• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Saga Continues... M1008 front end reassembly

a175

As some of you might recall, around September(ish) of last year my M1008 flipped me the bird. I suppose it was a mutual thing, as I failed at PMCS'ing the seals/fluids/etc. in relation to the front axle/steering system.

Well, the "mechanic" STILL has my truck. I went by yesterday for a little "WTF??!!!" session. He's stuck at trying to put the hubs and brake systems back together. I took a gander, tried some things myself, and even referenced the pictures I took during my disassembly last year. We are both dumbfounded.

Has anyone here run into problems when attempting to reinstal the caliper? We can't seem to make it fit to the rotor and bracket correctly. The problem seems to be in the alignment, as we can't find a way to ket the tap key and spring in there afterwords.

Where is my brain jacked up here?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been ADVISED that now that I am a MOD, I can NO LONGER give cucv fix it advise :roll: :whistle:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did this yesterday, and I'm really not sure what anyone would be hung up on. All I can think of is to make sure you have the spring and key aligned correctly. The spring goes on top of the key and slides in from the outside. Consult the -20 TM for pictures.

a175

You know, my basic thought process tells me that if it was together at one time, and came off, it should go back on without problems. But even when I fiddled with it, something seems like it was in the way. I'm trying to call the guy now, but "the wireless customer is unavailable".

998Junkie

Well, the "mechanic" STILL has my truck. I went by yesterday for a little "WTF??!!!" session. He's stuck at trying to put the hubs and brake systems back together. I took a gander, tried some things myself, and even referenced the pictures I took during my disassembly last year. We are both dumbfounded.

Has anyone here run into problems when attempting to reinstal the caliper? We can't seem to make it fit to the rotor and bracket correctly. The problem seems to be in the alignment, as we can't find a way to ket the tap key and spring in there afterwords.

Where is my brain jacked up here?
I just replaced the front U-joints this weekend. It is a bit frustrating I had to work the caliper up as far as I could get it into the top lip. Laying on the ground using my knee to help my hand stay in position (I'm getting old) I then had enough room to get the key and spring to slide it a bit and then tapped it with my hammer lightly and all is good now.

If you have the caliper cylinder compressed per the manual and you have slid the caliper up against the inside shoe leaving a large gap on the outside shoe...I can't think of anything that should keep it from working, once you have it in position.

a175

The guy came by my office, and I printed out the section of the -20TM that refers to the front brakes. Here's the odd thing:
The pictures I took, and the drawings in the TM indicate a different position in regards to the caliper to what he had as of yesterday. He was in agreement with this. So, it looks like he's going to break it back down and see if that makes a difference (I believe it will). I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this.

a175

Without a doubt, it has crossed my mind. However, I stuck myself with ignorance. I paid the guy cash... up front... with no receipt when he towed it November 6th 2011 :cookoo:. I was stupid, and I'm very aware of that (I believe that information was posted on a previous thread).
Now it is nosed-in to the back of his shop with no front wheels, brakes, or steering. If I took a picture of the way it looks right now, and posted it here, I would probably be perma-banned for retardation. That, and you guys would probably torch his place. I don't want either one of those right now.
However, trust me on this one thing- as soon as this job is finished, I won't go back. He already screwed up my mom's car (it was while my truck was already at his shop, but before the timeline got ridiculous).

Last edited:

86m1028

Is there a possibility he has swapped some of the parts around, left to right ?

I had my hubs off yesterday & just dont see how you couldnt put them back together.

Is the inner bearing seated correctly on the spindle ?

Good luck

EDIT You are aware of the allen head bolt that holds the wedge ?

Last edited:

a175

If by wedge you're referring to the tap key thingy, then yeah. I remember taking it off when I disassembled it. As for the bearing/spindle mate-up, it's hard to say as when I got there the new locking hubs were already installed and he made it a point to tell me that he had just finished packing everything full of grease a day prior to me going there. With regards to something getting swapped out from left to right, that had definitely been one of my concerns. But, he said (and I verified with my eyes) that most of the major parts were labelled "L" or "R" (which I thought odd, because I've seen otherwise on some other MV's.
I haven't yet had an opportunity to talk to him today. I'll post on here with a follow-up as soon as I do.

a175

So his thinking is that the parts themselves are on the correct side (because of labelling), but are oriented incorrectly. Sort of a "clocking" issue of you will.
He will resume operations tomorrow. :popcorn:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Take a picture for use and post it up so we can see if you need to change the poition of the caliper bracket. I once had a not so smart mech try to put the calipers back on in the 11 o'clock poition, instead of the 4 o'clock poition.

a175

I'm still at the office, and my computer pooped the bed. I MIGHT be able to do it through my phone this evening, but no promises.
HOWEVER-
That all might be unecessary, as what you just described sounds exactly like how it looked aua

a175

Okie dokey...
The dude verified the issue as being incorrect placement of the calipers. Said he's going to try to get it back to me by Friday morning (so it can hopefully survive the round trip to/from the Rally in Ponchatoula). I'm hopeful, but then again I've heard roughly the same "timeline of return" since last year. We'll see.

a175

Mmm. Was not a position "clock" issue. They were freaking upside-down. Nice.
Needs a new bearing race for driver side lower. That will come in Wednesday.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks