• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Novice Deuce

vociferation

Good Day All,

I don't know much about the M35A2 other that what I've researched online. The wife and I want to travel around the country. However, we want to get off the beaten path and avoid the hustle and bustle of city touring and perhaps stay a while at locations we find desirable. The beast would need to sustain us.

Procuring an actual ready made Overlander is ridiculously expensive. However, the Bobbed Deuces I've seen for sale are really cost effective. We've thought about getting one and either retrofitting a long bed camper onto the shortened bed or just adding a hitch and towing a 5th Wheel. However making it all one unit is enticing in that it would offer fewer impediments off road. I also like the bump in mph and fuel range with the bobbed versions, as long as we're weight conscious about our load out.

Looking for some education. I'll be researching these items as well but figured you all might offer insights that I may not find elsewhere. The places I've been looking at, to procure a bobbed deuce from, offer some of the following add ons. Can you guide me toward the worthwhile upgrades and layman's reasons for why? Many thanks:

• Hydraulic Power Steering
  • Air Condition (12V/24v)
  • 12 Volt Conversion
  • 24/12 V 60 Amp Solid State Reducer
  • 24/12 V 20 Amp Solid State Reducer
  • Winch 12K/15K Lbs.
  • Winch (PTO Driven)
  • PTO w/ PTO Shaft to Rear
  • Detroit Locker
  • ARB Air Locker
  • Lock Out Hubs
  • Also, is there any way to dampen the cab noise?

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. I would recommend driving one before you decide. I love mine but it's not the greatest highway truck, and will require a good deal of maintenance.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the highway, expect 50 miles an hour average, unless you have the larger (and much heavier) tires. Even bobbers will not get much more than 12 MPG. and theeDIZ is correct in that they require a good maintenance regimen.

vociferation

Good to know and yes I certainly will. No sense spending dough foolishly. We're also entertaining retrofitting a bus or a short bus. It's just she and I and two small dogs. However, the bus factor likely wouldn't allow us the off road capability we're seeking and I want a diesel engine for whatever we decide on. I found this site, while looking for info and it's just chic-full-o heavy duty goodness.

What's the best tire size upgrade that you would recommend? I'm more practical than showy :)

vociferation

Is that pic one of yours? The Command Center version, yes? That thing is dying to be an off grid Overlander. We really liked the CC version but of course it would be crawling in the right lane, while on the highway. Ideally, it's an off grid, tiny house, on steroids and a sound option for living that way permanently. :) We wanted to do something like this but in a bobbed version.

14441089_515620221969327_2245144310553401950_n.jpg

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought but there are four wheel drive busses. I purchased a short bus that was four wheel drive from a school district and paid $500 for it. My brother flew in and drove it 500 miles. There are good deals on busses straight from the school, just have to look around.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pic is when I got it(doesn't look like that now) I looked at a bus to, but the kid in me went this route.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi neighbor,

Thought I would give you a shout. I have a M36A2C w/w that I plan on making into
an off road camper, too.

Let's get together and trade ideas and I'll show you what I've done so far.

Call me at 386-658-3539.

Orren Winjum
Dowling Park, FL

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Touring around the country by Deuce, sounds pretty ambitious! A couple potential issues you may have is first off you are going to need to know a few things mechanically about your truck for when something goes wrong, Filter plugged, tires wearing fast and not true, Brake system, steering system, how to add coolant and that is the tip of the iceberg, my first question is are you able to get out of the truck and fix things? If not have your credit card all warmed up because you may need it!
In looking at your list of UPGRADES to you truck I am guessing them to be around 12K (NO LABOR) and that does not include the PTO out the rear?(WHY)? I figure your going to spend around 12K for a decent Deuce, that should buy you a pretty darned nice truck, not spectacular but a good looking reliable truck, then your going to add 12K or more of accessories to this truck, now if you do all the work to the truck yourself you have now 24K invested. Your truck is now ready for your road trip after of course tearing the seats out and removing the transmission cover in the cab and clean everything and Rhino line the floors and back of the cab then run Dynomatt under the floor of the truck to reduce the noise. (yes it can be done)! You get back from your trip and you had fun and decide that its time to sell the truck that you have 24K into and find out that almost NOBODY is even asking question on your for sale add, the reason is you paid 12K then added 12K of accessories to fit YOUR needs and now you cannot sell it? The truck is worth 12K with all the stuff you add to it that is worth so much to you seems just about worthless to everybody else and they wont pay for it. If you get .25 on the dollar for all your additions your doing better than most and that includes me! BUY A DEUCE KEEP IT STOCK use it for weekends and short pleasure runs and your going to do great, the rest of your plan I find pretty questionable for a truck like a Deuce!
Great luck and if you do this please take pics
Karl

rustystud

You get back from your trip and you had fun and decide that its time to sell the truck that you have 24K into and find out that almost NOBODY is even asking question on your for sale add, the reason is you paid 12K then added 12K of accessories to fit YOUR needs and now you cannot sell it? The truck is worth 12K with all the stuff you add to it that is worth so much to you seems just about worthless to everybody else and they wont pay for it. If you get .25 on the dollar for all your additions your doing better than most and that includes me!

That's the price any ones going to pay if they modify their truck. You never get back what you put into it. I think that is some "universal law" or something !

Jericho

BUT, after you sell it for twelve thousand with a 12 k loss on your investment, Guys come out of the wood work saying " OH man , wish you had told me, I would have given you twenty grand for that baby! " If you buy one, buy it because you want to , buy it to keep and buy it WHEN you can afford it, Its an EXPENSIVE hobby no matter how you look at it. ( be prepared to buy more, one starts with ONE and finds they suddenly own 5 )

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the part that you will never get back the money you put in a truck, but I truly doubt you will spend $12k on the deuce purchase price alone! There are as few real nice trucks in the classifieds for $7k and less!

rustystud

I agree with the part that you will never get back the money you put in a truck, but I truly doubt you will spend $12k on the deuce purchase price alone! There are as few real nice trucks in the classifieds for $7k and less!
Actually since there is no more Deuces coming out of the military we only have what is out there now. So as time goes on, they will get scarcer and scarcer until they are no more !!! :shock: . Of course people like us will hang on to them but the price will start to go up to meet demand. That is one reason I'm stock-pilling parts now. I have 3 spare differentials, 5 transmissions, 4 transfer-cases and spare engine and body parts. But no spare complete engine yet ! I cannot seem to get the wife onboard with my spare parts program yet ! She's under the impression I'll die before I need them ! Which is ridiculous since I'll make sure to live long enough to get the full use out of those parts ! I am after all very frugal ! :whistle:

Last edited:

vociferation

Thank you! This idea really resonates with me. I'll do some research. Granted, the concept of driving the big rigs makes me feel tough and all but our goals are just too get off the beaten path without constant breaking down or getting stuck and have a lot of fun doing it. Everybody here has offered some sage thoughts to think about :)

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An "off grid" MV camper/home is a dream few have realized. I whole heartedly encourage anyone to get into the hobby, regardless of skill level (that will change), but only if finances and local laws aren't prohibitive.

Gringeltaube is absolutely correct about skill easily changed, especially with the resources easier than ever accessed. I work in Software for a living and the guys here have seen my truck and think I'm some herculean gear head/fabricator - which is laughable. Just 6 years ago it was quite the accomplishment for me to run a single wire and make (actually have made) a plate to mount interior cab fans

But speaking frankly, judging from what you've written, you likely would be far happier getting into the "Off-Road Expedition Trailer" crowd. Get a regular pickup (or, dare I say, Jeep), mod it or buy it modified, and build or buy an off-road capable trailer. Is that more expensive? Probably, but maybe not. You will have an easier time finding parts and reselling in the future if you so decide. Plus, you will travel faster, farther, in more comfort and have more room for family and pups.

My dog travels short distances with me in my deuce, but I make her wear hearing protection. My philosophy is, if I need it, she does too.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136662-Passenger-Hammock-For-Small-Critter-Friends

Last edited: