• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Umptilionth "First CUCV Thread"

Nikkormat

Short And Sweet...

Buying First CUCV Either A 1009 Or A 1028A1 (For The NP 205) And If I Dream Really Hard A 1031

Factors

- Live In The High Rockies Of CO (Rough, Twisty, Steep, Narrow, Mountain Roads)
- Will Be My DD/Trail Rig/Tow Meister/Bush Truck
- Likely Little To No Passengers
- Gun Toting Redneck (Gun-rack Required)
- In High School But Have Significant Funds And Mechanical Expertise
- Already Have A 90 R2500 Suburban 4X4 But Shes Tooooooooooooooooooo Cumbersome Going Up And Down A Few Of My Roads
- Own My Own Home On 10 Acres with The Shiftiest Drive Way In All The Land
- Have A 74 Highboy Ex-Ranch Truck With 54k But That Big Block Ford Gets 4-5 MPG
- Full Time $13.50 An Hour Job With Lots Of Vacation And Access To A Full Welding Shop On Non Busy Days
- No **** HOA
- Wont Usually Be Towing And When i Do It Will Be A 1750 Crestliner Sportfish
- And before it Is Said... Yeah My Life Kicks A** Right About Know :razz:

LET THE BATTLE TO SWAY MY OPINIONS BEGIN!!!:deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcusOReallyus

I'm thinking that living up there you might want to put a 6.5 turbo conversion on your list of modifications.

If it's going to be your daily driver, why would you want a 1031? I can understand wanting a 1031, but not for a DD!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Nikkormat to Steelsoldiers.

I enjoyed reading your fist post.

One word of advice. Watch your language here. While we are not prudes, we do run a family friendly site and frown on colorful language

Also re-read the forum rules so you fully understand how we run this website.

If colorful language and He!! Raising is what you want them pirate4x4 may be more suited to your taste.

Last edited:

Skinny

M1031 will not be a pleasant DD at all. I think the best DD would be an M1009 out of all the CUCV's. I'm not sure how the R2500 Suburban you already own is going to be more cumbersome to drive than an M1008 or M1031. I think if you want a CUCV then go for it. If you are looking for something better and more manageable than a 3/4 ton Suburban, you are looking in the wrong place. Maybe a Toyota, Jeep, or Suzuki would be a better fit for an economical DD 4x4.

Unless you want or need a CUCV, I would just keep the R2500 and mod it accordingly.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm....Aren't the later squarebodied 4x4 Burbs the V2500 series? R is 2x4

Skinny

I was thinking the same, I think GM went from K to V for the 4x4 designation somewhere around 87' or 88' (possibly the dual side by side lights in the grille from the top and bottom configuration). Maybe a GM freak would know the exact year. The OP said R2500 4x4 so far be it for me to correct anyone. I get in enough trouble :)

To the OP, even if your Sub is 2wd you can still make it in to a killer 4x4 with the right parts and spring hangers.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009s give you plenty of choices of how to run it. Won't have passengers? Remove the back seat. Without the back seat you can sleep in it. Need a pick-up? I'm told it's a pain but you can take the top off. It will tow your boat. It's marginally faster and gets better milage. The short wheel base makes it a decent off road vehicle. Throw some 3/4 ton axles under it and it will be as stout as a truck.

Just my 2cents2cents2cents2cents.

Evergreen is barely in the foothills. Why do you want a CUCV, to look "cool"? From experience, CUCV's are dogs at any appreciable altitude. Sweet blog.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your in High School , have a full time job and own your own home.

Impressive. I'm surprised you need our help choosing your third vehicle

Last edited:

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 has a short footprint and tight turn around radius for swichbacks. I love mine In the wood's and logging roads when I go to my property In TN. My 2cents M1009 Is the way to go. :driver:

cliffyp

Short And Sweet...

Buying First CUCV Either A 1009 Or A 1028A1 (For The NP 205) And If I Dream Really Hard A 1031

Factors

- Live In The High Rockies Of CO (Rough, Twisty, Steep, Narrow, Mountain Roads)
- Will Be My DD/Trail Rig/Tow Meister/Bush Truck
- Likely Little To No Passengers
- Gun Toting Redneck (Gun-rack Required)
- In High School But Have Significant Funds And Mechanical Expertise
- Already Have A 90 R2500 Suburban 4X4 But Shes Tooooooooooooooooooo Cumbersome Going Up And Down A Few Of My Roads
- Own My Own Home On 10 Acres with The Shiftiest Drive Way In All The Land
- Have A 74 Highboy Ex-Ranch Truck With 54k But That Big Block Ford Gets 4-5 MPG
- Full Time $13.50 An Hour Job With Lots Of Vacation And Access To A Full Welding Shop On Non Busy Days
- No **** HOA
- Wont Usually Be Towing And When i Do It Will Be A 1750 Crestliner Sportfish
- And before it Is Said... Yeah My Life Kicks A** Right About Know :razz:

LET THE BATTLE TO SWAY MY OPINIONS BEGIN!!!:deadhorse:
I just noticed something, and I'm not trying to be rude. Isn't it time consuming to capitalize the first letter of every single word? It reads well because I didn't notice the first time I read through your post.

Last edited:

Nikkormat

Thanks For All The Enthusiasm!

Whitfield - No Pics I Like My Private Wheeling Park To Tempt Anyone Into Trespassing... Sorry But The first Trip up To Her Does Bring To Mind A Certain CW McCall Song... "Black Bear Road" (I Think?)

MarcusOReallyus - I Have Seriously Considered A 6.5 Conversion In The Suburban But Cant Decide... I Carry Allot Of Tools For My My Job And Schooling And Having To Carry A Separate Generator And Welding Equipment Gets Tiring (And Annoying)

Warthog - Thanks For The Warm Welcome To The Site[thumbzup]... Sorry I Just Hate HOA's And I New That Someone Would Bring Up The Other Subject Sometime... I Tried Them; It Wasn't Quite As Warm A Welcome (Turned Into A Ford vs. Chevy Argument)

Skinny - 1031 Due To Above Mentioned Factors... It's Not Really About Drive-ability Or Size (That 450 And Good Steering Whips Her Around Good) Its Getting My Stuff Out Out Of Her

Warthog - Yeah My Bad I Was Borrowing My Grandparents V Before I Got My Sierra (See Further Into Article) Wikipedia And The VIN Confirm This "GM temporarily changed the usual "C/K" designation to "R" and "V" for the 1987 through 1991 model years. This was done to avoid confusion with the GMT400-based Chevrolet C/K pickup trucks, which were introduced in 1988, during the overlap period." Thanks For Setting Me Straight!

Gottlos - Yep Thats What I Considered It For I Was Going To Set Up A Small Surplus Trailer With My Equipment And Then Have A Separate Truck But I'm Just Dreaming :drool:

MarkerTeleMark - Evergreen Is An Approximate Location Now But Thats Where My Parents House Is And I'm Still There Till I Get Power, New Well, New Septic (Rebuild), Phone Re Run Or Working How They Should I Live Closer To Echo Lake Now Than Evergreen (My Street Name On Google Is "Jeep Road") I Would Probably Swap An Engine For A Bigger Cummins Eventually... Old Iron Is My Disease And It Set In Early

doghead, 3dAngus, chevyCUCV, 1 ton cucv K5 turbo - I Got Really REALLY RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY (Not Shouting Just Trying To Show Emphases) Lucky... I Turned 15 Got A Permit And Borrowed The Grandparents Suburban And Set Of Driving Like A Kid Who Just Got His First Bike And Also Got Into A Technical High School For Welding And Engineering And Then A Hunting Buddy Got Me His Old Job... Turned 16 And My father Bought A New Truck So I Got His 05 Sierra 4x4 1500... A Fishing Partner Of Mine Had A Heart Attack (And Survived) And Realized That At His Age He Shouldn't Live Clear Out In The Boonies So He Set About Finding A New Home... Two Months Later I Scored A Scholarship To The School I'd Been Saving For So I Had A Chunkca Change Siting Around So I Offered My Friend $20,000 & Sierra And He Said Sold Sign Here... Next Thing I Know I'm The Owner Of His Old Estate... After Utilities Were Snipped Ive Got Enough Tools And Guns To Last A Good Long Time Two Trucks To Bash Around In (Along With A Seized Up D5 A Back-Hoe And A 450 Excavator (Sans Bucket And CDL :x) A 500 Gallon Tank O Diesel!) Long Commute But I Love It

Danger Ranger - Looking For A 74 CJ5, An FC, And An Early Powder Blue Gladiaor (Graboid Hunting Anyone?) To Wheel Got One To Sell?

007 - Twas My Thinking

cliffyp - Yup But It Reads Nice And Keeps My OCD Under Control rofl :grd:

If I Missed Any Thing Please Rant Bellow :rant::soapbox:

Sorry For Inevitable Typo(s)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks