• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Green Croc.... My monster KrAZ-255B1

WarHorse_Alex

Winch on truck: yes, it have mechanical winch in middle of frame, behind cab. Drum can be activated by special lever in cab, torque comes from transfer case and additional selection box on it. That selection box also can be use for hydraulic pumps for additional attachments, like as cranes, shovels, bridge cylinders, etc. Winch drum have freewheel clutch for manual unwinding. But winch have some uncomfortable things. Direction of wind/unwind is select by forward or reverse gears in main gearbox, so winding can be with wheels rotation for help. If you want to use winch only - you must set transfer case in Neutral. Steel rope 22 mm in diameter, and can be stretch out to back and to front (default - to back). And here we can meet joke - if I want pull truck forward - I must remove large shackle with wedge lock, conduct rope around right side of truck by special pulleys on frame, install shackle again and then I can pull froward... But in this case I can't help recovering by wheels, because winding was agreed with revers gear!!! I saw only one method - just rewind all rope on drum in other direction.... All of that steps are slow and heavy for one person - need helpers... Steel rope after long storage on drum looks as big spring - you take it and try to go to tree, but rope pull you back to truck xDDDDD
There is safety bolt in winch shaft - when load goes more than 8.5 tons, this bolt is cut off for saving gears. It placed for easily replaces, but you need to have spare bolts with adjusted strength!!! If you planned exceed of load - you must use external pulleys...

At pictures was planned learning stuck xDDDD I try to attempt to use winch.... Need to be a tough guy, can say xdDDD 4 hours was taken and I broke all those safety bolts around, and when it ended, I broke all bits, drills and call friends to bring more xDDDD

Attachments

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck you have. Surely is a monster! Showed pictures to some Ukrainian coworkers who remember them from their military service.

Whenever I see pictures like yours of driving thru a field or if I drive my truck on my lawn I can only imagine the mess that a battalion of these trucks and tanks must make on a march.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck you have. Surely is a monster! Showed pictures to some Ukrainian coworkers who remember them from their military service.

Whenever I see pictures like yours of driving thru a field or if I drive my truck on my lawn I can only imagine the mess that a battalion of these trucks and tanks must make on a march.
It was evident firsthand at the East Coast Military Vehicle Rally in Churchville, MD some years back. It rained during the show, and the roads in, out, and around the show were fields of mud. Trucks and cars were getting stuck. I saw several guys with restored vehicles actually turning around when they saw the location rather than subject their trucks to the mud. Randy Emr was there with his award winning M35A2 pulling people out. I was there, too, with a USMC M813A1. I have a pic somewhere of me pulling a triaxle dump truck out of the mud. The dump truck was brought in to drop stone to "dry" things up a bit at the entrance to the show. Good times!

WarHorse_Alex

Here in Germany you would go to jail for 5000 years and pay a fine of gazillions of euro for driving through the "nature". Sad, sad. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)
Ha-ha-ha- maybe xDDD I know xDDDD
Yes, in Russia off-roading as hobby not fined in wild.... Exactly last time government add some laws about, but it not work properly yet...
Today we have very small risk of ecological fines for non-commercial persons. Sure, if you will destroy trees in forest, in big amount - yes, you will fined (if smbdy will see your offense), but if you drive trough forest by small old road - no, nothing terrible... Even if many cars in off-road turnout...
And every law abiding off-roader keep a ' gentleman's agreement' for land and forest use - no any destroy in living trees, use safe wide textile straps for winching with trees, no winching for any structures like as electrical poles and etc...
In fact, those place on my pics is private territory of farm - it's a field, which need to bring for agriculture after long time... Almost all trees on it need to remove and soles need to reclamation.... So no any offense in this case - all sole will totally plowing later...

WarHorse_Alex

It was evident firsthand at the East Coast Military Vehicle Rally in Churchville, MD some years back. It rained during the show, and the roads in, out, and around the show were fields of mud. Trucks and cars were getting stuck. I saw several guys with restored vehicles actually turning around when they saw the location rather than subject their trucks to the mud. Randy Emr was there with his award winning M35A2 pulling people out. I was there, too, with a USMC M813A1. I have a pic somewhere of me pulling a triaxle dump truck out of the mud. The dump truck was brought in to drop stone to "dry" things up a bit at the entrance to the show. Good times!
Yes, those many shows in rainy weather turned to the absolutely mud disaster xDDDD I saw rock fests, something musical festivals and car shows, which was placed at fields and when rains start it began to resemble Passchendaele...

dmetalmiki

Very interesting!!! Additional hydraulics and gear levers - can you describe it more detailed with pics? Or maybe you have that post about somewhere here?
And then I can say about you truck more precisely... But now I saw, that your Kraz have roll cage around cab and splitted headlights domes - that was only at bridging trucks... Updated: It's TMM bridge truck maybe... TMM has additional hydro!!!
Cranes or shovels don't have roll cages and spare tires at top!!!
Yes Bridging truck.
Today I had the club fill in the U.K. Registration papers to verify the truck for use on the road..
Pictures of the levers below,
I will take pictures of the OT65 fug instrument panel switches and operating plates,tomorrow, maybe you can help with the translation.

Attachments

WarHorse_Alex

Yes Bridging truck.
Today I had the club fill in the U.K. Registration papers to verify the truck for use on the road..
Pictures of the levers below,
I will take pictures of the OT65 fug instrument panel switches and operating plates,tomorrow, maybe you can help with the translation.
Ok, let's see pics... I can say, that all levers in cab are standard for each Kraz, not only bridge.... Same in my truck - it's mechanical parking brake on shaft, transfer case - H, N, L; Front axle - On/Off; Middle and rear axle interlock - On/Off; Winch - On/Off (Is your truck have a winch? This lever can be used for oil pump activation for unloading a bridge. If it have also a winch - that lever can be 3 positions - Off/Winch/Pump)...
Jake brake is same - pneumatic driving, flap in exhaust and link to cut fuel in pump...
Oil cooler - it's also standard double-core radiator, not additional... Engine have about 37 liters of oil volume and need to be cooled at hot weather and load... Also under hood it must have valve on oil line for excluding oil radiators from line for winter, for prevention of overcooling...

But only underneath oil tank and unknown for me valve is special for bridge .... That valve looks as manual pump with bar (imagine, how many movements need to full cycle)

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I saw this video early!!!! I found that Scammell wrecker trucks and searched something about...
That Kraz was good! If it not a big secret - why are you sold it? It has nice van atop!!! As we call - 'low van' - roof of van is equal with cab roof in height. Most of mil vans for trucks (not only for Kraz - for all trucks) have high height - more then top cab...
I sold it to purchase a Gamma Goat. something new, I like to experience everything. And I got a sore head (AND BACK) from banging my head on the roof and bending all the time.And the young helpers could drive that 'GOAT' to shows (RULE = ONLY in convoy with us.).
My latest Kraz has the troop body, I had them remove the bridge so that I make a camper of while looks original under canvass and can carry ANY THING to a show which makes less trips to present all my vehicles.
I usually load one tow two!!.
That's three to the show at one trip.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Oh, no!!! Unfortunately in present days we have tighten the nuts more and more. Another stage in this question happened 1 March - peoples in panic - in accordance with new technical rules half of all cars will not pass annual technical test... Because laws was compose by idiots - many things was described superficially and every point can be turned, as profitable for committee...
We always thought " ANYTHING GOES" in the eastern block.
In Poland at the huge off road event there are huge military vehicles tanks apc all sizes on the roads to the event.

One holliday I have long wished...wanted..USSR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks