• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The infamous Well Nut info

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn’t appear to be from what I’m reading in these posts.

Good tool to use for reactivity/resistance:

https://www.customadvanced.com/chemical-resistance-chart.html?chemical=Diesel+Oil&rubber=NBR

edit: 2111HRS

View attachment 717161

Well Nuts, pickled in low-sulfur diesel fuel with a bit of Optilube XPD added (‘cause I put it in there).

I love a good science fair project.

I’ll get back to you in a few months, or if black stuff starts settling out or the nuts swell or something.
I have a similar experiment going in two separate marked glass jars of low sulfur farm diesel with one from each vendor in each. I'll keep all posted as to the results.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, I did the same thing with coke and teeth, in the 4th grade. Waited one month. I haven't drank a coke since. I will be 64 in 8 weeks. There was nothing left in the bottle but fine power.
I don't drink coke or any other type of cola either. Given the high phosphoric acid content, it will dissolve about anything that is not acid proof/resistant including your teeth and muscle tissue. Its the worst thing anyone can put in their body.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So, it sounds like the threads of the well-nut actually cut INTO the pipe piece (unthreaded) as it twists into place, is that the mechanics of it?

And here I repaired a leaking fuel tank on a portable power supply used to pump up a hydraulic jack on huge aircraft. I never knew what it was called. I had to go to the oldest lawnmower guy in this town to his really old store and He gave me one for two bucks, He had bins of them.

And Welcome back Another Ahab!

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I repaired a leaking fuel tank on a portable power supply used to pump up a hydraulic jack on huge aircraft. I never knew what it was called. I had to go to the oldest lawnmower guy in this town to his really old store and He gave me one for two bucks, He had bins of them.

Bins of them, as in "neoprene" or "buna n" ? Honestly, I really don't think it makes a whole **** of a lot of difference other than people being potentially ripped off for a product that isn't what it is claimed to be by the selling vendors.

Guyfang

Staff member

Frank,

Where has Ahab posted? I looked, didn't see anything.

gatorbob

Anyone know where to get the well nuts these days? Beyond the high price, I worry the ones on ebay won't really be nitrile. I've got what looks and smells like a diesel leak outside my MEP-803A at the drain port. Thanks.

dav5

I used the nitrile well nuts and they were an absolute PITA. Daybreak posted a link in Post #73 for the ultimate well nut which is brass. You have to remove the fuel filler neck to install them but they are so much better than the nitrile one it is worth the extra hassle. I will never use a nitrile well nut again.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Guy passed on 23 months ago, I wouldn't even know where to start again. post #84

"And here I repaired a leaking fuel tank on a portable power supply used to pump up a hydraulic jack on huge aircraft. I never knew what it was called. I had to go to the oldest lawnmower guy in this town to his really old store and He gave me one for two bucks, He had bins of them."

I was trying to make one for an A&P. It was the fuel tank on a gasoline powered hydraulic jack for changing tires on airliners. They were told to do it by hand pump jack, 100's of pumps an inch, That is why I was fixing it for Him and the company for free.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Back in 1973, I was in a HAWK Air Defense Battery. We had Self Propelled Launchers. They were on M548 chassis. To protect the track durring launch, a blast shield was added. To get at the engine compartment, you could start the engine, and use the Hydraulic system to open up the blast shield. It had to move several feet, before you could get into the engine compartment. When the engine blew up, no hydraulics. There was a hand pump. After 80-100 pumps, the shield moved about an inch. One of my first "extra training" sessions that I had after being absent from my place of duty, was to open up the blast shield, of a track that had a blown engine. I was there for about 4-5 hours. My arms were about to fall off and I had lost a few pounds, when I had it open. SFC Lonnie Holland had been watching from time to time, to ensure no one helped me. He came over, looked at me, then waved his arm. Another track fired up, and drover over to park next to the dead track. A sgt jumped out with two hoses coiled around his arm. He plugged them into two quick disconnect fittings on his track. Then he plugged them into two fittings on the dead track. Went to the hydraulic controls on the dead track, and closed the blast shield. He disconnected the hoses and drove away. SFC Holland looked at me, and said" Why ain't the blast shield open yet?" So yes, I can feel for anyone having to hand pump up an aircraft, to change a tire. Oh yeah.

robert10910

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to check out Green Mountain Generators if you need parts for MEP 802 or MEP 803A a good place for parts

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to check out Green Mountain Generators if you need parts for MEP 802 or MEP 803A a good place for parts
Howdy,

I see your new around here. So I won't go to hard on ya ;)

GMG wants to sell the stupid little A3816 wellnut for like $22 to your door.

A while ago I picked up 40 A3816 wellnuts and sold them off. In a envelope mailed to you for about $4.50 Look for parts and pieces from members here, and ask around for other items. :)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to go with the OEM style, SS user Suprman sells them on ebay here:

Ray70

I'm going to order 2 from Suprman today.
I have found the hard way that A3816 doesn't always get you Nitrile. The ones GM sells are clearly marked as Chloroprene which has a "D" rating for diesel fuel, about equal to Neoprene.
I have used Chloroprene before ( $5 at Grainger ) and they only lasted about a year.
Worst experience I had last week... I bought 2 "A3816" off ebay recently and received parts in a Hillman package.
Same company that makes hardware for Home Depot.
I installed one last week and within 4 days I had diesel fuel all over my shop floor.
In less than 4 days after install the Hillman well-nut had turned to a soft gummy mess.
So I assume the Hillman one was either made of Play Dough, or possibly paper mache, but not even close to nitrile.
I see that googling A3816 gets you all sorts of stuff of varying material, so I guess I will go with the real-deal Nitrile from Suprman.

Bluevic443

I'm going to order 2 from Suprman today.
I have found the hard way that A3816 doesn't always get you Nitrile. The ones GM sells are clearly marked as Chloroprene which has a "D" rating for diesel fuel, about equal to Neoprene.
I have used Chloroprene before ( $5 at Grainger ) and they only lasted about a year.
Worst experience I had last week... I bought 2 "A3816" off ebay recently and received parts in a Hillman package.
Same company that makes hardware for Home Depot.
I installed one last week and within 4 days I had diesel fuel all over my shop floor.
In less than 4 days after install the Hillman well-nut had turned to a soft gummy mess.
So I assume the Hillman one was either made of Play Dough, or possibly paper mache, but not even close to nitrile.
I see that googling A3816 gets you all sorts of stuff of varying material, so I guess I will go with the real-deal Nitrile from Suprman.
Look at the "Ultimate Well Nut" Once and done and solid brass and uses o-rings to seal.

Ray70

You are correct, the Ultimate well nut would be the way to go if I was keeping the machine for myself, but these are for resale and with today's market it's difficult to justify any extra money spent on upgrades. Buyers don't want to pay any extra even knowing you upgraded all the machine's known faults.
But, ultimate well nut will eventually find itself on my personal machines, if I keep an 802/803 when this is all over!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks