• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the ultimate Navy radio hamshack

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the radio collection this gent has amassed. It is the largest operational Navy radio hamshack I have ever seen. He has done all his own resto, and his webpage is LOADED with info on his rigs. I have attached some pics from his site, and also the link:

K4NYW Navy Radio Shack

Attachments

jamieboy

WOW !!! What a great collection. I thought my 10-15 Green radio collection was getting large.
I am truly humbled! This really should not be considered a collection, but rather the start of a
Naval Radio Museum!! Great post.......

REO 54

Holy big radio set Batman!Impressive.Looks to be analog equipment though.
Side note;I was apart of a crew that dissasembled the old KVOS tv/radio transmiter site atop of Mt Constitution on Orcas Island,when America was changing over from analog to digital format.We were just chucking all that analog equipment into a 40 yrd dumpster!It still worked,yet they told us to pitch it.Now this happened all across the country at hundreds of trans. stations.What a waste.Ya,lots of it got recycled but sheesh!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
REO54 - digital is great for lightweight and ease of use, but nothing beats "hollow state" technology for ease of repair, maintenance, and quality of the sound, IMHO. Try soldering anything on surface mount technology and see - I know, I had to do it a bit in my last job. When you have to look through a microscope with a hot soldering NEEDLE and install or remove components that your eye can't even see to make your radio work, I don't consider that to be part of the enjoyment of the ham radio hobby at all. The last sentence was NOT exaggerated.

Old boat anchor gear also has most of its parts still made today, or at least available in used or NOS form, and what isn't can mostly be fabricated by the user. Funny thing is, a lot of those 50-60 year old rigs you threw away back then can probably be hauled out of the landfill and rebuilt to working order. Don't laugh, I've seen basket cases that look like an elephant took a crap on it 40 years back get restored to brand new shape and quality.

Break a new Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, or other newer solid-state surface mount rig, more than 3 years out of purchase date, and the manufacturer won't service it, they will just say "buy a new radio".

zout

my 4 grandsons would LOVE all those dials - switch's = little shiny knobs.

Likewise have no clue what it all is - but its pretty sight and looks well maintained - and free of "little" fingers.

REO 54

Your right Maddawg,analog is definitley ,done but don't misunderstand me.I was commenting on how this working and operational stuff could have been better used in developing countries or somthing wher they don't have technology yet.It even was'nt offered to collectors and such.
Like Zout said,kids love the stuff.One of our crew actually gave some of the defunct equipment to his kids to play with.They can't get enough of it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are Navy teletype machines - not too many folks have any teletypes in operating condition, they are a niche market I guess.

7mmTCU - looking over his gear, he owns THREE R-390A receivers. I own one and its a resto job, I'm glad I have it, but maybe he has three different makers to check out the differences? Must be nice to have money! :)

Nothing beats a room full of vacuum tube AM radio gear!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjg39XRkjVc&ob=av2n[/media]

Last edited:

ONTOS66

Wow!! That is a very impressive collection and it all looks operational. Someone has way too much free time and talk about "disposable income!!" Now all he needs is a ship to wrap around it.

:-D:-D:-D:-D