• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Stig's 1968 M35A2

The Stig

Finally was able to get my foot in the door of the MV hobby. Thanks to Clintogf and Clinto.

I had come across the ad for the truck on Craigslist and loved everything about it. It had almost every option I had to have.
That spured me on to setup an account on Steel Soldiers to research things before just jumping in over my head.
Time ticks by, I had been researching and found the truck on here listed for sale with more pictures and details.
By this time seeing all the work that had been done and the options list that I liked, I was really interested.
By that time I had seen that the rally was coming up and that maybe they would have it at the show and I could look at it up close.

I show up the only day I was able to attend the rally and was able to talk to Dawn about the truck but it wasnt at the rally.
I didnt have spare time to stop by and look at it after the show due to the length of my drive and having been up going on 20+ hours.
I setup at time to come back to test drive the truck and talk about it some more with Clinto to get a feel for maintenance/basic troubles.
None of the information was scaring me off so I knew this was my start in the hobby.

After some selling of vehicles and donation of one to a charity I had the space and money to get things done. I contacted Dawn and got the ball rolling. I was finally able to pick it up and make the drive home on 11/15/15. I was thrilled to be starting out on a new automotive adventure.
It was like the time I bought my first car at 16, it wasnt much but it was what I wanted and it was mine. Loved that feeling again.
So after the exchange of paperwork, looking things over making sure we were set to go my dad and I hopped in the cab and took off.

We get out on the road I need to get fuel. This is the first diesel I have owned so I have to keep an eye out for diesel stations and ones that have enough space for such a truck. Ummm this thing is huge. It seemed like it doubled in size from the test drive to now.
Riding in traffic on the highway was nerve racking. People jumping in front of me thinking I can stop no problem started to bother me. This caused me to drive even slower that it already was going. Then the road construction, stop and go traffic, getting use to the fact I'm driving a vehicle of the 60's. Man this wasnt such a good idea...

By the time we got to about mile 50 of the 90+ mile trip all that was gone. I had already stopped for fuel no problem.
The more I drove it the more comfortable I become in getting it around corners and in and out of places. Traffic didnt bother me once I got the hang ofanticipating other drivers. The truck was running like a top, I kept a close eye on all the gauges my dad is checking everything out playing with the various things in the truck. All the worries and concerns had faded away and I was really enjoying the ride. Bouncy as it was.

I dropped off my dad and thanked him and mom taking me to do the pick up on the truck then set off for home. Never really thought about how long the drive would be at 45 mph. I got home and placed the truck in its new parking spot. Whew what a day. I was grinning ear to ear. Still am. I had ides of what I wanted to do with the truck before I got it. Now I have tons more of ideas and can't seem to stop coming up with things. I am just in awe of the truck. Dawn and Clint did a fantastic job of putting it right. I had been home for a while and the phone rang. Clint called to check in with me to see how everything went. Had I had any issues with the truck at all. Just wanted to check in and let me know if I had any questions or anything just to let him know. Never got that with any other vehicle purchase I have made. All in all it had to be the best automotive purchase second only to my very first car ever. Nice to have included my Dad in both purchases as well.

So on with the pictures...

My first purchase with Dad back in 1985
69mustang.jpg

And this past Sunday.
1968 M35A2 11-15-15.jpg

The ride home.
1968 M35A2 11-15-15a.jpg

3/4 of the way there dropping off the parents feeling much better!
1968 M35A2 11-15-15b.jpg

Dad decided it was time he took it for a drive.
1968 M35A2 11-15-15c.jpg

Home and the view going out of my basement shop space.
1968 M35A2 11-15-15d.jpg

Tucked away at its new home.
1968 M35A2 11-15-15e.jpg

So it begins. All that is on my mind at this point is cleaning things up and starting the process of making it all I want.
Along with that is prepping for next year's rally. On a side note I have taken it out more since bringing it home, and I'm much more confident with it. Not really worried about taking it places now I just need to be a little more alert as to where I take it while I gain more experience.

I look forward to sharing with everyone and contributing as much back to the community as I possibly can.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the hobby and (you already found some) friendships. Nice truck, nice atitude, you will surely enjoy it, and the events to come.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks