• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Overall Fun Factor: M35A2 Deuce vs. M818 Tractor

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fancyd hasn't visited this site since March of '08 - that was 5 years ago! You might want to call the number in his post, but odds are good that it's gone by now.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton all the way. More power, more torque, more everything.
It's funny, when I take the M814 to a rally, all my friends insist on trying to fill the cargo bed with stuff. They have not filled it up yet.

Dipstick

I'll take the Deuce. I live in an apartment complex. My bobbed Deuce fits neatly in a standard parking space. It navigates narrow streets easily. With the Whistler turbo it sounds nastier than any other diesel on the road. It can easily handle 4 tons of cargo in it's 8'x8' wheel humpless bed. And it gets major attention anywhere I drive it. Heck, I watch people stop their cars, get out and photograph it from my balcony all the time. Big? When I'm going down the road I'm eyeball level with triaxle Pete dumps. I'm a big fan of 5th wheel tractors myself....but the average guy can do a heck of a lot more practical stuff in a Deuce with a bed. Don't forget the pintle hook. The Deuce can pull an equipment trailer just fine. My 2 cents. Good luck choosing your truck.

Dipstick

Exactly Rattler. Big pickup on steroids. Even cooler with 11R-20s in front and 11R-20s dueled out back. Looks great and drives just as good. I love mine.

If you are just getting it for a toy/cruiser/occasional off road, I would vote for the deuce. As others have stated, empty 5 ton tractors make for a very rough ride! They also cost a little more, which you could use that extra savings toward power steering if it bothers you. But the deuce is not hard to steer when rolling, you just have to turn the wheel a lot more. They are really not a problem to drive.

What would be really cool for your intended use is a bobbed (rear-most axle removed) deuce. Either with super singles, or the stock NDT's with duals in back. It would be much more maneuverable, a bit zippier, and they just look cool - like a pickup on a massive dose of steroids.[/QUOTE]