• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE JUSTIFIER Guntruck

AMGeneral

Are you scaling your conversion off pictures? It seems like these trucks are all fairly custom. You guys are causing my resolve to waver on keeping the M54A2 stock, even though it did time in the sandbox, and is still in original configuration.
Basically yes,I'm not using grid square overlay of the pictures or anything,just were certain parts line up with on the original pictures of the Justifier itself.

Most if not all information about the individual Guntruck is provided by Veterans that either helped build,or crewed the trucks themselves.

Amer-team

There is one M35 out here with a quad 50 in the back, but it isn't really done up as a gun truck. After reading your thread and a few others, I was getting the idea to find a Guntruck Vet. One of the guys in our group was a truck driver running supplies in 65-66 and he told me his unit was the last M211's.

It is great that you are going full scale and as accurate as possible. One of our guys works at the Shipyard and suggested going with Aluminum for the armor plating in the back instead of steel. Another suggested plywood and painting. I was sort of hoping to fabricate in such a way that it could come off and go back on if necessary.

Is yours going to be Steel and welded to the bed or will it be removable. There seems to be a lot of variation in pedesatals for weapons as well. Looks like it is pick one and go for it. Thank you.

vtdeucedriver

There is one M35 out here with a quad 50 in the back, but it isn't really done up as a gun truck. After reading your thread and a few others, I was getting the idea to find a Guntruck Vet. One of the guys in our group was a truck driver running supplies in 65-66 and he told me his unit was the last M211's.

It is great that you are going full scale and as accurate as possible. One of our guys works at the Shipyard and suggested going with Aluminum for the armor plating in the back instead of steel. Another suggested plywood and painting. I was sort of hoping to fabricate in such a way that it could come off and go back on if necessary.

Is yours going to be Steel and welded to the bed or will it be removable. There seems to be a lot of variation in pedesatals for weapons as well. Looks like it is pick one and go for it. Thank you.
Ask papabear about the plywood direction. He should have some valuable insight on that. Aluminum is a option on the weight.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ask papabear about the plywood direction. He should have some valuable insight on that. Aluminum is a option on the weight.
Ummm....well...the plywood seemed like a good idea at the time because it was fast, easy and sorta cheap and we were under a time crunch to get the 1st Proud American tribute Guntruck built for a Gathering in Pigeon Forge, TN. It looked really good at a distance and held up quite well for a couple of years as we sealed, primed and painted the wood very well. The truck was also kept inside the shop and maybe got wet 2 or 3 times.

After we got the correct truck (M54A1) and used steel for the gunbox the old (wooden gunbox) truck was put outside with the rest of the trucks and the wood quickly fell apart.

I would not recommend wood.

vtdeucedriver

Ummm....well...the plywood seemed like a good idea at the time because it was fast, easy and sorta cheap and we were under a time crunch to get the 1st Proud American tribute Guntruck built for a Gathering in Pigeon Forge, TN. It looked really good at a distance and held up quite well for a couple of years as we sealed, primed and painted the wood very well. The truck was also kept inside the shop and maybe got wet 2 or 3 times.

After we got the correct truck (M54A1) and used steel for the gunbox the old (wooden gunbox) truck was put outside with the rest of the trucks and the wood quickly fell apart.

I would not recommend wood.
I was thinking more the other reason.

Amer-team

Thank you for the tip on the wood. Here in the NW, exposed to rain is a given. I am still hoping to find that stripped M113 hull behind someone's barn.
Papabear, did you use 1/8th in. steel for this project? I don't think weight is too much of an issue, unless we make it removable. these trucks are rated to carry about 19,000.

vtdeucedriver

Ok Brandon. The 2799 antenna has illuded me in my disaster of parts storage. Here are the two head lights, one Wagner and the other a GE. These are the CORRECT color unlike the coated ones you see out there. I have 2 more sets that I am holding on to as I want to install them on my M-62. Here are also the armor lights. now I am probably going to shoot myself in the foot because BRUTUS did have one on it but I think a friend has a solo one kicking around and I can install one later. This is stuff I have been holding on to for a while so its time to kick some of it to a worthy project.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Ok Brandon. The 2799 antenna has illuded me in my disaster of parts storage. Here are the two head lights, one Wagner and the other a GE. These are the CORRECT color unlike the coated ones you see out there. I have 2 more sets that I am holding on to as I want to install them on my M-62. Here are also the armor lights. now I am probably going to shoot myself in the foot because BRUTUS did have one on it but I think a friend has a solo one kicking around and I can install one later. This is stuff I have been holding on to for a while so its time to kick some of it to a worthy project.
PM sent.

AMGeneral

Nothing really to update on the guntruck itself,just a few weekend repairs to the M62A1 wrecker so I can transport the M813A1 home that has the donor bed for the guntruck build.

Just a few pictures of yours truly pulling wheels to repack bearings and rebuild wheel cylinders on the wrecker.

P.S.,Clinto isn't the only one that wears blue gloves while doing greasy jobs.

Attachments

jatonka

Jeez, I thought I was going to meet up with AM General in NC and bring them in together. Guess I am really the Lone Ranger on this trip. JT

vtdeucedriver

Any chance vtdeuce can convoy down with ya JT?
If JT would let me hook the towbar on and have him drag me so Im not pumping $$$$$ out the stack. I'm really trying to do this without selling the M-151. I am covered on the GunBox but the rest is going to be close so the bank is empty to get it there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks