• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 'Pinking' of Green Paint

SteveKuhn

This just popped up on another thread where Aervoe 24087 turned pink, so I have an excuse to post this. My truck was Aervoe 383 when I got it and it was distinctly pink-ish. So was another freshly surplussed Air Force Deuce. It's popped up here with other paints that claim they're mil-spec. Doesn't seem to happen with some of the other paints, particularly the modern commercial alkyds or the acrylics and latexes.

I thought it was just crappy hobbyist paint with mine, but it was popping up a lot and in military paint jobs. Then in going through some paint research for Haze Grey for the Ling, I came across these threads

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/19079#.VWcrVUZoAQt
http://defensenews.com/st...hp?i=8777530&c=AME&s=SEA

and an explanation for the phenomenon. It ain't just green trucks:
"..." Various shades of haze gray appear as patches of dark gray, light gray, tannish gray. Here and there might be patches of green-gray. Sometimes, if a ship has received a lot of touch-up work, there might be a dozen or so different grays.

Worst of all, some parts of a ship might not appear gray at all but look downright pink.

"What you are noticing is indeed true," admitted Mark Ingle, the Naval Sea System Command (NAVSEA) technical authority for paint.

"The way the pink happens is a function of time, weather and ultraviolet radiation," Ingle said. "There are an infinite number of variations on the pink theme, depending on the conditions."

The phenomenon has existed since the mid-1990s, when heat-reducing paints, called low solar absorbance (LSA) paints, were introduced. The pinking problem arrived with the LSAs and, ever since, ships' crews have struggled to keep their floating homes looking spiffy..."

Well, by now I guess that the new paints discussed further down in those threads have been delivered, but according to my friend's sailor/son, while they might not have turned pink [yet], they sure do peel off and/or rust through - in no time flat, regardless of prep quality.

Anyway, there 'ya go.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks