• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE MONSTERS ARE HERE!!! Huge turbos for the kits... w/ pics

DrFoster

Boy talk about a big box... The ups guy showed up just a few minutes ago, and made me sign for a package without anything else in his hands besides the e-clipboard...

He grumbled, "I'll be right back this is a big one."

I could hear the clank of his hand cart, and a few grunts, as he eventually came back to the door with this giant box... Now, I'm wondering, because I just got done shelling out a ton of cash on ebay for shooting supplies, what the heck is it that? Must be a mistake...

Opening it was lke a 250lb christmas day!

Pics:

Attachments

Hoootah Maggie!!!
When the curtain climber can fit in it, that is huge!!!

Dang. Is it for your Deuce?
I can't wait for you to try it out and get a report.

Speakin' of shooting supplies, you wouldn't happen to be going to check out the Prarie Dog popalation there in the Denver area are ye? I'm jealous.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc,
As you haven't gotten your deuce yet, I guess we will just have to test that sucker on mine? We could put it on this weekend at the scout campout.

How much boost is that puppy supposed to give out? I know we were discussing almost doubling the hp and torque. MAN that is ONE HUGE spinner.

Just a thought.

jim

DrFoster

Flange for the manifold is on it's way. I finally talked to the guys - it is "under construction", so that could be a week or so.

Anyhow, 5 of these came in, worth $1200 each, and I'd part with one if you seriously want it without buying an entire kit for $700.00 shipped DHL to your door.

The other holsets are set to come in soon too. If you'd like a smaller HX40/50/55, on a smaller flange let me know. This is a T5, and the Holset is on a T4. I don't have a firm price on the Holsets yet.

jwaller

it looks like a lot of mass for a small compressor and turbine. mind telling exactly what they are? are the manifolds divided like the stock turbo or are they open?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc, IHI is a sub of ABB. The company i work for. Can you post a close up pic of the ID tag? I'd like to see how much i can get it for.

DrFoster

jwaller said:
it looks like a lot of mass for a small compressor and turbine. mind telling exactly what they are? are the manifolds divided like the stock turbo or are they open?
They are IHI RCE7 Wastegated with custom compressor wheels. Good luck finding any documentation on a IHI turbo without workignwith the engineers there at IHI for a compressor map. The only public documents I've seen are one mass-rainbow-colored map and a spec sheet that was garbage. They're quite secret about the turbos for some reason.

The manifolds on a stock turbo aren't REALLY divided, they're ported a bit to smooth pulses, but that has to do with an old church of turbos. In the end they don't divide the exhaust wheel anyway. They are omitted on this collector, it's huge and won't make a diffference anyway.

As far as rotating mass, it's LESS than the switchzer/KKK/Borg Turbo that comes stock. If you're speaking about orbital mass, it's 3-4 times that with the monster Wastegate, collector, and all of the goodies like the WGA.

Price - I know exactly what IHI can sell them for, but you'll need to spend about $6000 to get them at the price I did. They aren't keen to one-offs without charging an arm and a leg. Look at HKS and Greddy; they can't buy these without big investments just for off-the-shelf ones! Selling Them to you guys at $700 is a fantastic deal considering that you generally can't touch these for less than $895 with a bulk purchase and $1200 for a one-off.

Hoep that answers all the questions! Today, Wallew is going to see it in person - this will be funny. I'll get a pic

Westech

CPL
what kind of boost do you think your going to get!? remember that the multi is 22-1 comp already, and even the N/A motors have bad problems with head gaskets leaking/burning out. mine are all new and they still seap oil out of the vents.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually. the troop seats were heavier than almost any of the other items.

You just to have to use leverage to get them up in the bed, which is 53" from ground level. After I got the troop seats left, right and front, then bows and staves. The top is not only marked 'Front' but is one of the fairly light weight vinyl ones, so it's not too bad.

The kinda sad part is I'm gonna break it all back down to run just as a large pickup truck for a run for Habitat for Humanity next weekend. BUT for this weekend, the truck WILL BE my tent. All I've got left to load is my QUEEN SIZED BED and a rug for the floor and I'll be set. And my bag of clothes, which I finally got packed.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For comparison, these are the LDS and "D" turbos. The LDS turbo with waste gate, was actually used to add power when the multis were used in the 5-ton trucks. Turbos for the deuces were specifically used for exhaust smoke reduction.
The "C" turbo is slightly smaller than the "D".

Looking forward to the results from all this, Doc, some changes to the engine may be in order when higher demands are put on it.

Attachments

jwaller

when the 5 tonners got the multi's what else was changed on them other than the turbo and what hp were they rated for?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: THE MONSTERS ARE HERE!!! Huge turbos for the kits... w/

One thing I noticed reading the manuals was that there are oil jets attached along the bottom of the block. They spray oil at the undersides of the pistons to cool them. There are alot of other differences like the injection pump, etc.

The manuals have alot more info:
LDS 472-2 engine: TM 9-2815-204-35
LDS 465-1, LD 465-1, LDS 465-1A engines: TM 9-2815-210-35

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks