• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Swede need engine oil advice!

The Swede

Hi every one, Erik from Sweden here.
I have a bit of a problem, I need to change my enegine oil in my M35A2 With LDT-465-1C engine but here in Sweden we have abandend the use of mineral oils and only run fully syntetic oils. So I will have to order it , I work at a workshop so I have plenty to choose from.

My question is:
What requirements do the original military oil have or shall i say what standards does it meet?
What standards does the oil have to meet?

Or even better, can you rekomend some oils you use and give me some prudukt numbers so i can cross reference them with what I have got here in Sweden.

Preferably from : Castrol , MPM or Shell

Apologies for my bad spelling.

Thanks in advance!
Kind Regards Erik in Sweden

3rdmdqm

Shell ROTELLA T Multigrade SAE 15W-40 with Advanced Soot Control is Shell’s highest quality mixed-fleet heavy-duty engine oil. It meets the warranty and service requirements of virtually all diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers that recommend a multigrade oil. Recommended especially for all on-highway service applications, it may also be recommended for off-highway applications, especially where all-season use is desired. ROTELLA T Multigrade exceeds the requirements of both cleaner-burning new engines and earlier models. Shell’s unique chemistry helps ensure that the oil stays in grade in all seasons and under all types of loads.

Last edited:

3rdmdqm

Shell ROTELLA T Multigrade SAE 15W-40 with Advanced Soot Control is Shell’s highest quality mixed-fleet heavy-duty engine oil. It meets the warranty and service requirements of virtually all diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers that recommend a multigrade oil. Recommended especially for all on-highway service applications, it may also be recommended for off-highway applications, especially where all-season use is desired. ROTELLA T Multigrade exceeds the requirements of both cleaner-burning new engines and earlier models. Shell’s unique chemistry helps ensure that the oil stays in grade in all seasons and under all types of loads. [thumbzup]

dozer1

Any reputable 15w40 would work IMO. What synthetic do you use in your diesels over there? I would be very suprised to hear that it wouldn't work in a deuce.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your Deuce past the 5000 mile mark..? If so I would think the engine is past the break in period.. I would use the synthetic oil you have at the local petrol station rated for a Diesel.

My 2 cents

M1031CMT

Even the cheapest synthetic oil is better than dinosaur oil. So you will be fine using pretty much any synthetic 15W40 oil.

Only problem with "some" older engines is that some seals might let the thinner synthetic oil leak past them. Tired to put synthetic in my 1988 pickup and it did nothing but leak so I had to go back to using dinosaur oil. But I put synthetic in the 1986 CUCV and it doesn't leak. All depends on the truck.

Other than that you should be fine with synthetic.

barefootin

I run Rotella Synthetic in my Deuce and all of my other vehicles. Yes, the old Chevy leaks out of every gasketed joint but the 5.7L has survived to 320,000 miles and still runs great. Just like the MG, the trail of oil helps it find it's way back home.....[thumbzup]

houdel

As stated, using synthetic oil in place of a petroleum based oil should not be a problem. Many of us here stateside use Shell Rotella or Delo 15w-40 oil in our Deuces. The Lube Orders might still specify 10w for winter and 30w for summer use but they are pretty outdated so modern multi-viscosity oils are also fine. One thing stated above a couple of times is incorrect, you should not use ANY 15w-40 oil! Use only oils which state on the container that they are for DIESEL service! Gasoline and diesel engines require different additive packages due primarily to the high soot levels in diesel service. Check out the offerings at a large truck stop, go with a popular 15w-40 DIESEL oil and you should be fine!

dozer1

As stated, using synthetic oil in place of a petroleum based oil should not be a problem. Many of us here stateside use Shell Rotella or Delo 15w-40 oil in our Deuces. The Lube Orders might still specify 10w for winter and 30w for summer use but they are pretty outdated so modern multi-viscosity oils are also fine. One thing stated above a couple of times is incorrect, you should not use ANY 15w-40 oil! Use only oils which state on the container that they are for DIESEL service! Gasoline and diesel engines require different additive packages due primarily to the high soot levels in diesel service. Check out the offerings at a large truck stop, go with a popular 15w-40 DIESEL oil and you should be fine!
Please provide an example of a 15w40 oil that is for gasoline engines only. There could be a such thing, I just have never seen it. There is some 15w40's out there for natural gas engines that I am aware of. Those I would say don't use in a deuce UNLESS you convert it to natural gas.

M1031CMT

I would have to agree with Dozer. All the 15W-40 I see for sale is for diesel use only. Maybe there is some special oil out there for some other vehicles, but all the stuff at the stores is marked for diesel engines. Just did a search online for two of the stores I buy my oil from (one place only deals in selling fuel and lubricants) and it is all for diesel engines only.

Never heard of it for gas engines. Nor have I ever personally seen a gas engine made to use it. Again I am no expert, and I am sure there might be stuff out there for gas engines, but I would guess that the vast majority of it is for diesel engines unless it is specially marked for use in gas engines.

Edit: After looking online a bit I did find some 15W-40 for gas engines, but it is made to run in propane or natural gas converted vehicles. But it is marked "15W-40 Gas" on it. So it is out there, but likely not something you will find sitting on the shelf in most places. So I guess houdl is correct in double checking to make sure it is for diesel engines on the off chance that it might be the other stuff.

Last edited:

barefootin

I would have to agree with Dozer. All the 15W-40 I see for sale is for diesel use only. Maybe there is some special oil out there for some other vehicles, but all the stuff at the stores is marked for diesel engines. Just did a search online for two of the stores I buy my oil from (one place only deals in selling fuel and lubricants) and it is all for diesel engines only.

Never heard of it for gas engines. Nor have I ever personally seen a gas engine made to use it. Again I am no expert, and I am sure there might be stuff out there for gas engines, but I would guess that the vast majority of it is for diesel engines unless it is specially marked for use in gas engines.
In one of my other worlds there is a large following that uses Rotella T6 in our gas powered toys. It keeps coaking and sludge formation down, allows us to carry higher oil pressure at idle then some other more expensive brands and has had some of the best results upon oil analysis after hard runs on the track or dyno.

Just changed my oil and put in 18qts Shell Rotella 15w40 and 4 qts lucas oil additive. i must say its alot quieter on cold start ups with the additive.

I use Mobile Delvac in my Duramax and the valvetrain with 203k looks brand new, and i use Rotella T 15w40 on all of our fleet trucks.

JasonS

All the 15W-40 I see for sale is for diesel use only. Maybe there is some special oil out there for some other vehicles, but all the stuff at the stores is marked for diesel engines. Just did a search online for two of the stores I buy my oil from (one place only deals in selling fuel and lubricants) and it is all for diesel engines only..
You need to look at the ratings. All of the 15W40 oils that I have seen are rated for both "C" and "S" applications. The "C" representing compression ignition and the "S" representing spark ignitiion.

Both Shell Rotella and Delo's datasheets specify that the oil is recommended for four stroke diesel and gasoline engines.

Last edited:

The Swede

Hi all,
Thanks all for you answers , I will use Shell Rotella T 15W-40. I know I could count on you guys.
Now me and my Duce will be happy :p.
Kind Regards Erik in Sweden.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks