• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1008 lift project begins

There are plenty of lift threads but I have found something from several different threads that helped me get ready for mine. Installing the ORD 4" lift with rear shackle flip. Seems to be the norm around here but I'm not sure how I feel about the setup just yet. I can already see that I am going to have to go farther than anticipated. Just started last night and thought I'd post a couple pics. I used a grinder to remove the frame rivets for the rear shackle flip brackets. Not too bad of a job...yet. The first photo shows how you have to notch the bottom rear of the bracket to clear the bumper support.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Since a shackle flip lift changes how the rear wheel is centered (it is moved forward) I will plan on adding the zero rate kit to move the axle back 1 1/2 to re-center the wheels in the opening. I'll add the U bolt flip kit at that time. moving the axle rearward will require lengthening my already new drive shaft. There goes the savings from not buying rear lift springs. :???:

Thanks Matt. I have checked that thread a few times now but I missed that part. So your rear axle is back 1 1/2"?

I may have some more questions for you when I get to the steering if you don't mind.

Mike

Well the shackle flip is done in the rear and the shocks are on. The back axle definitely needs to go back so another zero rate kit for the back is in planned. Should net me a little over 5" of lift. I wish I could get working on the front as the correct springs FINALLY arrived from ORD but the HD shackles are still a week away. 3 weeks to FedEx a pair of shackles that were on their shelf??? I ordered this stuff all at once a month and a half ago and was shorted the shackles and pitman arm. The arm is still back ordered but they said they'd send the shackles the week before last. Good thing I've got something else to drive... :whistle:

Attachments

I couldn't wait for ORD so I went ahead with the front springs this afternoon. I'll have to do the HD shackles when I'm doing the crossover steering and the frame braces. The front was easier than the rear. To move the axle forward I had to drill a 3/4" hole through the heavy cast spring plate for the new relief for the spring center bolt. A pilot hole followed by a step drill made it an easy job. Here's some more pics. Still need a zero rate for the rear to move the axle back.

Attachments

why did you move the front axle forward? I don't remember the front axle perch's having an offset hole?

Vinny
Trying to gain more tire/body clearance because the first place a larger tire hits is the rear of the fender. As the front spring flattens out the axle will move rearward a little. The offset is in the zero rate blocks that are bolted to the spring pack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks