• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The real costs...

Bighurt

Well I put together a running tally of expenditures for tax purposes. And I figured perhaps if I shared my info others might not be so bid happy.

Now I'm not upset at all, would I do it over again...probably. Considering what I got, I don't think it's that bad.

Also some of the items on my list are above minimum standards, I could have found a cheaper option.

Enjoy, and if your new to MV's and Government liquidation. That bid price has a lot more behind it than you think. I budgeted $10k...for the truck alone.

:driver:

EDIT: this was supposed to be in Conversations...if the mods wish it moved please do so.

Attachments

Last edited:

paulfarber

I think you are mixing acquisition costs and maintenance costs (a $20 oil analysis could have saved you $100+ in oil) Did you test the antifreeze before changing it? Why not just add a 'revitalize' additive?

What are 'lot removal fees' when you are hauling (apparently) the stuff home?

Yes, you can spend a butt ton of money, or be a bit more conservative and only change what needs changing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "lot fee" are more than likely the towing and storage costs to get the items off of GLs lot.

I know that I have had to pay a couple of hunded $$ to get vehicles off the lot because of a tight timeline and recovery schedule.

The oil and fluids cost is VERY real this day and age. With GL draining fluids without listing it, you had better plan for it.

I have personally seen many trucks at Saganaw, TX, that have had all the fluids drained. Those CUMMINS engines are expensive to fill. I have even heard of holes punched in oil pans to do the job.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said in the first line it is for tax purposes , my guess is for a business write off. And for that everyone goes on the high side of the scale instead of the low side.

Bighurt

I think you are mixing acquisition costs and maintenance costs (a $20 oil analysis could have saved you $100+ in oil) Did you test the antifreeze before changing it? Why not just add a 'revitalize' additive?

What are 'lot removal fees' when you are hauling (apparently) the stuff home?

Yes, you can spend a butt ton of money, or be a bit more conservative and only change what needs changing.
GL drained all fluids...

Yes I'm hauling it home but I had to pay someone to get the truck of the GL site within the posted 10 days. I don't have the luxury of leaving on a whim.

I could have saved on filters, however common sense tells me if there are no fluids in it... might as well change filters.

I really don't understand why your criticizing my post. I'm not complaining I just felt that posting real numbers may help someone lurking reading recovery threads and unaware of potential costs.

For the record, the cheapest shipping quote I got for the truck was $5800 and the Trailer $3800, I never got quotes for the M105's and yes I failed to mention there are two M105's. So I'm saving a butt load of money.

I wonder if my haul for hire business should charge my construction business for the recovery. Might make it hard to explain when both are listed under my SSN with the IRS...LOL

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good view of reality in purchasing used equipment, GL auction or otherwise.

Thing is, I prefer not to look at my purchases that way. If I were willing to face the reality, I probably would not buy stuff from GL.

Then I would have more time and money. What good would that be?

Rick

paulfarber

I confused your intent.. I though you were listing ACQUISITION costs.

Bidding on a truck and getting it home is one thing.

Maintaining it is another.

My costs were
$1500 + $150 Premium
$114 Fuel
$75 Filters
$50 new belts and radiator hose (not installed, just purchased)
$5 Duct tape
$60 DOT 5 (only needed about 2 pints, took down a gallon)
$3 Diet Soda and Candy Bar
$55 Voltmeter and Air Pressure gauge
$3 can of ether
$180 2 batteries
$ 2195 TOTAL to my front door

$545 in 'additional' costs.

Thats why when I see $10k+ for a recovery I gotta ask....

Bighurt

I confused your intent.. I though you were listing ACQUISITION costs.

Bidding on a truck and getting it home is one thing.

Maintaining it is another.

My costs were
$1500 + $150 Premium
$114 Fuel
$75 Filters
$50 new belts and radiator hose (not installed, just purchased)
$5 Duct tape
$60 DOT 5 (only needed about 2 pints, took down a gallon)
$3 Diet Soda and Candy Bar
$55 Voltmeter and Air Pressure gauge
$3 can of ether
$180 2 batteries
$ 2195 TOTAL to my front door

$545 in 'additional' costs.

That's why when I see $10k+ for a recovery I gotta ask....
Well there was some maintenance thrown into the the breakdown. Being so far from home, it's in my best interest to do everything I can to prevent a roadside breakdown.

I'm also recovery 4 items which kinda hurts the budget but the overall average is better. I can figure the numbers for each recovery seperate and compare them to my costs and I imagine it would be cheaper as a group.

Like I said I don't consider my an Acquisition cost but it is the real cost. I didn't have sufficient tie-down equipment. I do now, that was one cost that I hadn't expected, kind of a brain fart on my part. I didn't plan on fluids that killed me, maybe someone reading the thread will think well hey I may need that too.

I do feel that any SS member can look at the list and get a better picture of their own recovery. Somethings are just expensive on big trucks. Can you imagine if I had needed tires, x11 that's a big expenditure.

:beer:

Bighurt

Just got back from the DMV if your keeping tally, add $656 to the final total for title, and registration, for all but the M105's

emr

going to get it on a whim seems not right, u planned for it and bid on it, just sayin.... ;-) Like said so many times in this site, Oh look how cheap they are !!!!!!!!!!! yea right, I never thought they were, and well, i paid more to a dealer that was recommended and trustworthy for the first one because i new I new nothing and did not want to find out the hard way, So after that and learning alot from them bought 6 other trucks at deals, but the first one I paid handsomely and was well worth it .
\
I also agree it is a good post, realistic to some and maybe not to others, But like said above, a lot of good info for the new guys, i know i would have written it all down for sure , and kept notes in the past,

Bighurt

I don't understand I never said I bought it on a whim...

I said leaving on a whim, meaning the EUC could take from 9-60 days to clear and then I have 10 days to fetch is leaving a whim. We have to put leave in the books months in advance, finding out today I need to be in AL the following week is leaving on a whim in my books.

Not to change the subject but it would be nice if GL just said you must pick it up within 70 days. So if you have a fast EUC you can take some time or if you have a slow EUC you at least can schedule a pick-up.

Like I said I planned 10k, yes I went over...If I had bought the stuff from a dealer I would still have been out some of the same costs at some point. GL just forced my maintenance hand.

cr4x4cruiser

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I was taken in by the "cheap" selling prices of most anything on GL and GSA... Having said that, I am pretty sure there will always be something I forget in my desire to get the prize.

When I purchased my fire truck I was on the opposite side of the country... In February... And ended up driving across - finding every conceivable weather issue known to man. By the time I pulled into my father's my never-seen snow & ice, racing-tired Prelude was crying "Uncle". As well, I couldn't have chosen a better time, since the fuel prices across the nation jumped past $4.00 for the first time.

Ironically, none of it mattered, since I knew I had plenty of leeway with the price I stole my rig for. The only thing that really perturbed me was my so-called "friends"... Friends I grew up with, that own the local junkyard/ scrap metal business.

One brother stated the haul would be no more than $250 (since it would be done on a haul-back) - for a distance of 120 miles (which was more than fair). Unfortunately, another brother - who schedules the loads - never bothered to get mine scheduled. This ended up in my rig having a dedicated run, which set me back $600.

For all that GL or GSA may put us through, it was a friend that got me by the short hairs. I do have to say that my experience with the GSA official was fantastic. he went out of his way to accommodate. Never did I hear I would have to wait or my schedule and questions couldn't be addressed.

No, the only true frustration I have with all of this is my own ignorance of just how big my tool box has to be (along with the muscles required) to wrench on this beast.

Would I do it again? Absolutely... Will I be better prepared? Of course... Will I ever admit failure to my better-half? You have got to be out of your mind...

Woo-hoo, where's the next prize I'm going to win?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One thing a lot of people don't consider when buying a big MV is the cost of tags and insurance.....my wrecker ate my lunch on that note. $750.00 every six months and I could not tow anything with it on the highway. I didn't do much better on the M915......I put a Farm tag on it but it still set me back $250.00 bucks and I could not take it out of the state. Farm insurance was not much better than the wrecker. Unless you can make them pay for themselves they are an expensive hobby. That is why I am sticking t deuces for now.

sterlun

I think acquisition costs and maintenance can get confused. Sometimes when you acquire an item, immediate maintenance is required to make it roadworthy. How many times have you bought a car from an individual and had to change the oil in it as soon as you got it home, or it needed tires. There comes a point with a new addition when things generally considered maintenance are in such need that they become 'repairs for drive-ability'.

When I bid, I figure my cost at purchase + recovery + fixing whatever to make it ready.

Having said that, my XM818 winning bid was $2210. Sweet. After taxes, GL fees, hauling, towing, parts, towing again, LOTS of repairs, insurance, title, etc., I'm now sitting at $5500 and still have a couple more small things to do to it. Hope I can sell it right. Decided I wanna buy a 915. :jumpin::cookoo::driver:

Maybe Wreckerman will sell me his since he's deucing it now. [thumbzup]

Overall I think this is a useful post and should be an eye-opener for the newbs including me. I'd like to see the wide-wallet retards quit bidding retail prices for GL stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks