• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The reason you tow your m1009 home not drive

Power Giant

Got my M1008 from Boyce Equipment in Ogden, UT. Drove it from there, just about to Canada, with zero problems. Probably about 800 miles. It's the ninth CUCV I've bought from there.

CycleJay

My condolences, on your troubles...

Bringing home your M1009.

I live in the Atlanta, Ga. area.
And I too could of helped you in some way perhaps,
had I known when & where you were coming thru town.

I just got an M1009 myself on Friday June 4th, 2010 (My birthday)
But I got lucky, it was located only 14 miles away.
So I drove it home, and the only trouble I had was it not restarting,
due to a dead battery, when I stopped to get gas on the way home with it.

I had the batteries replaced by the following weekend, and it has ran
great ever since.
I like it enough to plan on keeping it until further notice. lol.

So if you like, feel free to contact me anytime, if you want to compare notes, etc.

Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it.

Have a good night,

CJ

P.s. By the way, here is a photo of mine.

Attachments

camerodad

Safer to have them Hauled Home

I also learned the Hard Way: I bought a M1008 this past summer from Warner Robins, and Took my one ton down to tow it back with a 10,000 lb Tow Bar.
I made it up to Macon, and the Bushings in the Front leaf Springs were so Dry Rotted, they were falling out as I was pulling it. The truck was jerking me so bad, I could not keep it straight on the Road. I had to stop, and when I got out and looked at the Tires, the tread was seperating, 2 were ready to blow. I ended up finding a storage lot, leaving my truck, and then payoing $ 700.00 to have it picked up and hauled to my house. This M1008 only has 24,xxx miles on it, starts and runs good, but every rubber part on it being replaced. I'm lucky I didn't get in a wreck.
So my advice to anyone buying a used Military vehicle is have it Trailered home, unless you live real close to where you are buying it. I added about $1200.00 dollars to my truck with fuel, missed a day of work, and the cost of having hauled after my initial attempt failed, plus the added aggravation and embarassment.
Oh, and having to listen to my better half complain about the added costs for my new toy.

Camerodad

:driver:

rnd-motorsports

I trailer all mine just to save the drama and limit the exitment. They have had bent driveshafts anyway so would not have made the 350 mile trips and the last 1028 had no lights they had stripped all headlites front signals and taillights lenses .

salt6

So my advice to anyone buying a used Military vehicle is have it Trailered home, unless you live real close to where you are buying it. I added about $1200.00 dollars to my truck with fuel, missed a day of work, and the cost of having hauled after my initial attempt failed, plus the added aggravation and embarassment.
Oh, and having to listen to my better half complain about the added costs for my new toy.

Camerodad

:driver:

Ditto

davidkroberts

Ditto....

Im fond of just renting a Uhaul car hauler when i get close to wherever im picking up from with M1009's but usually I just flat tow them home. Never have had a problem they tow real nice.

mf5129

there is a great way to tow with using a tow dolly.no insurance hassles its fairly fast and all you need to do is remove the rear driveshaft.a lot cheaper in the long run.

there is a great way to tow with using a tow dolly.no insurance hassles its fairly fast and all you need to do is remove the rear driveshaft.a lot cheaper in the long run.
Took the words right outta my mouth.
I bought a nice used Steil (Sp?) for about $650 a few years back. No tag needed like a trailer, and less weight to tow home as well. So far, I have recovered 6 CUCVs, including one M1031 with a bunch of stuff in the back, and my wife's blazer once when she broke down. Make sure you carry a 6-point 7/16" box-end wrench for the rear driveshaft bolts. A 12-point will sometimes round off the heads before they break loose. Also, you'll make new friends who don't want to go to uhaul and rent one.
Only problem is it is about impossible to back up with a vehicle on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks