• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The MEP-831 goes to the track

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not been on the forum so much lately or online in general due to a lot of changes on this end. Non life threatening thankfully.

Last weekend I took the time to go to the track for the weekend. We borrowed a friends camper and I decided to use the MEP-831 for power since its usually a struggle to get power at the event. I rolled up to the paddock and fired up the 831. Other than a few minutes of shutdown to check the oil it ran from Thursday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. When I left home it had 47 hours now it has 115. Developed a bit of a fuel leak around the fuel filter and found it to be a tad loose. I'm going to clean it and check it over again after a well deserved oil change.

She purred like a kitten all weekend and the two Hemacool units keep the food in good shape.

We smoked over 100lbs of pork as a fundraiser for a children's medical charity and raised almost $2k.

Overall it was a fantastic break away for a bit. Heading back into the fires this morning. Hope everyone has a great week.

2019-09-15 14.01.23 (Medium).jpg2019-09-14 20.12.30 (Medium).jpg2019-09-15 15.20.50 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely. The team did a great job driving. Only a couple black flags and no broken parts. Placed 17th out of 98.

DieselGenAC

Nice. LeMons is on my list of life goals. Some day I will build an appropriate lemons car by swapping a GM diesel into a Trabant or a Gray marine engine into a Camaro.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha. Those guys are cool. I bought all the chevy volt batteries I have from them. The chevy batteries were too bulky.

I could see taking a MEP803 engine and doing a ghetto turbo then putting it in a Chevette or something suitably terrible.

Guyfang

Staff member
I've not been on the forum so much lately or online in general due to a lot of changes on this end. Non life threatening thankfully.

Last weekend I took the time to go to the track for the weekend. We borrowed a friends camper and I decided to use the MEP-831 for power since its usually a struggle to get power at the event. I rolled up to the paddock and fired up the 831. Other than a few minutes of shutdown to check the oil it ran from Thursday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. When I left home it had 47 hours now it has 115. Developed a bit of a fuel leak around the fuel filter and found it to be a tad loose. I'm going to clean it and check it over again after a well deserved oil change.

She purred like a kitten all weekend and the two Hemacool units keep the food in good shape.

We smoked over 100lbs of pork as a fundraiser for a children's medical charity and raised almost $2k. :razz:

Overall it was a fantastic break away for a bit. Heading back into the fires this morning. Hope everyone has a great week.

No radio in the car? Man, fast track and loud jams are like bread and butter!! Hope you had a good time.

View attachment 776579View attachment 776580View attachment 776578

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Always nice to just use the equipment instead of just working on it.

I found a very cheap alternative for the fuel filters in these units. Search R12T on eBay. I got one with a complete bowl for $16.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a radio in the car for coms. Might be a bit tough enjoying tunes while someone is trying to run you off the track. haha

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mike, I've browsed the forum but I'm not signed up over there. Lots of great info to be had there.

Generator update - Think I have the fuel leak sorted. The hose clamp on the filter inlet was loose. I took the opportunity to check all the rest of the clamps and they were all snug. Did a short test run and I didn't see any additional leakage. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it loosens itself up again. This is one application where I like the spring clamps better.

Also changed the oil and cleaned up the fuel with some engine degreaser. Looks to be mission ready.

CT-Mike

Hi Mike, I've browsed the forum but I'm not signed up over there. Lots of great info to be had there.
Chris,

On the third weekend in April, there is a huge BGE get together at Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury, NC - it's called Butt Blast. All jokes aside, you really should try and attend. You will meet some amazing characters, and eat some even more amazing food. Most of the real shenanigans happen in the evening (Friday and Saturday) before and after the main event. We drove down from CT last year to attend - had a great time. It is a family friendly event if you have kids. Hoping to attend again in the spring.

Guyfang

Staff member

Generator update - Think I have the fuel leak sorted. The hose clamp on the filter inlet was loose. I took the opportunity to check all the rest of the clamps and they were all snug. Did a short test run and I didn't see any additional leakage. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it loosens itself up again. This is one application where I like the spring clamps better.

Also changed the oil and cleaned up the fuel with some engine degreaser. Looks to be mission ready.
If you mean the plastic spring clamps, give me a NSN. I have a bunch I found in my tool box. Several different sizes. I could give them to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks