• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Lord, please take me away in my sleep before i ever have to do this with my M62 , for surely the task will kill me with much suffering, bloody knuckles, bumps, bruises, pulled muscles, popped joints, and cussing the likes of which will not allow me thru the gates. o_O
To be honest, the hardest part(s) of this has been the unknown. The TM spells it out, has images, but they are TM images from the late 50's, not so clear and the instructions aren't either. And the way the not so smart people before me worked on it. I do not think whoever it was was a mechanically inclined person. Things were stupid tight and just all jacked up. And the way it was assembled is just as it was in the 70's so it is nothing like I am used to working with. It is like taking a trip in a time machine back 50 years. And the fact that the -16 hoses were old, hard and pipe threaded into the component with some sort of sealant that was extremely difficult to get un sealed, coupled with over tightening.

The fitting deal is just progress. The Ermetto stuff was from the 50's. It is NLA. It just made more sense to convert to a modern product for ease of maintenance. Wasn't cheap, but since we plan to have this as a worker bee, it will be safe and reliable.

Next hurdle is gong to be getting the hoses back down the center and getting the routed properly.

Still want to do some sort of filter pre pump. Still needs to be re spooled with new wire rope on the crane and need to get with Justin at Red River to see if they have the rear winch cable end. Maybe i'll call them today.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To be honest, the hardest part(s) of this has been the unknown. The TM spells it out, has images, but they are TM images from the late 50's, not so clear and the instructions aren't either. And the way the not so smart people before me worked on it. I do not think whoever it was was a mechanically inclined person. Things were stupid tight and just all jacked up. And the way it was assembled is just as it was in the 70's so it is nothing like I am used to working with. It is like taking a trip in a time machine back 50 years. And the fact that the -16 hoses were old, hard and pipe threaded into the component with some sort of sealant that was extremely difficult to get un sealed, coupled with over tightening.

The fitting deal is just progress. The Ermetto stuff was from the 50's. It is NLA. It just made more sense to convert to a modern product for ease of maintenance. Wasn't cheap, but since we plan to have this as a worker bee, it will be safe and reliable.

Next hurdle is gong to be getting the hoses back down the center and getting the routed properly.

Still want to do some sort of filter pre pump. Still needs to be re spooled with new wire rope on the crane and need to get with Justin at Red River to see if they have the rear winch cable end. Maybe i'll call them today.
I don't know if you have any "bell wire" (Ma Bell, the 2 inch stuff that carries traffic to the neighborhood) but It will make life a lot easier if you wrap a piece onto each end of the new hoses. You know... The color coded stuff like you use on Cat5 cable would work too. Blue / Spot Blue and so on. That way you plug the hose into the right connector...

BLK HMMWV

I don't know if you have any "bell wire" (Ma Bell, the 2 inch stuff that carries traffic to the neighborhood) but It will make life a lot easier if you wrap a piece onto each end of the new hoses. You know... The color coded stuff like you use on Cat5 cable would work too. Blue / Spot Blue and so on. That way you plug the hose into the right connector...

He painted #s on all the fittings as well as used a punch to put dimples on the fittings in case the paint comes off, kind of like reading braille.
I think it has something to do with his early childhood.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
He painted #s on all the fittings as well as used a punch to put dimples on the fittings in case the paint comes off, kind of like reading braille.
I think it has something to do with his early childhood.
Good deal... Just thinking about how much fun it is when a hose goes through a hole - then your try to pull on that hose - to figure out which one is which.

EXCELLENT that he thought it out ahead of time!

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it was, and still is, messy under it. I used zip ties to mark the location, none thru 3 on both the lines and on the blocks where they go. For installation, I just prick punched 0 thru 3 dots on the fitting. Should go back fine, just getting them down the hole might be a bit of an adventure.

As for the German, yeah, my Great Grandfather, Grandmother were Emigrants from Germany so what % does that make me? I do want to learn German. I think BLK HMMWV and I should learn it so we can talk about things and our friends won't have a clue....or talk about them!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im down with it. We're both German.
Wagner and Warner
You already seem to have a good grasp of all the 4 and 5 letter German cuss words.
Hey you do know that all our friends are German right.
It's just none of us speak it.
I know. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to be having a convo and all of a sudden switch to German! We could really mess with them! Imagine, we say something, stop, look at them and just start bustin' up! :ROFLMAO: Then walk away.

Guyfang

Staff member
I know. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to be having a convo and all of a sudden switch to German! We could really mess with them! Imagine, we say something, stop, look at them and just start bustin' up! :ROFLMAO: Then walk away.

Daily occurrence in my house. Anyone who knows us understands. But many folks look at us in wonder. Like on the train.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks