• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Southeast Military Vehicle Rally needs a new leader. Read within.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If there is not a new rally boss within one week, we will be outside our window of opportunity with one of the facilities below, so interested persons need to apply now.

So, when I started the Ga. Rally, it wasn't that I wanted to be a rally leader, I just wanted to go to an event the likes of which no one was putting on.

That was 2006.

I could go on a long spiel about this but that seems very time consuming. Both Mac and I are too burned out / health issued to keep doing this. I've done it several years beyond being burned out, because I just didn't have a choice. But now I am out.

Neither of us want the rally to just fold up but neither of us can keep doing it, so either someone steps up or we fold it and say "that was awesome".

The ideal candidate would be:

• Young enough that they still have some fire in them
  • The time during the year and at the event to be able to run it.
  • A personality that thrives on listening to people complain
  • A personality that can handle all personalities professionally and competently
  • A person who understand PR and image

There's probably a bunch of other skills necessary as well.

Other info:
Dates and locations

The new rally boss will have a choice: Windrock or Durhamtown. I'll let Mac describe what he has brokered with each location but the basics are:

Windrock: Same as 2023/2022, $1K per night for field, $200 for trash service/porta potty.

Durhamtown: Similar

Legality:
Per the rally attorney, I will be sunsetting the LLC that put on the rally and the new rally boss will have to decide if they want to expose themselves to all that liability if something goes wrong. You can just put the thing on, that's what we did from 2006 to about 2015. Or for a couple hundred bucks, you can create an LLC which "owns" the event and puts it on.

I also require the event to have enough of a different name to avoid any kind of confusion.

Sponsors:
We currently have a couple of sponsors and I will manage the introductions to the new boss. We will also assist in introductions to the venue POC.

Assistance:
Mac and I will happily provide advice, answers, information, but that's it.

Equipment:
The rally has handwashing stations, tents, tables, chairs, P.A. system, etc.

Alright folks. Who is doing this?

DeMilitarized

I would like to say thank you for all of your work over the years putting on the rally. Growing up looking forward to this event every year since I was probably 10. As a yearly participant of the rally for over 10 years I know myself and others will likely still have a get together at one of these locations if someone does not step up to officially take the torch; HOWEVER, I would be very sad to see the event go and lose the great community we have at the events. I hope to see someone that is able to take this great responsibility under such short notice.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would like to say thank you for all of your work over the years putting on the rally. Growing up looking forward to this event every year since I was probably 10. As a yearly participant of the rally for over 10 years I know myself and others will likely still have a get together at one of these locations if someone does not step up to officially take the torch; HOWEVER, I would be very sad to see the event go and lose the great community we have at the events. I hope to see someone that is
Thanks for all the kind words. Like I said, I just put on the event I wanted to go to. No classes, no trophies, etc. Go offroading, no loud music, goof off, etc.

I started hating car shows because you're out there with your buddy talking to the guy with the Superbird about his car and some moron thinks people are there to hear 1950s doo wop at Motorhead volume.

able to take this great responsibility under such short notice.

Yeah, it's a long story and I apologize but the good news is all someone needs to do is say "yeah, I'll do this" and Mac and I will get it moving. It isn't like someone will have to take it on and immediately take a week off work.

It's a "which location do you prefer?" and then we'll get our ducks in a row with the venue and then start giving the new guy some training.

Here's the thing: Throughout the year, it doesn't take much time. It's emails, occasional phone call, text, whatever. It's emailing the venue to see what dates are available and what costs are, etc. It's emailing or reaching out to potential sponsors. It's emailing the insurance company (I can provide a referral to the company we use) to get all the particulars in place. It's having a relationship with an attorney so that rally waivers can be amended, etc.

But that stuff is hard when you're burned out.

Gets a little busier a week or two before event. You really need to get there first or pretty early so you can be there if something goes sideways. It limits how much time you can socialize or trail ride.

For the right person, it's easy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I am not volunteering to take over the rally I can offer advice on certain things about the rally. I ran it twice under Clint's watchful eye but the was after the hard work was done and the rally at Windrock has morphed somewhat.

If someone wants to do it contact me for advice if they want any. It sounds like Swiss really wants to do it. rofl

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I am not volunteering to take over the rally I can offer advice on certain things about the rally. I ran it twice under Clint's watchful eye but the was after the hard work was done and the rally at Windrock has morphed somewhat.

If someone wants to do it contact me for advice if they want any. It sounds like Swiss really wants to do it. rofl
Guy's lets hear it for @swbradley1 for taking over for the rally at Windrock !!! I know you will do a great job and we all thank you sooooooooo much for not being scared and stepping up to the plate in our time of need ! You've got our full support and we've got plenty of time to raise the money thats 50 bucks a head for 80 people 25 bucks for 160 folks easy peasy ! You bring the WOODFORD RESEVE and i will bring the smokes ! And tell your wife were going to do tequila shots under that same tent rain or shine !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I appreciate the enthusiasm Chucky, but I didn't say I wanted to volunteer. I said I would offer advice.

Holly also has planned events (no, she wont volunteer either) and she has an idea that I will share with person that steps up.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I appreciate the enthusiasm Chucky, but I didn't say I wanted to volunteer. I said I would offer advice.

Holly also has planned events (no, she wont volunteer either) and she has an idea that I will share with person that steps up.
Thats the spirit i knew you would come thru for us and guild the ship thru the fog ! We just cant tell you how happy we are that you agreed to HELP all the folks to keep the rally going and we couldnt have done it without you ! Im so proud of you and im a better man for having met you and Holly i feel like yall are family now so you just let us troops know how we can help ya !

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody really has to step up, we cannot let this die because two people can't do it anymore.

I am too far away and too chaotic for it. But I was planning to try again to come this year, as do others, so we need a new team.

Clinto, to make things easier, can the new person/team take over the LLC or do they have to take it over?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody really has to step up, we cannot let this die because two people can't do it anymore.

I am too far away and too chaotic for it. But I was planning to try again to come this year, as do others, so we need a new team.

Clinto, to make things easier, can the new person/team take over the LLC or do they have to take it over?
Oh dont worry @swbradley1 said he would love to do it and we are so thankful for his un-selfish act ! We will try and help him all the way ! And dont worry hes also going to be the GRAND POTENTATE/WIZZARD of the rallys non denominational sunday morning service ! His robe i ordered just came in ! images.jpg

biscuitwhistler37

What are the odds of doing the job remotely? I have organized events, done fundraising, car shows.... You name it, if it's marketing or PR related, I've dealt with it. I would hate to see something so iconic die simply because no one has the time or energy to put forward, problem is I'm roughly 2k miles north of y'all. Can it be done? If not is there something I CAN do to help?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No. My attorney said no, I pay attorneys for their legal advice.

What are the odds of doing the job remotely? I have organized events, done fundraising, car shows.... You name it, if it's marketing or PR related, I've dealt with it. I would hate to see something so iconic die simply because no one has the time or energy to put forward, problem is I'm roughly 2k miles north of y'all. Can it be done? If not is there something I CAN do to help?

I mean, I do it remotely because the bulk happens in my office at home. So sure, you could call/email the venue, deal with all the attendees, etc., but you've got to be at the rally to be there if something goes sideways.

The rally is a lot simpler without the MKT in terms of organization and labor but it still takes a few people on the ground during the event.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably bad or too complicated idea, but should we establish an LLC as "steelsoldiers" for such events so we just have to switch ?

I am from the Czech Republic, Europe, so I am really too far away (between 6 - 9 time zones. However, I am a project manager and also organize conferences and events, so any help I can give, just let me know.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I performed the function of rally commander I interviewed for the job with Clint at the National MVPA show in Louisville a few years. I gave him my thoughts on how to run it during the rally and he just did the leg work up to it.

I got to Durhamtown a couple days before the "official" start of the rally (Ron-73M819 always beat me) to introduce myself to the staff and Mike (DT owner). The legwork I did ahead of time was figure out how I wanted to run it all. My solution was an Organizational chart with military type ranks and broke sections of camp operations into silos/divisions. I solicited for volunteers for each of the commanders of each silo/div and we worked down to get troops to help in each one.

We had one for food, for crane/loadout operations and swap meet. Those are the ones I remember. I had charts printed up with names/ranks and passed them out as needed so everyone was on the same page. I think it worked well and Clint did not have to worry (as much) about the rally operation itself.

The downside of that (which is why Clint needed the break) is the commander doesn't usually get to run the trails or go on convoys. We had a few complaints and most of them had to do with Durhamtown Management being Durhamtown Management. They just plain suck to work with but not all of them. I have never been to a rally at DT where they did not screw up registration and billing.

My thoughts on continuing the rally.

1. Have it at Windrock - hands down so far above DT in customer service and facilities and although we rented a SxS we didn't see anything except the camp and rally area due to weather I have heard nothing but good about the trails.

2. For this year pick a date and make it a gathering - make anything official and immediately you have a liability food chain. If a bunch of people meet each other someplace it is no different than all of us driving somewhere for lunch. I'm sure there is a way for lawyers to screw that up to though.

3. Someone could rent one of the larger cottages on the road in and make that the meeting point, like the one Squirt had in 2023. Not as much room as having an entire camping area but enough to get going.

4. T-shirts can be designed and handed over to a website to process orders and deliveries. Clint having to hawk shirts to cover the money he had to outlay every year is a horrible way to fund some that he wanted to be fun. Put the responsibility back on the people that show up.

5. As for forming an LLC named SteelSoldiers I think Chris may (will) have a problem with that. I don't believe Steelsoldiers sponsors or backs any one rally but I don't know that for sure.

I hope everyone continues to meet, I also vote for Windrock (and not, not because it is closer than DT) but I would try to make either or even a new site (like Swiss' place).

steve

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I performed the function of rally commander I interviewed for the job with Clint at the National MVPA show in Louisville a few years. I gave him my thoughts on how to run it during the rally and he just did the leg work up to it.

I got to Durhamtown a couple days before the "official" start of the rally (Ron-73M819 always beat me) to introduce myself to the staff and Mike (DT owner). The legwork I did ahead of time was figure out how I wanted to run it all. My solution was an Organizational chart with military type ranks and broke sections of camp operations into silos/divisions. I solicited for volunteers for each of the commanders of each silo/div and we worked down to get troops to help in each one.

We had one for food, for crane/loadout operations and swap meet. Those are the ones I remember. I had charts printed up with names/ranks and passed them out as needed so everyone was on the same page. I think it worked well and Clint did not have to worry (as much) about the rally operation itself.
All of this worked well.

The downside of that (which is why Clint needed the break) is the commander doesn't usually get to run the trails or go on convoys. We had a few complaints and most of them had to do with Durhamtown Management being Durhamtown Management. They just plain suck to work with but not all of them. I have never been to a rally at DT where they did not screw up registration and billing.
All true.

1. Have it at Windrock - hands down so far above DT in customer service and facilities and although we rented a SxS we didn't see anything except the camp and rally area due to weather I have heard nothing but good about the trails.
My preference is Windrock, but it'll be up to the new person. WR is a far superior facility.

2. For this year pick a date and make it a gathering - make anything official and immediately you have a liability food chain. If a bunch of people meet each other someplace it is no different than all of us driving somewhere for lunch. I'm sure there is a way for lawyers to screw that up to though.
Two things:

A.
Once one person posts one thing on social media, legally speaking, they're an organizer. Maybe they're not legally liable, but they'll have to hire a lawyer and spend $30K or more to prove they aren't.

Anyone who thinks a lack of a leader will somehow protect the group or individual persons is wrong.

B.
Lawyers don't screw things up. They are a market reaction to consumer desire. A consumer wishes to pursue legal actions against a real or perceived wrong and an attorney will help them. As long as we have a society with humans, people will do anything that makes money and lawyers are no different.

4. T-shirts can be designed and handed over to a website to process orders and deliveries. Clint having to hawk shirts to cover the money he had to outlay every year is a horrible way to fund some that he wanted to be fun. Put the responsibility back on the people that show up.
Our current t-shirt vendor does all the design work. Call or email them, they'll design a shirt and have it ready. But selling em is boring and you have to stay at the tent the entire time.

5. As for forming an LLC named SteelSoldiers I think Chris may (will) have a problem with that. I don't believe Steelsoldiers sponsors or backs any one rally but I don't know that for sure.
Never backed this one.

but should we establish an LLC as "steelsoldiers" for such events so we just have to switch ?
Not how companies work. An LLC (or any incorporation) is a legal document, creating a legal entity which is owned by a person or persons or legal entity which then has the responsibility.

If you set up an LLC to assume the liability of the event, it would be owned by (hypothetically) person A & B. Person A leaves the hobby the next year, so the attorney would have to remove them from the LLC. No one is going to modify a legal agreement every year for different owners or whatever.

Steel Soldiers won't have anything to do with the rally, I asked for support years ago and got blown off.

Military176

All of this worked well.

All true.

My preference is Windrock, but it'll be up to the new person. WR is a far superior facility.

Two things:

A.
Once one person posts one thing on social media, legally speaking, they're an organizer. Maybe they're not legally liable, but they'll have to hire a lawyer and spend $30K or more to prove they aren't.

Anyone who thinks a lack of a leader will somehow protect the group or individual persons is wrong.

B.
Lawyers don't screw things up. They are a market reaction to consumer desire. A consumer wishes to pursue legal actions against a real or perceived wrong and an attorney will help them. As long as we have a society with humans, people will do anything that makes money and lawyers are no different.

Our current t-shirt vendor does all the design work. Call or email them, they'll design a shirt and have it ready. But selling em is boring and you have to stay at the tent the entire time.

Never backed this one.

Not how companies work. An LLC (or any incorporation) is a legal document, creating a legal entity which is owned by a person or persons or legal entity which then has the responsibility.

If you set up an LLC to assume the liability of the event, it would be owned by (hypothetically) person A & B. Person A leaves the hobby the next year, so the attorney would have to remove them from the LLC. No one is going to modify a legal agreement every year for different owners or whatever.

Steel Soldiers won't have anything to do with the rally, I asked for support years ago and got blown off.
Did you ever use liability insurance for the event?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks