• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the sub drive shaft

Warren Lovell

So how many of you are running with the third axle disconnected? And does it make that much of a difference in turning? Better fuel economy? What else are the advantages?

The reason I'm asking is this seems to be a mod for city driving. Thats where my deuce will most likely spend it's time.

Warren

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done the equal of this many times. It's a good move especially for turning and tire wear but better have that front drive available. Wet pavement and slight inclines will stop the truck. Man, can
t remember who but there's a mamber here with a water purification deuce that has a single lockout on the rear to accompish the same thing. Its a decent alternative!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was Rattlehead but I haven't seen him posting in a bit. Anyone got Rattleheads email?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive been toying with the idea of putting an air bag spring on the front rear axle that you can air up real quick, putting a majority of the weight on the front rear axle which would basically be like have a short wheel base when needed for tight turns. I think it would be cool having an additional front axle engaging switch that would send a bunch of air to the spring quickly then air out quickly when not needed. I eventually plan on doing this mod when I get some time.

Opie

I've pulled the sub-axle, and it does seem to have livened the truck up and made it easier to handle. Can't comment on mileage as I keep losing my data to work out the mileage.

Dumb question. With the wonderfully articulated axles, how does one RE-INSTALL the aforesaid item? I can only presume that after a couple of miles that the bolt holes no longer line up properly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie, the fact that the flanges don't line up is just a small indication that the axles turn at different rates (different tire wear, tire pressure, turning, tire manufacturer etc), causing drag.
Now if you had hydraulic outriggers, the jacking up part would be trivial. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks