• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "Road Oiler" gets overdrive (700R4 Swap)

Iceman3005

I have done several of the swaps, one had an NP205 installed to the 700r4, customer was very happy! As for tire spin, with the low stall convertor and lower first gear, mine will do a burnout if I hold brakes. Glad to see someone else has had great success with this swap. For others that want to do it, I almost have the tv bracket done, need to test fit. If it fits will start to mass produce. Great right up!

Iceman3005

As Speddmon mentioned he used some parts from bowtieoverdrive, for those of you that doubt the strength of the 700r4 they can build one that will handle over 1000 hp. they have a video on there website of a 1/2 ton chevy pullin a wheely and running 9 sec. quarter mile. for over a year with out any failures. Another company claims to have a 700r4 that can handle over 1400 hp, PATC is the name. For a around $200-300 in parts these trans can handle 350 hp easliy.

PETE BALLARD

All very interesting information, kudos to all who contributed to this thread - i am one who will be also following this path so thanks for sharing, i am also interested in obtaining a tv bracket. If anyone has one they want to sell please pm me. Again thanks to all who contributed - great info!!!!!

jets1959

I have done several of the swaps, one had an NP205 installed to the 700r4, customer was very happy! As for tire spin, with the low stall convertor and lower first gear, mine will do a burnout if I hold brakes. Glad to see someone else has had great success with this swap. For others that want to do it, I almost have the tv bracket done, need to test fit. If it fits will start to mass produce. Great right up!
Was this swap in an M1031 contact maintenance truck? If so what about the pto driven generator drive shaft, does it need to be shortened. I have the tv cable bracket and short cable, bracket to ip. The long cable I can get along with the trans. What else will I need. Thanks, Dwayne.

wayne pick

Hea Dwayne, The 700R4 swap in an M1031 is a bit more complicated as you will need to change the transmission output shaft, transfer case input shaft, and adapter. Search Advance Adapters for these parts, $$$. A gear vendors unit might be your best choice as you keep your drive train as is. My "new" Monster trans had the standard lenth 4X4 output shaft when I got it. I was to say the least, pissed. Instead of sending it back to Monster, I got a 27 spline NP208, a 700R4 to NP 208 adapter and called it a day. If you want to retain the 32 spline 205, the swap can be pricy. Finding a 27 spline 205 might be the way to go. 27 spline 208s can be had for $200.00 or less.

jets1959

Hea Dwayne, The 700R4 swap in an M1031 is a bit more complicated as you will need to change the transmission output shaft, transfer case input shaft, and adapter. Search Advance Adapters for these parts, $$$. A gear vendors unit might be your best choice as you keep your drive train as is. My "new" Monster trans had the standard lenth 4X4 output shaft when I got it. I was to say the least, pissed. Instead of sending it back to Monster, I got a 27 spline NP208, a 700R4 to NP 208 adapter and called it a day. If you want to retain the 32 spline 205, the swap can be pricy. Finding a 27 spline 205 might be the way to go. 27 spline 208s can be had for $200.00 or less.
Thanks for all the useful info. I have a line on a 700R4 out of a mid 1980 suburban with the 6.2 desiel four wheel drive. I was hoping it would all work out. What would be needed for the torque converter lock out. I am lost on this part. Thanks again.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be needed for the torque converter lock out. I am lost on this part. Thanks again.
Have you bothered to read this thread??

I know I posted about the lock-up no less the two times and provided links and the whole nine yards.

Iceman3005

it is real easy and cheap to install a np205 on a 700r4, you will need to find an np205 from a turbo 350 with the adapter and sleeve. then you will need a spacer between the trans and transfer case adapter, here is the link http://www.areds.com/ call them up and tell them you need the 2 inch spacer for the turbo 350/700r4. 1-816-483-7337. Then you will need to cut off about 1 and 1/2 inches of the output shaft (I used an angle grinder, shaft is to hard to cut with saw blade). then everything should bolt up. The front drive shaft will have to be lengthened and the rear drive shaft will have to but shortened plus the slip yoke will have to be converted to a pinion. Your 4x4 shifter will have modified, I cut it near the base of the shifter near the bolt hole, and had a piece welded on going forward about 4 inches, then welded the cut of shifter on top of the piece going forward. Here is a link to the build I did. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ersion-from-turbo-400-NP208-too-a-700r4-NP205

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete, I did post some info about drivability and a little about mpg up in the thread somewhere. But for the information, it drives GREAT. MPG is not as good as I had hoped, but it is better than it was. It would be better if I slowed down, but the only times I've run the truck was to work and back a few times. But she will run 70 all day long.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it has been a long time since this thread has ben used, but I don't drive the truck a whole lot. Over the weekend I took the 1028/1031 to the Findlay Armed Forced Day show and back. Firstly, if you've never been there you need to go, it is a BLAST!!!

Anyway, this summer I plan on taking to SECM box off the back of the truck and converting it back into a 1028. I figure with the way the truck rides, I'm hauling about an extra 1500# to 2000# of welder/generator and excess box weight vs. a normal truck bed. This in mind, with the overdrive and doing around 70 MPH most of the way to the show, then to work and back home I averaged about 12.5 MPG for the entire 412 mile round trip. Not too bad considering as I said, all the extra unneeded weight being taken everywhere the truck goes.

I'll probably post a new thread when the conversion back to a 1028 begins.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will find you a good bed.
I need to get with John Moore sometime this week. He said he might have a line on an entire truck with a nice bed cheap! Or I/we still need to find something.

With my 1028/700r4 combo as a daily driver, I got about 17mpg.
I would expect mine to get a lot better as well once I remove the 1 ton of excess weight I have to haul around every time I move the truck. As I remove stuff, I'm going to be going over the truck scales at the interstate exit to see just how much that box and welder/generator weighs.

Daggummit. I would have liked to have that bed.
Going to the GA Rally?
I plan on going to the rally this year. I would only require scrap price for the box if you really want it. I'm keeping the welder/generator but the box has got to go!!

I bet we can get it there. Didn't you just send one of those beds north 2 yrs ago????!!!!!
I'm sure we could find a way to get it there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks