• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The rescuer becomes the rescuee (M35A2 issues)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we should all strive to meet at least 10% of the others on the site.
There are 61,899 members. I don't believe I know 6189.9 people total, let alone from this site. I'm certain I don't know that many that want to know me :) But if you're going to be in Topeka stop by and say Hi.

And we missed meeting by a couple of hours when you and Westy came to San Antonio to get the deuce. Seeing how that turned out I think it was better that I wasn't there.

Barrman

Chris is correct about face to face meeting someone. I make it a point to only use the real names of people I have met in person. They are also normally the only people I will even attempt humor with. That doesn't go over too well though and I have pretty much stopped trying to be funny.

However, Mark is correct as well. There are lots of people involved in this web site and this hobby. We happen to be members of the same MVPA chapter and because I haven't been to a meeting in over a year. I probably know less than half of the members now. With maybe a 15% recall of the right name to the right face.

We each have our own level of what is acceptable for a vehicle to leave our driveway. Most of us all have stories from years gone bye when we started out for some place far away with $2.00 cash, no phone, no tools, no food, no water and an engine running on 3 out of 8 cylinders. Knowing we would get there just fine because the engine would smoothout as it warmed up and got "cleaned out." Some did those kinds of trips in blissfull ignorance of what could happen while others did it out of need or knowledge that they could handle whatever situation developed. Only you know which catagory you fit into.

Which brings me to my attempt at throwing oil onto troubled waters in this thread I started. One of the things I took away from Army OCS was the phrase "make the plan fit the situation, not the situation fit the plan." I started this thread writting a story to the people I know on this web site. Figuring the people I didn't know might find it informative. That was my plan to the situation as I saw it.

Somebody I don't know read it and saw a completely different situation than I did. He pointed out a few things that to him were justified in mentioning. Especially if he had read my TX Rally thread about M715 fuel return line issues and my thread about coming home in the M715 from Temple earlier this month on a Paracord throttle. That is 3 issues in less than 3 months for me. I have had a bad Spring compared to nothing going wrong during thousands of miles in all my vehicles the last several years. His plan to correct any issues I might be having and help anybody reading this thread fit the situation as he saw it. Not knowing him, I chose to read it as corrective instead of insulting.

Thank you Mark, Chris and everybody else that jumped in to defend me since my online time is very limited these days compared to what is used to be.

I think I finally found the problem last night. Another test drive had more of what looked like an oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. Nothing coming out at any engine rpm sitting still though. Only when going down the road. I kept looking around the turbo but nothing. Wiping it all dry and driving showed it was still dry. The test drive last night let me trace the source of "oil" to around the primary filter can, housing and lines in and out. I now think and will verify this weekend that I have a fuel leak around the primary filter more than likely caused when I changed the filters after the TX Rally a few months ago.

If that is the case, PMCS caused the issue and PMCS failed to find the issue. It might turn out to be just one of those things.

Have a good weekend everybody.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tim and I didn't have to dig any holes in the ground, after his "meeting", yeah I'd say it worked out. I think Tim and I turned wrenches on the truck while westy was "talking".

You know, now that I think about it, maybe they planned on Tim and I fixing the deuce while they sat back and laughed at us...

maybe not.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We each have our own level of what is acceptable for a vehicle to leave our driveway. Most of us all have stories from years gone bye when we started out for some place far away with $2.00 cash, no phone, no tools, no food, no water and an engine running on 3 out of 8 cylinders. Knowing we would get there just fine because the engine would smoothout as it warmed up and got "cleaned out." Some did those kinds of trips in blissfull ignorance of what could happen while others did it out of need or knowledge that they could handle whatever situation developed. Only you know which catagory you fit into.
I used to fit into the category of "blissfully ignorant." Back in my younger days I made 3 seperate trips from FL to ID (or reverse) in $200 vehicles "no phone, no tools, no food, no water." One trip I had 3 flats thankfully the last one just as I pulled into town. Did it need new tires? Yes. Did I know that when I started the trip? Yes. And when I got done I had 3 new tires. With my military vehicles I generally do Level 1 and 2 PMCS and would still feel comfortable driving my deuce just about anywhere although physically I can no longer do that.

Anyone that's read any of my "Working On..." threads knows that I throw everything out there for anyone to see and criticize. I certainly don't know as much about working on these vehicles as a lot of people do but then I don't mind asking for advice (or help) either. But I would be offended if when asking for advice someone said that I just hadn't done enough in advance of the problem. Not helpful. And yes it is difficult to gauge someone's meaning through the computer screen so if I offended anyone I certainly apologize for that. I tend to be touchy when it comes to friends although Tim is more than capable of speaking for himself. One of my many faults is generally saying exactly what I think of a situation.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I thought you only posted about the paracord fix on "the zone". I didn't see it here, but will admit, I don't read much of the cucv stuff.

rustystud

As I said in my original post. I was more angry at my son for his lack of attention to his broken stuff then I was at anyone in particular. Barrmans story was just the "catalyst" that sent me off. I have already apologized to Barrman though to be fair "Barrman you know better ! ;) " . As for you mkcoen , now that I know your a "hot head" I'll make sure to tweek your nose more often ! LOL :)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. As for you mkcoen , now that I know your a "hot head" I'll make sure to tweek your nose more often ! LOL :)
Gee that's a lot friendlier comment than the PM you sent me. Guess it's braver to hide in the shadows. Oh, let me add the LOL and :) so, like you, everyone knows I'm joking.

rustystud

Gee that's a lot friendlier comment than the PM you sent me. Guess it's braver to hide in the shadows. Oh, let me add the LOL and :) so, like you, everyone knows I'm joking.
I replied to you personally as I don't feel the open forum is the proper place to air disagreements.

Last edited:

teletech

hey blinker fluid works;

True story, my brother had a 99 GMC diesel one of the front blinker housings was on upside down, so the drain hole was at the top, to it would remain about 3/4 filled with water. anyways we flipped the housing one day and the blinker stopped working, tried a little bit of everything, so we flipped it again, it rained the next day filling the housing, and the blinker started working again, so we left it
I'd be worried if you aren't using rust-stop in your blinker fluid:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=de5748ea94c55fb55777d99a9e05f0a6&oe=5664463F

have fun,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks