• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new guy needs help

wb1895

Let me start by saying hi to all of my brothers in arms. I am currently stationed in Iraq with the North Carolina National Guard. I have been looking at buying a Deuce for quite a while but, have not had the funds to get one. I am now able to get one but need some help from the experenced guys. I am not too sure what to look for at some of these surplus sites and Govt auction sites.

All I am looking for is a simple non fancy Deuce with or without a winch. It doesnt have to be pretty, it just needs to be a good running truck.

My price range is somewhere between 3-5 thousand. Any help or good sites to look for one is greatly appreceated.

By the way, how exactly do the Gove auction sites work?

McVeyMac

Let me start by saying hi to all of my brothers in arms. I am currently stationed in Iraq with the North Carolina National Guard. I have been looking at buying a Deuce for quite a while but, have not had the funds to get one. I am now able to get one but need some help from the experenced guys. I am not too sure what to look for at some of these surplus sites and Govt auction sites.

All I am looking for is a simple non fancy Deuce with or without a winch. It doesnt have to be pretty, it just needs to be a good running truck.

My price range is somewhere between 3-5 thousand. Any help or good sites to look for one is greatly appreceated.

By the way, how exactly do the Gove auction sites work?
I have purchased two deuces from GL (Government Liquidation). The experience I have is old and things seem to always be changing with GL. Bottom line when looking at a GL truck, go see the truck before the auction. Many trucks are listed as the truck runs, but then again many list them as running condition unknown. Pick a truck where they represent it as a running truck. If you can, try and start the vehicle. If the battery is dead, ask if you can put batteries in the truck to try and start it. You will need two 12 volt batteries as large as you can find. There used to be a thread that was a checklist of things to look for when inspecting a GL truck. Look mainly for things such as all liquids, any maintenance records that might be with the truck etc. If the truck starts then you are off to a really good beginning.

If you are going to drive the truck home from the DRMO, you will want to change all of the filters if possible. GL will most likely not allow you to add any fluids while it is on the base. You might find a garage near buy that will allow you to work on the truck to add fluids and change the filters. I towed one truck off of the base, added fluids at the tow truck company, started her up and drove her all the way across Ohio and half way across Pennsylvania.

There was a time when GL gave titles to the trucks that they sold, and then they changed to not give any titles then switched back to giving titles. I do not know what their current practice is. I got the government’s version of the title with the first truck I got, and I had to go to the judge to get a title assigned to the second one because GL would not give me one. Additionally, you will have to fill out an application for an EUC or an end use certificate. In this you commit to the government that you will not sell the vehicle to any non-U. S. citizen. You also tell them how it is that you intend to use the truck. Other than this, you give GL a credit card, read their instructions and bid much like you would on e-Bay.

I hope this helps, but I know there are threads on the old site that cover this in great detail.

Walt

mbwarner

Thank you for serving. The east coast trucks are going for $1500-2000, looks like. The key is in prior inspection--which you can't do. Were I any where near NC, I'd be happy to go inspect one for you to bid on. Maybe one of the east coast folks will ring in with that offer.

As to bidding on GL, you register and provide a credit card number, and bid like on any other online auction. THE GL site is a little less user friendly than others, IMHO, but you can figure it out.

When are you coming home?

wb1895

I am looking at coming home on leave in August, and home for good around January. I was hoping to be able to look at some when I am home on two weeks of leave. I have looked around at some of the websites but all I have seen is prices around 5-7 thousand. Not to be too nosey but are there any yards or sites that are close to NC that have good low prices?

By the way Iraq SUCKS. It is dang HOT here!!

McVeyMac

I will be selling my truck. The GL guys pocked a fork through the oil pan from a fork lift. I patched this and drove it home. I tried fixing the oil pan by welding a new piece of sheet to it with the drain plug welded to it, but I have pin hole leaks. I will sell the truck as is for $3,500.00 with a new oil pan and gasket that you can put on yourself. This truck runs well, and there are no other problems that I have found with it. Additionally, there are two brand new 6TL batteries in it. It is an M35A2 turbo. If you are interested I can send some pictures and vitals. I'm certain this truck will make it from PA to NC. as is.

Walt

wb1895

I will be selling my truck. The GL guys pocked a fork through the oil pan from a fork lift. I patched this and drove it home. I tried fixing the oil pan by welding a new piece of sheet to it with the drain plug welded to it, but I have pin hole leaks. I will sell the truck as is for $3,500.00 with a new oil pan and gasket that you can put on yourself. This truck runs well, and there are no other problems that I have found with it. Additionally, there are two brand new 6TL batteries in it. It is an M35A2 turbo. If you are interested I can send some pictures and vitals. I'm certain this truck will make it from PA to NC. as is.

Walt

I am interested but it will be several months before i can do much (stuck in Iraq) But if you still want, you can send some pics. If you have other interested people, please dont wait on me.