• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Series-Parallel Circuit: GOSPEL!

M925

Fellow SS:

After much novice thought and reflection on the nature of the four battery system in the M923, this afternoon I had an revelation!!! The LORD came to me in an vision!

I understood fully the revelation revealed to me from the heavens. This new understanding was the reason for the four battery configuration.

1. If batteries are wired in series they double the volts.

2. If they are wired in parallel it doubles the amps.

3. The four battery system is both wired in series and parallel.

Yes, I know to most people this is common knowledge, just posting for those like me that are new to all this secret knowledge. Therefore, the 24v starter, should start with ~1,600 amps, with batteries wired in series or series parallel.

Has anyone tried a 24v battery? I was on the Exide website and saw one......

(Plus using the search function, helped after I came to this new way of life)

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I start these motors off a pair of 12v car jump paks in series all the time. Im not sure how well it would work in cold weather though. The 6cta starts very easily. Some of them want to see a full 24v for their grid heaters though or they wont start.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I go onto the negative battery lead with one pak negative take the positive from that pak connect to the negative on the other pak and then the positive from the second pak onto the trucks positive wire.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets say you are using a simple 6 amp 12v battery charger(s). Do you have to disconnect all the batteries before charging? Or can you simply leave everything connected and hook the chargers up to individual batteries?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to disconnect anything, just charge individually for best results.

M925

Therefore, the 24v starter, should start with ~1,600 amps, with batteries wired in series or series parallel.

QUOTE]

That is a wrong statement.
Series ONLY

Parallel will only give you 12v.
You didn't notice the series parallel thing did you? A series parallel circuit is also known as a combination circuit.

I found TWO NEW 1,700 CA batteries! WOOOOOO for $100 each! YES!!I had to take the boards out of the box lay a rubber mat and grind off the previous anchors, but they are in and work GOOD!

Last edited:

M931cook

If you have four 12volt batteries. Two wired in a series that are wired to the next two batteries in parallel which are also wired in a series, Thus they are wired in series and in series parallel. Called a combination circuit.

M925

I was wrong. I read it twice and still missed the "combination" series-parallel.
"Therefore, the 24v starter, should start with ~1,600 amps, with batteries wired in series or series parallel."

Does this help you out?

It's the part that is red in big letters.....and is underlined.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

There are things you can do to burn wires, BIG time, and you can even explode batteries, all things I have done sometime in the past 50 years. I have never burned out a starter motor and that is what you will do if you put 4 12v batteries in a series. You will also burn out everything else, computer, lights, etc. I take that back about never burning out a starter, I helped a friend smoke a 6v starter with 12v. A few of you out there might remember 6v cars.

A 12v battery is really six 2v batteries in a series , that is why you have 6 filler caps on a standard 12v battery.

Quick gospel lesson: Connecting 2 similar batteries in series doubles the voltage; connecting 2 similar batteries in parallel doubles the capacity.

Lets say you are using a simple 6 amp 12v battery charger(s). Do you have to disconnect all the batteries before charging? Or can you simply leave everything connected and hook the chargers up to individual batteries?
If you disconnect everything on the positive post of the battery you want to charge, you can charge a single battery. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS TO ALL 4 OR THEY WILL BE UNBALANCED. I have a setup of 6 wires with alligator clips that I use when I want to do it in a hurry (see picture below). Disconnect everything, and connect all 4 in parallel (all negative posts together and all positive posts together) then put a standard 6 amp 12v charger on it.

EDIT: There is an easier way if you want to charge all batteries with a single 12v charger. There are 2 short connectors that connect the negative of one battery to the positive of another. Disconnect one end of each and you have isolated all the batteries. Now you can go from battery to battery charging them one at a time.

If you look at the first picture of my M923 battery box, you will notice 2 sets of cables that leave the box, one set in the middle of the pack and one close to the camera. I don't have the truck to look at, but I believe the set going down in the middle goes to the engine and the other goes to the slave connector.

Connecting two battery chargers in a series if BAD because you cannot know how the output transformers are connected to ground. You might short them out.

I recently acquired a 24v battery and charger from a trashed electric lawn mower. I am anxious to see if that tiny battery can turn the engine over (my truck is in Texas and I’m in Colorado). I already know the charger will work. You might check at a hardware store and see if you can buy just the 24v charger.
Batteries.jpgCharging Cables.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this thread is "Gospel", should I move it to the Chaplain's forum?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks