laugh, after looking at the rim picture, and I look at that funky shaped hole, that may have been what I saw! I thought it had a chunk taken out of it and it was kind of hard to tell smoking but it certainly looked close. I certainly hope so!

hydroax

Again looking at the picture, I seem to be missing a lug nut too. I guess I need to stare at pictures of all these wheels to find the missing parts. Anyone have lugs? :) Might as well ask for left and right. Hope they match up with something new today. I am still jacked about the purchase. This guy will be hauling whatever I need it to I hope.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the potential problem of checking inside wheel air pressure, when mounting the wheels you index the wheels so the stem for the inner wheel is at the larger opening in the outside rim that is 180 degrees from the one with the stem in it. You can also install a stem extension if that does not work to your satisfaction.
Regards Martin

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What amazes me is some hands at tire shops do not know this simple fact. I have seen them mount them together instead of 180 degrees apart. When they do I ask them to check pressure on the inside tire. Then it becomes a problem all of a sudden!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have lots of M172A1 rims and a few rim/tire assys here in Houston. Will be going to San Antonio in the near future. Wheel/tire assemblies come up for auction at Red River all the time. The outer special lug nut is not available, use a regular Budd nut. The inner thin lug nut can be made from a Budd nut by cutting/grinding it.

goldneagle

Aren't split rims also know as suicide rims? If so they are dangerous. Most tire shops will not work on them. Unless you are talking about split ring tires.

hydroax

Woo Hoo!

I have lots of M172A1 rims and a few rim/tire assys here in Houston. Will be going to San Antonio in the near future. Wheel/tire assemblies come up for auction at Red River all the time. The outer special lug nut is not available, use a regular Budd nut. The inner thin lug nut can be made from a Budd nut by cutting/grinding it.
You are going to be my newest best friend! I have been up half the night worrying about this stuff. If I cannot get it safe and inspected its a boat anchor. If I get it right it will do anything I need it to do. It pulls fine. Send me a way to contact you to get a couple rims or tires. Im good with them separate as I want to do a split rim using my excavator. :)

hydroax

Excavator with grapple not as good of a tool for removing split rings. Trailer looks like it will work out, drove right up it.PC050752.jpg

Photo594.jpg

FYI, Rim was no good to me and tire was too rotted to use so they made a wonderful test example.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That rim is for a M870 trailer. Trust me, a duck bill tire hammer (Ken-Tool T11E) is the only tool you need for dismounting tires. Myers Tire Supply will fix you right up. Did the Hydroax mount the 172 without ramps?

Last edited:

hydroax

climbed right up it like a baby in a high chair. I could have gone a little more foreword before jumping out to take a picture but I was going through the floor. My wood is wasted. But have to make sure its worth it to me to rework the stuff.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet. Olson Guerra Lumber in Houston has the 2" oak trailer planks super cheap. Hopefully you can find some closer though.

hydroax

Thanks for both the tips! Im trying to decide if I should put forth my efforts to locate the tire guy you recommended I find in the first place or buy more tools to be independent. I did get a quote for 75 a tire for removal. Removal is as safe as it gets, I never hear about anyone getting hurt removing them just when they air them up. I got the budd nut in today to replace the outside missing lug nut and its too small. The diameter seems closer to the outside of the budd nut. Good times!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, 75 bucks for 5 minutes work. I'm in the wrong business. Ask the Mexican dump truck drivers where they go for tire repairs. Should be like 20 for a dismount.

You need a "Budd nut for a stud piloted wheel". Your heavy truck supply house will have buckets of them in stock.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks